View Poll Results: What do you think the legal drinking age in the U.S. should be?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 21+

2 5.41%

2 5.41%

0 0%

18 48.65%
  • 17 or 16

14 37.84%
  • Other:

1 2.70%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Drinking Age POLL

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-14-2023 @ 05:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    North-Korea
    Region
    Dardania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,239
    Given: 134

0 Not allowed!

A non issue in my eyes. Drinking is in no way essential to anyone's lifestyle and besides that anyone who really wants to will be easily able to acquire drinks anyway.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-01-2018 @ 08:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian
    Ancestry
    Poland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Prussia
    Hero
    None
    Religion
    Philosophy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,819
    Given: 4,919

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Katariina View Post
    But look at Europe, the majority of countries there have a legal age of 18 and yet America still has a higher incidence of alcohol related fatal car accidents than the European nations. I believe this is due to the tabooness of alcohol. Most American teens still drink it and I believe the higher age actually leads to destructive habits with alcohol at a younger age compared to the Europeans more laxidaisy take on alcohol.
    US is a huge country. You cannot compare it 1:1 to a European country. Americans own way more cars and drive more often, Europeans do not need to drink & drive to travel between their residence and a bar, Americans do. US is very spacious; we have to drive long distances everyday.

Drugs are taboo because of their misuse and abuse. All drugs technically begin as medical treatments. Alcohol used to be used for numbing pain and a sleep aid.

It's shameful that people must find drug-use (alcohol, smoking, weed, etc.) as an excuse to socialize and hang out… people should socialize and congregate because we actually want to be together and enjoy each other's company. That would be ideal. Sobriety is seen as a negative by too many (ill) people.

Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 04:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Nordman
    Country
    Sweden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Those who fight for what they believe in
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,247

0 Not allowed!

18 is good but it will of course not stop even younger people from getting drunk, I remember me and my friends when we were 13. 21 is for sure way to high.

Hypatia's Unrequited Lover Katariina's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-21-2015 @ 02:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Scientific
    Ethnicity
    Finnish-American
    Ancestry
    Mostly Finnish + Swedish/British Isles/German.
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    y-Dna traced to Finland. Most likely N1c1
    Taxonomy
    Nordid mostly.
    Hero
    The late and great Spock, RIP Leonard Nimoy.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,479
    Given: 1,715

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Unome View Post
    US is a huge country. You cannot compare it 1:1 to a European country. Americans own way more cars and drive more often, Europeans do not need to drink & drive to travel between their residence and a bar, Americans do. US is very spacious; we have to drive long distances everyday.

Drugs are taboo because of their misuse and abuse. All drugs technically begin as medical treatments. Alcohol used to be used for numbing pain and a sleep aid.

It's shameful that people must find drug-use (alcohol, smoking, weed, etc.) as an excuse to socialize and hang out… people should socialize and congregate because we actually want to be together and enjoy each other's company. That would be ideal. Sobriety is seen as a negative by too many (ill) people.
    I was using a statistic that compared the entirety of Europe to America, not each individual nation.
    I agree and find these things shameful to be used in such a way as well. Society needs to rely on actual conversation and sober interaction. I think the party mentality is pathetic and a sad way of living. But I do think drinking alcohol leisurely and minutely among family and close friends is not wrong. Drinking to get drunk is sad. But having two beers or wine? I think it's fine. Sobriety? It's commendable and those who can't handle drinking just a bit of alcohol without binging should stick only to sobriety. Or those who simply don't want to drink, sobriety is admirable. Though I will not demonize those who drink responsibly and scarcely. Using drugs is disgusting in all cases.
    My favorite emoticon is:

"Sitä niittää mitä kylvää."

Miten menee, suomalaiset? Jos haluat puhua suomea, lähetä viesti minulle.
    Katariina on peräisin Oulun ja Lapin läänistä. Kippis, kaverit!

Banned
    Last Online
    10-26-2016 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Multi
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a8a><> the best
    mtDNA
    X2b<><>
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 287

0 Not allowed!

I think the United States drinking laws should be like Europe's. The legal drinking age should be lowered to 18. It works for Europe. They haven't had any problems. I don't see why it couldn't work for the United States. It should be legal for 18 year olds to buy and drink alcohol but people who are between 13-17 should be able to drink a small glass of wine or a beer at night with their dinner or at a restaurant. Don't all European restaurants allow that?

Like some other members have said,why can't 18 years olds who are considered adults drink alcohol? They're allowed to go to war,vote,smoke,drive,work,etc but they cant drink a beer. That's not fair. The drinking laws,cigarette,weed/other drug laws are useless. Underage kids drink and smoke all the time. They don't care about the laws. They know they could get caught and arrested but a lot of them don't care. If they want to get drunk or high that bad then they will find a way to get what they want. One way or another. I knew tons of people who did that. I was one of those people. I drunk alcohol and smoked weed (I don't smoke anymore) plenty of times when I was underage. Even though I don't smoke weed anymore,I still think it should be legal (or at least decriminalized) in every state. The legal age should be 18.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

2 Not allowed!

If there has to be an arbitrary drinking age, let it be 20. Or 10. A nice, round number.

Last Online
    02-15-2018 @ 03:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    tell later
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,886
    Given: 2,294

2 Not allowed!

I think alcohol should be legal by around 15. Alcohol should be legal before people can get a license or a permit to drive so that they can find their limits legally before they're old enough to drive.
    I feel that the 21 age req might also encourage binge drinking in younger Americans.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

2 Not allowed!

I favor 18 by the same rationale as you. My only concern would be the transition. Are American 18-year-olds prepared to drink legally? Infantilism is widespread and dies hard, so I'm unsure.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-08-2020 @ 04:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ethnicity
    Shopi
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    ПТН ПНХ
    Politics
    Right-wing, Conservatism, Free Market, Prometheism
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,716
    Given: 5,586

0 Not allowed!

16. Alcohol should be drink irresponsible at young age, so that when you are 20 or something and get drunk you wont be hopelessly exposed how inexperienced you are

Furthermore, hangovers at teen ages are impossible no matter how much you drink. After 20 on the day after if gets harder and harder. An one should take advantage of that.

Last Online
    12-31-2023 @ 11:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavomongol
    Ethnicity
    fugly
    Country
    Pakistan
    Y-DNA
    A1DS
    mtDNA
    H1N1
    Taxonomy
    Turanid/Mongoloid
    Hero
    Black O'Banana
    Religion
    Pantardism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,818
    Given: 3,519

1 Not allowed!

I was allowed to drink some alcohol with my parents when I was little, on special occasions. Just a glass or half a glass. Today I still drink very little, I dislike most of the types of alcohol except for champagne and some red wines...I hate beer very much, blaaargh, among others of course. I never understood people getting drunk, driving or puking in a bar's water closets, etc. Anyway, I would set the limit at 18, which is already the case, and possibly lower if the drinking is done under the supervision of a parent. And obviously your older bro/sis does not count as a parent!
    - Mongol Pride Worldwide -
    - Uzbek Pride Worldwide -
    -------------------------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information