Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: East Asians, Southeast Asians, and Pacific Islanders and etc' Genetic Discussion

Banned
    Last Online
    02-06-2021 @ 03:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    None
    Country
    Ethiopia
    Religion
    Animism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,703
    Given: 5,603

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazouzu View Post
    Ahh so for your Mongoloid component it is not FULLY 100% Siberian since there is also that 37.28% 'E_Asian' as well. It will probably depend on the calculator though as it is relative to what reference population was selected for a certain component making that population the "pure" population.

On some GEDmatch calcs I score zero Siberian while on others 5-10%+

On this PCA Siberians seem distant enough to be their own race it looks, in between East Asians and Native Americans it appears:
    Based on PCA, it seems like East Asian are as distant from Native Americans as they are from Europeans, Central and South Asians. This makes a lot of sense when looking it through FST datas.

Visayan Warrior
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 02:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Taxonomy
    Deutromalayid + Palaungid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 28

1 Not allowed!

Default Chamorro's AncestryDNA result

His y-dna and mtdna

Chamorro Roots researcher Bernard Punzalan uses historical records to develop the massive archive that helps thousands of Guam's native inhabitants discover their ancestry. Recently DNA sampling has added another layer to Punzalan's family history, and the roots of his tree, he discovered, go much, much deeper.

Chamorro Roots is a digital archive of more than 350,000 records compiled by Punzalan in recent years. It started as a means of self-discovery before becoming a widely used resource for Chamorros at home and abroad.

"I started out just doing the research for myself and my sons. I wanted to leave something behind for them," Punzalan said. "But then as I was digging into records from before the 1800s things started getting difficult. I realized that If I was having this problem, there are probably others that are hitting this wall also."

In 2015, Miguel Vilar, project manager and scientific lead for National Geographic Society's Genographic Project, delivered a lecture at the University of Guam about the known origins of the indigenous people of the Marianas as indicated by connections made through samples of Chamorros' DNA.

'Threw caution to the wind'

Punzalan had long been opposed to submitting his DNA for testing, citing identity theft concerns. But in December last year, after being enticed by a discounted Ancenstry.com package, the U.S. Army veteran finally buckled.

"The price went down from $99 to $69 on Ancestry.com and I sort just threw caution to the wind," Punzalan said. "But what's great about it is you can extract the raw data and plug it into other genealogy systems. You can't do that with National Geographic's data, which I've also used."

Like many participants in these genealogy tests, Punzalan was surprised to learn that his DNA shared unexpected similarities with people from a number of different regions.

For instance, one screenshot provided by Punzalan shows that his DNA shares less-than-1 percent similarities with peoples from Scandinavia and Northwest Russia.

27-percent Polynesian

But he was most amazed by another set of data.

"I was actually more surprised with my ancestry's 27 percent Pacific Islander finding, and the data pegging me as Polynesian," Punzalan said. "I think what this demonstrates is that more people from the Marianas need to be tested to power up the numbers and geography."

According to the Genographic Project, maternal haplogroups E1 and E2 are found most frequently in the Marianas. Punzalan belongs to branch E2A, which emerged from Sundaland, present-day Indonesia, some 15,000 years ago.

While DNA genealogy data is interesting in its exploration of human migration, Punzalan said it should be utilized with careful scrutiny.

Many Pacific Islander scholars are against "blood quantum," the fractionalizing of one's "blood amount," designations of identity.

In Hawaii for instance, the legal definition of "native Hawaiian" is a "descendant with at least one-half blood quantum of individuals inhabiting the Hawaiian Islands prior to 1778," according to the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act of 1920.

But the problem with this logic is that it supposes that there was ever a "full-blooded Hawaiian," and that if a person is less-than one-half Hawaiian, they will no longer be eligible for distinct Native rights, chiefly, in this case, designated Hawaiian lands.

"I used to think blood quantum was important," Punzalan said. "The Punzalan name is Filipino, and for many years I struggled to come to terms with that and try to 'prove' how Chamorro I was."

