Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,637
    Given: 4,645

0 Not allowed!

On this video there are many typical Bulgarian faces.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

2 Not allowed!

in Varna the average looks weren't much different from those in northeast Romania - there's a large area of overlap in looks in Eastern Europe that seems to go (broadly) from Ukraine down to Bulgaria, with a slight gradient in the amount of certain cases, of course. I'd even say Moldova region is more similar to both Bulgaria and nearby Ukrainian regions than to Transylvania in looks overall, because the Carpathians act as a border and west of it there's much more Dinaric influence, it's maybe the dominant one, while east of it it's not, but Pontid is instead, with Neo Danubian a sizeable minority and only here and there some Dinarid. as you approach the mountains you start to also see Alpinids. one difference though between Ukraine, Moldova and Bulgaria is in body size, for some reason Bulgarians are visibly more robust and often with large heads.

West Balkan vs East Balkan looks, basically, in which Moldova and Wallachia are aligned to East Balkan and Transylvania/Banat are aligned to West Balkan

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 07:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,367
    Given: 2,143

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    in Varna the average looks weren't much different from those in northeast Romania - there's a large area of overlap in looks in Eastern Europe that seems to go (broadly) from Ukraine down to Bulgaria, with a slight gradient in the amount of certain cases, of course. I'd even say Moldova region is more similar to both Bulgaria and nearby Ukrainian regions than to Transylvania in looks overall, because the Carpathians act as a border and west of it there's much more Dinaric influence, it's maybe the dominant one, while east of it it's not, but Pontid is instead, with Neo Danubian a sizeable minority and only here and there some Dinarid. as you approach the mountains you start to also see Alpinids. one difference though between Ukraine, Moldova and Bulgaria is in body size, for some reason Bulgarians are visibly more robust and often with large heads.

West Balkan vs East Balkan looks, basically, in which Moldova and Wallachia are aligned to East Balkan and Transylvania/Banat are aligned to West Balkan
    What vibe Varna gives to you? I have heard from Ukrainians that it resembles Odessa a bit

Also Varna has a large Russian speaking population a lot of mixed BG Rus people

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Varda View Post
    On this video there are many typical Bulgarian faces.

Serb expert on typical Bulgarian looks
    ��

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pelikarski View Post
    What vibe Varna gives to you? I have heard from Ukrainians that it resembles Odessa a bit

Also Varna has a large Russian speaking population a lot of mixed BG Rus people

we absolutely loved it - we stayed in the so-called Greek neighbourhood, just by the park, we've visited it on the go last year as well, that's why we decided to come back and stay.

indeed there's a similarity to Odessa which I've mentioned as well, keeping the proportions.

what we loved most was the huge area in which you could just walk without being bothered by streets with cars, basically from across the cathedral down to the beach you can walk without crossing any street, the pedestrian in the city centre going into the park. the park had it all, for all age groups, and it's huge and the thing that sets Varna apart. the beach was more than decent for a public one and the view from the beach with the park, the hills in the background and the Galata Cape was very nice.

the pedestrian in the city centre is wonderful - the amount of old buildings wonderfully preserved and full of life, still inhabited and hosting shops and bars, so alive. the fact that they didn't intermix Communist-era buildings in the city centre is something rare for this part of the continent and gives a very nice vibe to the city.

the secondary streets in the Greek neighbourhood as well, are very nice to walk, I love the pre-WW2 architecture and Varna has plenty.

I was able to get around without any problems just using the not so great Russian I know, it was more than enough. I've also heard it everywhere around the city. several older people asked us if we're Russian and they seemed a bit disappointed we were Romanian. probably my blond kids and my wife's appearance fooled them, as I myself don't think I look Russian. anyway they are so used to Russian tourists there that by default they thought we might be Russian probably. at the playground my kids were playing with kids speaking Bulgarian, Russian, Ukrainian, it was nice to see it, parents exchanging smiles and involving in casual talk, just a normal and chill atmosphere away from the political crap.

we have a long list of things to see in Bulgaria but my wife is less enthusiastic - she wants just some sun, some beach, not a road trip but I want to somehow also get to Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo, Gabrovo area (Bozhentzi, Etar), Ruse, Burgas, Nesebar, Sozopol...

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    we absolutely loved it - we stayed in the so-called Greek neighbourhood, just by the park, we've visited it on the go last year as well, that's why we decided to come back and stay.

indeed there's a similarity to Odessa which I've mentioned as well, keeping the proportions.

what we loved most was the huge area in which you could just walk without being bothered by streets with cars, basically from across the cathedral down to the beach you can walk without crossing any street, the pedestrian in the city centre going into the park. the park had it all, for all age groups, and it's huge and the thing that sets Varna apart. the beach was more than decent for a public one and the view from the beach with the park, the hills in the background and the Galata Cape was very nice.

the pedestrian in the city centre is wonderful - the amount of old buildings wonderfully preserved and full of life, still inhabited and hosting shops and bars, so alive. the fact that they didn't intermix Communist-era buildings in the city centre is something rare for this part of the continent and gives a very nice vibe to the city.

the secondary streets in the Greek neighbourhood as well, are very nice to walk, I love the pre-WW2 architecture and Varna has plenty.

I was able to get around without any problems just using the not so great Russian I know, it was more than enough. I've also heard it everywhere around the city. several older people asked us if we're Russian and they seemed a bit disappointed we were Romanian. probably my blond kids and my wife's appearance fooled them, as I myself don't think I look Russian. anyway they are so used to Russian tourists there that by default they thought we might be Russian probably. at the playground my kids were playing with kids speaking Bulgarian, Russian, Ukrainian, it was nice to see it, parents exchanging smiles and involving in casual talk, just a normal and chill atmosphere away from the political crap.

we have a long list of things to see in Bulgaria but my wife is less enthusiastic - she wants just some sun, some beach, not a road trip but I want to somehow also get to Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo, Gabrovo area (Bozhentzi, Etar), Ruse, Burgas, Nesebar, Sozopol...
    Last year I visited both Varna and Burgas and my impression was that Burgas was better maintained, better infrastructure, commie blocks renovated, bike alleys, Varna is more beautiful with nice sea garden and old buildings, but looked a bit neglected

Overall the Southern Black Sea coast is more developed with places like Nesebar and Sozopol being superb

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Italic-Illyrian-Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Ancestry
    Italics and Greeks (Greek-Roman roots)
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Apulia