baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Jersey Shore Italian American reality TV show infuriates many

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10808472
    [YOUTUBE]rexAijqKgQI[/YOUTUBE]
    Why are some people offended by TV show Jersey Shore?
    By Finlo Rohrer BBC News, Washington
    The cast of Jersey Shore The cast of Jersey Shore have all become minor celebrities

The MTV reality show Jersey Shore is the latest in a parade of media stereotyping of Italian-Americans, but as the second season is broadcast in the US why is this particular ethnic group a target?

For those who have not seen it, the "reality" show Jersey Shore paints a very particular picture.

The first series saw eight loud young people descend on a house near a beach in the US state of New Jersey to indulge their hedonism. They drank, they shouted, they sat in a hot tub, much as in any other reality show.

But for Italian-American activists the show represented an attack on their culture.
    Litany of stereotypes
    Continue reading the main story

* Violent: New Jersey crime family drama The Sopranos, gangster epic The Godfather and numerous others
    * Vain: John Travolta as the preening Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever.
    * Stupid: JoeyTribbiani on the sitcom Friends.
    * Vain and stupid: Jersey Shore

It was all about the "g-word".

From the off, the characters repeatedly referred to themselves as "guidos" or loving "guidos" or living a "guido" lifestyle.

"For me using 'guido' is like using the n-word," says New Jersey state Senator Joe Vitale, refering to the derogatory term for African-American.

Andre DiMino, president of Italian-American group Unico National, agrees.

"It would be close to using the n-word. It is an insulting term. When I was younger that was a term where you would fight for your honour."

It's not a term that's well-known in the UK, but for many Italian-Americans the term can suddenly transport them back to the era of discrimination.
    The Sopranos These people are not representative of the Italian-American community

"It indicates an uneducated, boorish, stupid, low-class Italian-American," says Mr DiMino.

Of course, to the young people on the show, the term means something slightly different, something linked to being a fun-loving, well-groomed, sun-tanned gym-frequenter.

This nuance didn't make the Italian-American activists happy. Their anger is likely to be reflected in the tone of the second series, which started in the US on Thursday.

If the word "guido" is absent from the series, that would mark a major victory for the campaigners, whose actions prompted a dozen firms to pull their adverts from the first season.

They'll also want to see fewer Italian flags punctuating the drunken antics and loudness, which in this series will take place largely in Miami.
    The Godfather Nor are these

"It is basically a mindless culture - how good their tan is, how good their hair gel is, how big their muscles are. That isn't fair as a representation of Italian-Americans," says Joseph del Raso, president of the National Italian-American Foundation.

What annoys the activists is that MTV has commissioned a show that seems to have been tailored to be as brash and crass as possible, and it's branded as Italian-American. Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the diminutive, uber-tanned star of the first series is already one of the most famous Italian-Americans.

And whichever direction the new show goes in - and British fans will be able to start watching the second series on 5 September - it's part of a wider pattern of stereotyping that annoys Italian-Americans.
    THE JERSEY SHORE ISSUES
    Continue reading the main story

* Use of word "guido"
    * Frequent display of Italian flag
    * Drunken behaviour
    * Obsession with gym, tanning and laundry
    * Macho behaviour

"There is this tremendous sensitivity to other groups," says Mr DiMino. "You don't see that sensitivity when it comes to Italian-Americans, the only group it is OK to bash in the media."

There have been countless fictional portrayals of organised crime over the years, from The Godfather to New Jersey's own, The Sopranos, which have built up a particular picture.

"For decades, the connection was always made - if you were an Italian-American, you were in the Mafia or a mobster," says Mr DiMino.

The Sopranos won awards, was broadcast around the world and did address the issue of stereotyping, but the activists think it still may have influenced the thinking of simpler souls.

"People started to really identify life in the Soprano family with life in a typical Italian American family," says Mr Del Raso.

But some think there is a big difference between quality drama like The Sopranos or an Oscar-winning film like The Godfather and something like Jersey Shore, says Mr Vitale.

"They don't seek to offend, don't work in a manner that is intentionally offensive."

And for all that no-one really thinks that a significant proportion of Italian-Americans are criminals, the constant sniping irritates and reminds people of unhappier times past.

"When I bought my first home the guy wanted to know if I got the money legally," says Mr DiMino.
    Jersey Shore in 1950 Once upon a time the Jersey shore was a sedate family resort

Just having a name with a vowel at the end can be enough to cause some difficulty.

