Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default Teleology in Evolution

I certainly do not speak as if Earth or God or whatever or whoever had decided to get the dinosaurs out of the way in order that mankind might come to be. That creatures such as us could not arise as long as there were giant predators such as dinosaurs or the early Cenozoic giant mammals does NOT imply that it was inevitable that such frail-bodied creatures as us would ever arise and survive. All I said was that they could not as long as there were giant predators, not that there was ever any necessity that they should.

In fact, I have never ceased to marvel that humanoids ever came to be. It seems most unlikely to me, the result of the concatenation of a series of unlikely events which gave intelligence a survival value which it had never previously possessed.

To me, this is the best argument against the existence of intelligent life on other worlds. In evolution, intelligence has not proved to be all that important. Throughout most of the history of terrestrial life, armour, speed, fangs, and claws have been far more useful. It seems as if the existence of intelligence on this planet is the result of unlikely favourable accidents. We have no reason to expect a similar scenario to be enacted on other worlds.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Dinosaurs are not extinct. They (or some of them anyway) just evolved into birds we know today, losing their teeth along the evolutionary path.
    I would question the sanity of anyone who denied the link between certain species of dinosaurs and this bird:

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-08-2012 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

We, in America, know the truth. That "dinosaurs coexisted with humans and had a place on Noah's Ark." We know it is a fact and even can show you the truth in our multi-million dollar museums...

"New museum says dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark"

Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    Barbarians the Romans couldn't handle
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Tradition and improvisation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I would question the sanity of anyone who denied the link between certain species of dinosaurs and this bird:

Take a close look at a turkey and you can also see the dinosaur in it.

Btw when Princeton University tragically dismantled its historic old school natural history museum to make room for a computer center, it was suggested that they move its Allosaur to the Woodrow Wilson School - the Political Science department. I am sure I do not need to spell out the reasoning there.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
    We, in America, know the truth. That "dinosaurs coexisted with humans and had a place on Noah's Ark." We know it is a fact and even can show you the truth in our multi-million dollar museums...

"New museum says dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark"

This is the most asinine of beliefs. The Bible speaks of successive, non-literal stages of creation, and isn't meant to be taken literally. Any dingbat who thinks that dinosaurs lived happily with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden is sadly and utterly mistaken. The Bible speaks of monsters like Rahab and Leviathan, serpents or dragons, in opposition to God and mankind that're put down so that order can be created. So, from a point of view, dinosaurs represent a mighty, yet cthonic force that needs to be defeated and destroyed in order for what Tolkien calls the Dominion of Man to take place.

Did Noah stuff a brachiosaur into the woody innards of his boat? Did he let T-Rex feast on whatever tasty morsel it happened to like while he was trying to save animalkind at the Almighty's behest? Anyone who thinks dinos roamed about with man in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago needs a head examination at the very least.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information