"But I realized that's it's not about blood. There's a spiritual energy Chamorros have, as well as other islanders, that makes us who we are. Blood and DNA are Western concepts of race. We shouldn't let those things determine who we are," Punzalan said.

In the meantime, Punzalan said he thinks DNA will help "fill in the gaps" in ancestral data pre-1898.

Link: https://www.postguam.com/news/local/...47872e59f.html

Visayan Warrior
    Last Online
    04-30-2018 @ 02:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Taxonomy
    Deutromalayid + Palaungid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 28

1 Not allowed!

The lead scientist of a study examining the genetics of Chamorros said it was “a huge surprise” when researchers discovered a connection between Native Americans and the indigenous people of Guam and nearby Pacific islands.

Miguel Vilar, a molecular anthropologist and science writer, presented his findings in a lecture Tuesday at the University of Guam.

Vilar is the science manager for National Geographic’s Genographic Project, an initiative that seeks to use DNA from participants to discover human genetic roots.

No seat was left vacant in the crowded University lecture hall during his speech. Remaining audience members had to stand elbow-to-elbow along the sides of the room.

“At first I couldn’t figure out what it was,” Vilar said, describing the discovery of Native American ancestry in Chamorro DNA. “I was thinking they were actually Native Americans that migrated over here.”
    Dr. Miguel Vilar, project manager and scientific lead

(Photo: Mark Scott/PDN)

But history books pointed to a more likely answer, he added. Long ago, people from the Mexico region came to Guam, and depending on when they came, they could’ve already been part of a mixed European-Native American gene pool, he said.

“Those were the people coming over and that would explain the Native American (genes),” he said. “But it was unexpected.”

The study examined DNA from 200 participants that were collected in two separate time periods — the first being in the ’90s and ’00s. In that timeframe, DNA was collected from 122 individuals. Eighty-five were from Guam, 31 were from Saipan and six were from Rota.

The participants from the sample were Chamorro, Carolinian and a combination of the two.

In 2013, about 85 new participants from Guam submitted DNA samples. About 69 of the new samples were Chamorros.

Results from the study confirmed linguistic and archaeological evidence that Chamorros originated somewhere in Eastern Indonesia, Vilar said.

And, additionally, Vilar said the data showed Native American ancestry in Chamorro DNA.

That finding was “a huge surprise,” he said.
    Documentary about Chamorros released on DVD, Blu-ray

In just about all of the strains of Chamorro DNA, Vilar said findings showed 3 to 4 percent of Native American ancestry.

“Some were as high as 7, some, 0 to 1 percent,” he said. “Three to 4 percent was common.”

Vilar said results of his research found Mexicans had about 50 to 70 percent Native American ancestry.

“Spanish people were bringing people over from Mexico by the 17th century, mixing with the Native American population in Mexico,” he said.

Research findings also concluded that, on average, each Chamorro person in the study had about 20 percent European ancestry.

Vilar said it’s unclear what the DNA of a person who’s 100 percent Chamorro would look like at this point because of scientific and technological limitations.

Added insight into Chamorro DNA could be found if more Chamorros participated in the project, he said.

To find out more about the project and how to participate, individuals can visit http://*******/203X9HU.

Vilar was the 29th speaker in the UOG presidential series lecture. The series has featured distinguished guest speakers who have shared their knowledge on various topics with the university community.

The lecture will be available on the University of Guam website next week, said university spokesman Jonas Macapinlac.

Link: http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/lo...tors/79390316/

Last Online
    02-04-2019 @ 01:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tonkinese
    Ethnicity
    Vietnamese
    Ancestry
    North Vietnam
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    O-M7
    mtDNA
    M7b1
    Taxonomy
    Sinid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 41

1 Not allowed!

I think the terms NE Asian, East Asian, and SE Asian are more useful for geographic identification than for genetic grouping.

The thing that’s apparent is there are genetic clusters between Asians. NE Asian ethnicities can actually be genetically far from each other. The same is true with SE Asians. For instance, the genetic distance between Beijing Han to Japanese is even further than the distance between Beijing Han and Vietnamese — quite far. Likewise the distance between Vietnamese and Cambodian is equivalent to Vietnamese and Beijing Han, also far. Most Filipinos are very far from mainland SE Asians and even further from NE Asians. Malay and Indonesians as well.