"If you had an Italian-American moving into the mid-west to compete for a job, people see your name and think you are just like the rest of them," says Mr Del Raso.

A running theme among the activists seems to be that because Italian-Americans do not face serious discrimination in contemporary society, it's seen as fine to stereotype them.

"You just can't take liberties with certain groups," says Mr Del Raso. "There are other groups that are viewed as groups that don't need protection.

"We mainstreamed very well into American society. We have enjoyed a lot of success. We are not a group that people will feel sorry for. We don't want to look like we are hypersensitive and cry-babies."

Historian Vincenza Scarpaci, author of The Journey of the Italians in America, says that despite the early Americans love of Italian culture, art and architecture, there was still a hostile reaction to the Italian immigrants who started arriving in large numbers at the beginning of the 20th Century.

"Because we have not been marginalised like some of the other European groups people don't get as upset when someone is stereotyping Italians.

"In general Italians are not looked upon negatively but when it comes to stereotyping very few people are going to stand up on the principle that what is an injury to one is an injury to all."

And that leads to the jokes.

Ms Scarpaci winces when she recalls the friend who came up to her and said: "I tell all my friends I know Vinnie Scarpaci and they better not mess with me."

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

What the fuck is that shit at 0.53?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Old Stockade American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Sounds a lot like the crying heard from the Knights Of Columbus after the Sopranos were aired.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-28-2012 @ 01:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Ancestry
    Father from Istria and mother form Calabria
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Fascism
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I just watched this show once by pure chance and almost puked , they represent all I can't stand , bitches and wannabe machos all focused on material things and avoidin any deep thought or any deep involvement , overtly dramatizin' everything that happens in their life in a negro manner , pure scum.
    They are the opposite side of white liberals , whereas they're too brainy and not race conscious at all these ones live permanently on a lower level , like animals.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Stoopid. Every ethnicity has it's own "trash".

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 10:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Germany,Italy, England,Sweden France,
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

italian americans are upset because the media has been painting italians as stupid and for years now.
    these people on this show are not even italian blood!!! and the few who may be are not a representation of the majority of italians in the the world

Banned
    Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
    What the fuck is that shit at 0.53?
    I have never seen an episode but from listening to it's main audience (young women) I have gathered that most the show consists of the cast going to clubs and getting into fights.

Indo, you're-a-peein! The Khagan's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-29-2011 @ 03:29 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ancestry
    The Coffin Ships
    Taxonomy
    Paleolithic
    Religion
    Absurd
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Italian-American activists are ridiculously retarded. And people who actively self identify as Italian-American are no better.

They have almost nothing that separates them from their other Anglo-American counterparts. Whether ones lineage is from the Isles, East of Germany, Greece or anywhere else in Europe, that individual was born here in the US (or was brought over at an extremely young age) and ones natural language is American English; you are nothing but an American.

Italian American pride is one of the most fervently asinine and pointless forms of thought when it comes to heritage.

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I watched the very first episode of "Survivor" back in 2000 I think it was. I lasted about 15 minutes into it, turned off the tv and have not watched "reality television" since. Every time I see what networks are calling "reality entertainment" I think of that Stephen King movie, "The Running Man", and the sorts of shows that the characters watched. We are not too far removed from it.
    The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Crazy Coley's Yarnwhority
    Nails By Nicole: my very small portfolio right now!!!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 10:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Germany,Italy, England,Sweden France,
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Khagan View Post
    Italian-American activists are ridiculously retarded. And people who actively self identify as Italian-American are no better.

They have almost nothing that separates them from their other Anglo-American counterparts. Whether ones lineage is from the Isles, East of Germany, Greece or anywhere else in Europe, that individual was born here in the US (or was brought over at an extremely young age) and ones natural language is American English; you are nothing but an American.

Italian American pride is one of the most fervently asinine and pointless forms of thought when it comes to heritage.
    the fact that they have such pride shows there are reasons for it, and the fact that they have that pride does in fact make a separate identity, and the fact it bothers you it further proves the point that there is a cultural separation and they are maintaining something distinct.
    so the fact i speak Haitian kreyol should make me the same as the rest of the populace? should all caucasian mexicans who speak only spanish see themselves as only mexican with no distinction?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information