View Poll Results: What's the proto-germanic haplogroup ?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • R-U106

12 52.17%
  • I1

11 47.83%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What is the proto-germanic haplogroup ? I1 or R-U106 ?

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 02:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    West Eurasian Paleolithic hunter-gatherers
    Country
    Turkey
    Region
    Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Alpine; North Pontid; Med; CM
    Politics
    Might Is Right
    Hero
    Herkus Monte; Rudolf von Sebottendorf; Aleister Crowley
    Religion
    Anti-Abrahamic; Neoplatonic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Äijä View Post
    Baltic Finns appear in the map like magic later.

Like they dont exist in the sagas yet they have been in the region since Bronze Age, this should raise questions but it usually does not.

Not to mention the N1c appearance in the region.
    Psychological thriller.

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 09:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Direct Democracy, Confederation of the free and old.
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,844
    Given: 4,542

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawalye View Post
    The battle of Hastings was only a succession war, the normans have a negligeable influence on the modern englishman.

Further informations on the subclades could lead to a better knowledge of the impact of the germanic invasion in Britain, it seems that the celtic influence could be higher than expected but different than the irish, welsh and Scott, for me
    I ment that culturally Normans had a huge impact, but I would think genetically also above their numbers, but they where large part Norse themselves.

How much of the R1b is of Nordic origin is the deciding factor, we now know women also moved from the continent so that brings up the Germanic part.
    "If the enemy is not attacking from the East it has flanked." Finnish proverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8D9GaQwIs

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-02-2022 @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    North Sea
    Country
    China
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,289
    Given: 6,248

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawalye View Post
    The U106 is probably related to the halstat and la tène culture but it's older, there are also many branches.

I would say south Scandinavia because it's where the germanic culture was born.
    R1b U106 is probably not related to halstat and la tene. First R1b U106 has been found in Southern Sweden 2275-2032 BC BC and plotted with Norwegians and Swedes. It's been suggested that these people likely contributed significantly to Proto-Germanics.

At the moment it's impossible to say where exactly Proto-Germanic was born, however you should take a look at this. It's from the site anthrogenica and it's quite interesting.

People speaking a dialect of Proto-Indo-European moved north from the Usatovo culture on the European steppe.
    They crossed the north European plain, where they mixed with TRB farmers, who spoke a non-IE language, and they adopted a lot of words from that language. They also came into contact with Celtic [correction - Italo-Celtic/western IE] speakers.
    The mixed group entered Scandinavia, which at the time had a suitable climate for arable farming. There they encountered people speaking other languages and adopted words from them. (About 1/3 of the Germanic lexicon is non-IE.)
    Then the climate turned too cold and wet in Scandinavia, forcing farmers south into the Jastorf culture and its equivalent in Pomerania. Here they came into contact with iron-working Celts and adopted some words from them. This is where the final sound changes seem to have taken place that created Proto-Germanic about 500 BC.
    Proto-Germanic is the final stage of the language before it split into East, West and North Germanic. The first to split away was East Germanic (Gothic). The Goths moved south not because of floods (as far as I know), but in pursuit of better opportunities to the south, with which they were familiar because of the amber route.
    Flooding certainly seems to be involved in driving some of the West Germanic speakers away from the (Proto-Germanic) homeland and areas that they had spread into from that homeland. Obviously they didn't all leave!

I would say R1b-U106, R1a and R1b-L11* contributed mostly to Proto-Germanic. Germanic language has around 1/3 non-ie the Germanic lexicon. I believe that I1 was rather ''Germanized'' and partly contributed the 1/3 non-ie of the Germanic lexicon

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hevo View Post
    R1b U106 is probably not related to halstat and la tene. First R1b U106 has been found in Southern Sweden 2275-2032 BC BC and plotted with Norwegians and Swedes. It's been suggested that these people likely contributed significantly to Proto-Germanics.

At the moment it's impossible to say where exactly Proto-Germanic was born, however you should take a look at this. It's from the site anthrogenica and it's quite interesting.

I would say R1b-U106, R1a and R1b-L11* contributed mostly to Proto-Germanic. Germanic language has around 1/3 non-ie the Germanic lexicon. I believe that I1 was rather ''Germanized'' and partly contributed the 1/3 non-ie of the Germanic lexicon
    This a traditional and good explanation but it does not explain the proto-Finnic contact from the start, more northern location in Sweden, Finland or Baltic coast would explain it.

Gutasaga tells that the first place Goths migrated to on their route to modern Russia was in modern Estonia, and East-Germanic was the first to separate from proto-Germanic, again pointing more North.

I dont take everything literally in the sagas but brushing them aside is also not wise IMO.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 02:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    iberian and levantine
    Ancestry
    Portugal,Spain,Lebanon and possible Sephardi
    Country
    Brasil
    Taxonomy
    mediterranean
    Religion
    christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,614
    Given: 1,554

0 Not allowed!

I1

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-02-2022 @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    North Sea
    Country
    China
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,289
    Given: 6,248

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Äijä View Post
    This a traditional and good explanation but it does not explain the proto-Finnic contact from the start, more northern location in Sweden, Finland or Baltic coast would explain it.
    I am aware of Jaska's posts and views about Proto-Germanic.

His post

Your open-minded suggestion seems quite valid at the moment, if we take a look at the linguistic evidence:

1. Lots of Germanic loanwords not only in Finnish but in Saami, too, including layers like: Northwest Indo-European, Pre-Germanic, Palaeo-Germanic, Proto-Germanic, Northwest-Germanic, Proto-Nordic...
    2. Only few loanwords between Germanic and Baltic (or Slavic), and none preceding the proper Proto-Germanic level of reconstruction (although older loanwords would be more difficult to distinguish from the real inherited cognates).
    3. Proto-Finnic and Proto-Saami are found in the Southwestern Finland at the Proto-Germanic era, around 500 BC (since which we also have retained Germanic placenames in Finland); before that Finnic was spoken in the southern side of Gulf of Finland, and Saami somewhere in Karelia. Saami does not spread to Lapland before the Christian Era, and Finnish still a millennium later.

Indeed, we have a solid basis to argue that the Germanic homeland was in Southwestern Finland (maybe already since the Corded Ware Culture).

One counter-argument:
    Few proposed Celtic loanwords in Germanic supposedly precede the Grimm's Law, thus representing southwestern contacts already during the Palaeo-Germanic times (~1000-500 BC).
    One thing is for sure that the development of the Proto-Germanic language was very complicated, all options are still open.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I am aware of Jaska's posts and views about Proto-Germanic.

One thing is for sure that the development of the Proto-Germanic language was very complicated, all options are still open.
    There are also some recent papers surrounding this issue, the proto-Finnic contact from the start is a fact.

Question is where are the two in close contact, if it is not in Estonia or Finland then we have the L550 with a possible spread also in Sweden at that time.

http://www.yfull.com/tree/N-Z4908/

My guess is that Jaska is working on something as he has been pretty quiet.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-29-2023 @ 03:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ancestry
    Steppe
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Corded
    Politics
    Esoteric
    Hero
    Those that fought for a better world (If you know, you know)
    Religion
    Natural
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,828
    Given: 9,772

0 Not allowed!

how about R1a-L664? R1b would of came from R1a right?

Banned
    Last Online
    06-03-2018 @ 06:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 12

1 Not allowed!

Surely not I1, as this is pre-Germanic factor. Pre means BEFORE. And Germanic people are Indo-Europeans. I-people are not.

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

el bumpo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information