Han Chinese form a long continuum, as they’re not as tightly clustered as most other ethnicities in continental Asia.

The table below compares genetic distance between ethnicities to the left and top. The larger the number the greater the distance.

In order of closeness for Beijing Chinese:
    1. Southern Chinese
    2. Vietnamese
    3. Japanese
    4. Thai
    5. Cambodian
    6. Filipino
    7. Indonesian
    8. Iban
    9. Malaysian
    10. Taiwanese aborigine

In order of closeness for Vietnamese:
    1. Southern Chinese
    2. Thai
    3. Beijing Chinese, Cambodian
    4. Filipino
    5. Indonesian
    6. Japan, Malaysian, Iban
    7. Taiwanese aborigine

Southern Chinese straddle between Beijing Chinese and Vietnamese, being equidistant between both. The southern Han Chinese samples typically used are from 1000 Genomes where they were taken from Fujian and Hunan province.

Last Online
    11-18-2023 @ 12:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Oceanian/Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Ancestry
    Moluccan/Ashkenazi
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Malayo-Melanesid/Toalid/Dinarid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 1,319

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Timawa View Post
    There was not a lot of discussion about Asians' genetic studies going here. I will post various charts and link them to articles.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep14375

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep26066#f5
    Since this graph totally ignored Eastern Indonesia and Timor Leste (again) here are some more genetic studies to finish it.

https://ibb.co/VMmqY6q
    https://ibb.co/jkcHF2K
    Last edited by KuakoVoice; 08-10-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Last Online
    04-10-2023 @ 11:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tamil
    Ethnicity
    Paniya
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenious View Post

quite interesting that chinese have finnish
    That test is reverse causation. Like saying that Spaniards are part Mexican

Banned
    Last Online
    03-12-2024 @ 11:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dongyi
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Ancestry
    Dongyi
    Country
    China
    Y-DNA
    O2a1c2*
    mtDNA
    D4
    Religion
    Taoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

Embrace,bros

Banned
    Last Online
    03-12-2024 @ 11:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Dongyi
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Ancestry
    Dongyi
    Country
    China
    Y-DNA
    O2a1c2*
    mtDNA
    D4
    Religion
    Taoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ图片20230425222541.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	120120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ图片20230425234943.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	120121

Last edited by Gaoyuan; 04-25-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Viscount of Sabugosa
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Chimera
    Ethnicity
    Frankenstein's Creature
    Ancestry
    Elwetritsch
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Südatlantid/Pamp(as)id
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 715
    Given: 663

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Timawa View Post
    There was not a lot of discussion about Asians' genetic studies going here. I will post various charts and link them to articles.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep14375
    I'm quite confused. The paper defines the Southeast Asian components as below:
    Southeast Asian 1 and Southeast Asian 2 represent the aboriginal Southeast Asian component and Austronesian component, respectively.
    But then there's the following commentary:
    In addition, the proportions of Austronesian admixture (represented by the Taiwanese aborigines; labeled as Southeast Asian 1 in Fig. 3) and aboriginal Southeast Asian admixture (represented by Proto-Malays; labeled as Southeast Asian 2 in Fig. 3) [...]
    There's also this analysis further in the paper:
    The Austronesian and Southeast Asian aborigines have been determined to be the predominant components. As indicated by our results, aboriginal Taiwanese (Ami and Atayal) and Proto-Malays have the largest proportion of these two components; [...] The genetic pattern of the Austronesian component across Southeast Asians follows the Austronesian migration route supported in the “Out of Taiwan” hypothesis23,24,25, which influenced the eastern part of Southeast Asian more than the western part of it. However, the Proto-Malay component, which has been reported to be an ancient Southeast Asian component26, is centered in the west.
    Based on which I assume its first definition of the two components mixed them up and in reality the Southeast Asian 1 component is actually Austronesian and the Southeast Asian 2 one is Proto-Malay. What baffles me is that they separated Proto-Malays from Austronesians. Why's that?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information