Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    Pardon me, but I have strong doubts about this. I always thought the demographic continuity of the proto-Indo-Europeans persisted mostly in the East, while their language(s) spread to other parts of Europe via cultural diffusion.

F.e. there were several ancient migration waves of IE speakers into the Balkans, and while the local populace was eventually linguistically assimilated, the newcomers were assimilated in turn, only genetically.
    I'll rephrase my idea. Northern-Europeans who speak Indo-European languages, do not look like the people who brought Indo-European languages into Europe.

esaima

0 Not allowed!

Have Setu speaking Setus lived 11 000 or 8400 years in their land- i doubt about this but anyway, they are nice.
    Some Setu people, well-known in Estonia:

Anne Vabarna (1877-1964) is considered to be the greatest Setu folk singer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Vabarna

Hilana Taarka (1856-1933), an other legendary Setu folk singer

Arvo Kukumägi, film actor

Paul Hagu, ethnologist and folklorist

Inara Luigas, parliament member from Setu area

Ilmar Vananurm, journalist and poet

Aare Hõrn, Setu activist

Last Online
    04-06-2014 @ 08:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North European
    Ethnicity
    Svensk
    Country
    Sweden
    Politics
    Ethnic nationalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I wonder it they have anything to do with the Sitones mentioned by Tacitus.

The Baltic-Finnic languages can´t hardly be older then 2500 in the area, so they are not the oldest settled group in Europe. The oldest ethnolinguistic group in Europe is most likely the Basques (6500 years) followed by the Lithuanians and the Swedes on a shared second placed (5000 years). The oldest settlements, non hunter-gathering, in Europe would be somewhere in Balkan, Bulgaria is a likely place.

Last Online
    08-22-2014 @ 04:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic
    Ethnicity
    Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenna View Post
    My point is, the ancestors of modern Estonians were in Estonia, before the creators of European civilization, had arrived to their current homeland(Greece).
    Hmm? Sorry, but I fail to understand the point of your comparison. True, part of the ancestors of Estonians were there early, but similarly part of the ancestors of Greeks were there (in Greece), too. And even earlier, when Estonia was still under the ice cover.

And if you are talking about the linguistic ancestors: Greece was greekicized about 4000 years ago, and Estonia wasn't Uralicized at least before that. As an Estonian, you can probably read Finnish at some level:

http://www.kotikielenseura.fi/viritt...tut/2006_2.pdf

http://www.sgr.fi/susa/92/hakkinen.pdf

And if you still consider believing in Wiik, Künnap etc., it might be illuminating for you to understand, what the continuity arguments cannot prove, even in theory:

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/jphakkin/Jatkuvuus1.pdf

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic
    Ethnicity
    Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
    The Baltic-Finnic languages can´t hardly be older then 2500 in the area, so they are not the oldest settled group in Europe. The oldest ethnolinguistic group in Europe is most likely the Basques (6500 years) followed by the Lithuanians and the Swedes on a shared second placed (5000 years). The oldest settlements, non hunter-gathering, in Europe would be somewhere in Balkan, Bulgaria is a likely place.
    Swedes as an ethnolinguistic group are only about 1000 years old – before that they were not diverged from Old Scandinavians. Lithuanians may be “older” in that case, but only as old as the differentiation within East Baltic language group. And Lithuanians, just like Swedes and all the other peoples, are not an ancient monolith: there were different Baltic and Scandinavian dialects, and those which were connected under one ruler, became unified. If the historical developments would have been different, so would be the limits of Swedes (against Danish and Norwegians) and Lithuanians (against Latvians).

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
    I wonder it they have anything to do with the Sitones mentioned by Tacitus.

O_O

You're only correct with 1 statement, that Basques are one of the oldest people in Europe.

Firstly, Swedes aren't 5000 years old, even Germanics aren't that old. Lithuanians also aren't old.

Compared to Estonians, Balts are "recent" immigrants to the area. 1000 years ago, modern-day Latvia was still mostly Finnic. It were mostly the Livonians who fought the crusaders, not the Latgals.

Your statements amazed me.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaska View Post
    Hmm? Sorry, but I fail to understand the point of your comparison. True, part of the ancestors of Estonians were there early, but similarly part of the ancestors of Greeks were there (in Greece), too. And even earlier, when Estonia was still under the ice cover.

And if you are talking about the linguistic ancestors: Greece was greekicized about 4000 years ago, and Estonia wasn't Uralicized at least before that. As an Estonian, you can probably read Finnish at some level:

http://www.kotikielenseura.fi/viritt...tut/2006_2.pdf

http://www.sgr.fi/susa/92/hakkinen.pdf

And if you still consider believing in Wiik, Künnap etc., it might be illuminating for you to understand, what the continuity arguments cannot prove, even in theory:

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/jphakkin/Jatkuvuus1.pdf
    I can read Finnish as much as you can read Estonian.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic
    Ethnicity
    Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenna
    I can read Finnish as much as you can read Estonian.
    Väga hea! Sa saad aru kõigidest mu linkidest!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenna
    Compared to Estonians, Balts are "recent" immigrants to the area. 1000 years ago, modern-day Latvia was still mostly Finnic. It were mostly the Livonians who fought the crusaders, not the Latgals.
    Northeastern Latvia was mainly Finnic, but it seems that the Livonians were actually quite recent immigrants into Courland (about ~1000 AD).

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Interesting. I was always under the impression that the Irish were the most settled people north of the Alps.
    [Signature Pending]

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaska View Post
    Väga hea! Sa saad aru kõigidest mu linkidest!
    Ma tahtsin seda öelda, et ma ei räägi soome keelt. Minä en puhu suomalaisen.

Northeastern Latvia was mainly Finnic, but it seems that the Livonians were actually quite recent immigrants into Courland (about ~1000 AD).
    You're out of your mind. No one argues the fact that Finnic people were in the Baltic area before the Balts. Genetics proves this.

and by the way, Livonians lived in Western-Latvia. Not North-Eastern Latvia.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information