American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think metaphysics has had its day - and is gradually being replaced my empirical science. The same will eventually happen to philosophy. One day we will have little use for it. It's on its way to extinction IMO.
    Interesting. I can see why you would think that of a belief in the supernatural (although incidentally, I don't think that is in as great a state of decline as we're led to believe - the difference being between a decline in organized religion and an actual decline in theism), but philosophy? I think mankind will always be curious about his existence and whether there is something greater. Empirical science can't answer everything, and this kind of theorizing goes with being an intelligent, self-aware being in my opinion.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,980
    Given: 45,056

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Interesting. I can see why you would think that of a belief in the supernatural (although incidentally, I don't think that is in as great a state of decline as we're led to believe - the difference being between a decline in organized religion and an actual decline in theism), but philosophy? I think mankind will always be curious about his existence and whether there is something greater. Empirical science can't answer everything, and this kind of theorizing goes with being an intelligent, self-aware being in my opinion.
    I think as more and more questions that plagued humans for thousands of years are being answered - either through scientific discoveries or genetics, the less use there will be for philosophy. But you have a good point there.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    02-24-2020 @ 10:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,189
    Given: 3,351

0 Not allowed!

Putin does NOT approve of this thread.

Nor does his BFF

Nor do these lovely ladies.

Last edited by Hong Key; 06-13-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 09:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

1 Not allowed!

I think as more and more questions that plagued humans for thousands of years are being answered - either through scientific discoveries or genetics, the less use there will be for philosophy. But you have a good point there.
    Well, a case could be made for the uselessness of philosophy in any age or place.

Last Online
    09-24-2016 @ 02:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    More human than human
    Ethnicity
    Norman aristocrat
    Ancestry
    French and various British isles
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York
    Taxonomy
    Aristocratic body and facial profile
    Politics
    Feudalism ruled by Norman aristocrats
    Hero
    William the Conqueror and William DeBurgh
    Religion
    atheist but ostensibly religious to rule over peasants
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,674
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Hawking
    Chapter I ~ The Mystery of Being ~ actually begins on this theme:-

We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe. But humans are a curious species. We wonder, we seek answers. Living in this vast world that is by turns kind and cruel, and gazing at the immense heavens above, people have always asked a multitude of questions: How can we understand the world in which we find ourselves? How does the universe behave? What is the nature of reality? Where did all this come from? Did the universe need a creator? Most of us do not spend most of our time worrying about these questions, but almost all of us worry about them some of the time.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead. Philosophy has not kept up with modern developments in science, particularly physics. Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge. The purpose of this book is to give the answers that are suggested by recent discoveries and theoretical advances. They lead us to a new picture of the universe and our place in it that is very different from the traditional one, and different even from the picture we might have painted just a decade or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Wittgenstein
    6.53 The correct method in philosophy would really be the following: to say nothing except what can be said, i.e., propositions of natural science - i.e., something that has nothing to do with philosophy - and then, whenever someone else wanted to say something metaphysical, to demonstrate to him that he had failed to give a meaning to certain signs in his propositions.
    http://sqapo.com/wittgenstein.htm

Veteran Member XenophobicPrussian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-09-2022 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    50% German, 50% Polish
    Ancestry
    Mostly north-east German, Polish, some Anglo-Canadian/English and Lithuanian.
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b, I1 or bust
    mtDNA
    H1, H3, U5 or bust
    Taxonomy
    Oberkasselid(depigmented female Australoid)
    Politics
    NW-Euro Theodor Herzlism
    Hero
    I sexually identify as Jared Taylor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,075
    Given: 1,717

0 Not allowed!

Loki, what debate is there?

There isn't any, there's just stupid people and not stupid people. Debating against them is like debating people who believe the earth isn't flat.

Although, I do like watching Richard Dawkins waste his time debating some American Religious nuts and Muslims.
    The Guanche skulls as a whole are unlike those of modern European Mediterraneans, and resemble northern European series most closely, especially those in which a brachycephalic element is present, as in Burgundian and Alemanni series.
    divided them into clearly differentiated types, which include a Mediterranean, a Nordic, a "Guanche," and an Alpine. The "Guanche" accounts for 50 per cent of the whole on the four islands of Teneriffe, Gomera, Gran Canaria, and Hierro; the Nordic for 31 per cent, the Mediterranean for 13 per cent, and the Alpine
    oldschool anthropology

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    Loki, what debate is there?
    Well, the fact that billions of people on earth are still religious, means that there is still much room for interesting debate. Everyone is looking for answers, really. We humans are curious primates.

Veteran Member XenophobicPrussian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-09-2022 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    50% German, 50% Polish
    Ancestry
    Mostly north-east German, Polish, some Anglo-Canadian/English and Lithuanian.
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b, I1 or bust
    mtDNA
    H1, H3, U5 or bust
    Taxonomy
    Oberkasselid(depigmented female Australoid)
    Politics
    NW-Euro Theodor Herzlism
    Hero
    I sexually identify as Jared Taylor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,075
    Given: 1,717

0 Not allowed!

Well, the fact that billions of people on earth are still religious, means that there is still much room for interesting debate. Everyone is looking for answers, really. We humans are curious primates.
    Your first sentence assumes all humans are equal or equally smart. Less than 1 billion of those people are relevant in terms of critical thinking and intelligent conversation.

It's pretty simple, smart people aren't Religious, dumb people are, there's nothing else to it. The argument and statements of proof is already won.

It's pretty much irrelevant now in Europe, only America and some southern/eastern Euro countries are really holding the West back in terms of Religion. It's pretty irrelevant in north-east Asia too. It probably would've been gone eventually but with the influx of immigrants, Europe will be a Religious place again.
    The Guanche skulls as a whole are unlike those of modern European Mediterraneans, and resemble northern European series most closely, especially those in which a brachycephalic element is present, as in Burgundian and Alemanni series.
    divided them into clearly differentiated types, which include a Mediterranean, a Nordic, a "Guanche," and an Alpine. The "Guanche" accounts for 50 per cent of the whole on the four islands of Teneriffe, Gomera, Gran Canaria, and Hierro; the Nordic for 31 per cent, the Mediterranean for 13 per cent, and the Alpine
    oldschool anthropology

Banned
    Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    not of European descent
    Country
    Quebec
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,130
    Given: 429

1 Not allowed!

Well, the fact that billions of people on earth are still religious, means that there is still much room for interesting debate.
    Yep, here's one → A family of Klansmen (Daniel Carver, his wife and his son Daniel Carver Jr.) versus a homosexual (well, bisexual) Jew (Mark Harris) on Howard Stern. Enjoy!

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    Your first sentence assumes all humans are equal or equally smart.
    No, not really.

It's pretty simple, smart people aren't Religious, dumb people are, there's nothing else to it. The argument and statements of proof is already won.
    It's not as simple as that. Do not discount the influence of being indoctrinated from youth by your parents/community. I myself was religious for a long time, but eventually I broke away from that, thanks to my critical thinking skills/habits. And it would have been more difficult if I was still in South Africa -- where atheists are basically shunned by society in general.

I agree with you, though, that the most intelligent people would [eventually] be or become non-theists. However it does not help the debate when you call religious people stupid. It would just cause them to erect an emotional barrier, and they would stop listening to your arguments.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information