View Poll Results: Overlap is bigger with...

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Slavs

17 53.13%
  • East Slavs

15 46.88%
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do south Slavs overlap more with east or west Slavs?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Default Do south Slavs overlap more with east or west Slavs?

IN general. I'm curious what people think

Last Online
    01-29-2017 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,930
    Given: 1,607

2 Not allowed!

Well Slovenes as we know are basically West Slavs who migrated south and they are not Souths Slavs genetically, so if you consider them South Slavic then yes they do overlap but also northern Croats resemble a lot more West Slavs as oppose to South Slavs , because of their lighter pigmentation, shorter height and head shape. And this is where the overlap happens.

Light Serbs resemble Russians ( East Slavs ) very often and southern Russians sometimes resemble south Slavs.

The are a lot of baltid Bosniaks too.

There is genuine overlap between South and West Slavs but with East Slavs it's just a coincidence light Serbs look Russian not because of overlap.

I have been told I pass as a southern Polak or a southern Russian.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanPower View Post
    Well Slovenes as we know are basically West Slavs who migrated south and they are not Souths Slavs genetically
    Hehe, true But genetically their are continuation of all their neighbours as every nation in Europe.
    so if you consider them South Slavic then yes they do overlap but also northern Croats resemble a lot more West Slavs as oppose to South Slavs , because of their lighter pigmentation, shorter height and head shape. And this is where the overlap happens.
    But they still are South Slavs....I know Permafrost won't like it, he may consider it unfortunate historical occuence, but Slovenci are grouped with us. Yeah, they and NW Croats often look West Slavic.
    Light Serbs resemble Russians ( East Slavs ) very often and southern Russians sometimes resemble south Slavs.
    Serbs are interesting case. Some look eastern, some western. Bosniaks too.....idn, Vukodav looks like a Russian tourist in Montenegro to me, although he says his look is normal thing for Northern Montenegro. Some of them look very Slavic.
    There is genuine overlap between South and West Slavs but with East Slavs it's just a coincidence light Serbs look Russian not because of overlap.
    Well, we share part of genetics with both, so it's not that weird.
    Hard to say, you my friend have very Pan-European look. Polish member told me once he would have guessed me Russian in Poland/uncommon face, and yet most people think I look more Western/Central Euro.

Perception is a curious thing. In any case, good post bro.

I forgot to say that Bulgarians look more like darker Ukrainian/southern Russians in my opinion than West Slavic...

Banned
    Last Online
    02-19-2017 @ 11:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mr. Cogito
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lublin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,617
    Given: 2,771

2 Not allowed!

Well Slovenes as we know are basically West Slavs who migrated south
    As South Slavs in general.

PS. I'm not sure, if there is any difference between southern, northern, eastern or western Poles. We do not live in a huge country.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ołówek View Post
    As South Slavs in general.
    Good point. But Sloves are special case, I'll give them that. They used to share a lot with their dislocated brothers, the Slovaks.

PS. I'm not sure, if there is any difference between southern, northern, eastern or western Poles. We do not live in a huge country.
    I heard Poles are quite homogenous. For us it is a huge country though Do Gorals have any uniqueness of their own among other Poles or not?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mr. Cogito
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lublin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Good point. But Sloves are special case, I''ll give them that. They use to share a lot with their dislocated brothers, the Slovaks.
    Yes. Lusatian Sorbs shall be related to Serbs as well.

For us it is a huge country though
    Well, depends on which countries you compare to Poland.

Do Gorals have any uniqueness of their own among other Poles or not?
    They preserve their unique culture. For example music, traditions, etc. Mostly, their dialect is specific. Here is example of music (in such dialect):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudtlJH1fQM

However, they are not "ethnically" very different. In link above you have example of their faces. Also Silesians preserve their traditions and speech, some try to distinguish Silesian dialect as another language. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUa3kKsNoM

But only Kashubians are considered as "different". They have own language, and as typical Poles are in Lechitic group of Slavs, Kashubians are considered Pomeranians.

You will not be able, however, to guess who is Silesian, who is "Góral" and who is Kashubian, before they open their mouths. I live in Eastern part of Poland, where in the past East Slavs lived. I have a surname created on "East Slavic pattern", I'd say - Belarusian or Ukrainian. Many people talked here in Polish dialect of Ukrainian language few decades ago, it was called "chachłacki". Nowadays it is unfortunately barely used. But some people from other parts of Poland claim, that I "speak different".

Last Online
    01-29-2017 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,930
    Given: 1,607

0 Not allowed!

Hehe, true But genetically their are continuation of all their neighbours as every nation in Europe.

But they still are South Slavs....I know Permafrost won't like it, he may consider it unfortunate historical occuence, but Slovenci are grouped with us. Yeah, they and NW Croats often look West Slavic.

I don't really think so, but this is convincing. I think we'll have to agree to disagree .

Serbs are interesting case. Some look eastern, some western. Bosniaks too.....idn, Vukodav looks like a Russian tourist in Montenegro to me, although he says his look is normal thing for Northern Montenegro. Some of them look very Slavic.[/QUOTE]

Yes he sure does, I honestly don't know, but what he seems to say about blondness in Crna Gora, seems pretty far fetched to me, Montenegrins are either really dark or really light from what I've seen (minority). Having a house in Montenegro I visit often and Russian tourists can be spotted from a mile away, they wear bermudas, Hawaiian t-shirts and a bucket hat, a lot like the Polish tourists in Croatia , I've seen . However if a Russian tourist is well-dressed it is hard to tell him apart from a light Montenegrin IMO, well seeing if the Russian is tall.
    My aunt has a book on the Montenegrins I must read some day, it states that they are actually a mix between Albanians and Bosniaks and to a lesser extent Serbs.

Well, we share part of genetics with both, so it's not that weird.[/QUOTE]

True

Hard to say, you my friend have very Pan-European look. Polish member told me once he would have guessed me Russian in Poland/uncommon face, and yet most people think I look more Western/Central Euro.

Perception is a curious thing. In any case, good post bro.[/QUOTE]

You think ? I'd say I'm mostly pan-Balkan and I pass in Central Europe ( Hungary, Austria, Czech Rep etc ) but I think I look very Eastern Euro, and a lot of westerners seem to agree. Thanks btw !

I forgot to say that Bulgarians look more like darker Ukrainian/southern Russians in my opinion than West Slavic...[/QUOTE]

Hm yes good obsveration, this is very true indeed.
    Last edited by Prism; 07-01-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-16-2017 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Well Slovenes as we know are basically West Slavs who migrated south and they are not Souths Slavs genetically, so if you consider them South Slavic then yes they do overlap but also northern Croats resemble a lot more West Slavs as oppose to South Slavs , because of their lighter pigmentation, shorter height and head shape. And this is where the overlap happens.

Maybe some Serbs can occasionally pass as atypical Ukrainians (although I've personally never seen one), but as Russians normally not.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-30-2022 @ 09:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Cold People
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    DaloFaelid
    Politics
    No fear, no hate, no broken hearts
    Hero
    Richelieu, Abraham Lincoln
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,487
    Given: 1,250

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ołówek View Post
    I'm not sure, if there is any difference between southern, northern, eastern or western Poles. We do not live in a huge country.
    Some differences are, for example. Poles from Mazovia and Wielkopolska are a bit "lighter" than those from Podkarpacie or upper Silesia. I remember once my colleague from Podkarpacie came to visit me and said that, in my area there is more blondes.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mr. Cogito
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lublin
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Some differences are, for example. Poles from Mazovia and Wielkopolska are a bit "lighter" than those from Podkarpacie or upper Silesia. I remember once my colleague from Podkarpacie came to visit me and said that, in my area there is more blondes.
    I don't know if such division is nowadays accurate, as people are moving to different parts of Poland all the time. And they mix a lot. However, in the past Tatars used to live here and they mixed as well. My neighbours for example (I don't know about their ancestors), look like some of their descendants. And their son has a nickname "Murzyn" due to his skin colour. Others, on the other hand, are pale as death.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information