Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: To people of mixed ethnicity or mixed race, how do you identify?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-20-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Voodoo
    Ethnicity
    Anthropofagist + Ifá Practitioner
    Ancestry
    Jumanji
    Country
    Haiti
    Region
    Estado de Durango
    Y-DNA
    I1
    Taxonomy
    Bantuid + some Veddoid (1/128) + Kaffirid (1/555)
    Politics
    Papa Doc
    Hero
    Idi Amin + Kmack
    Religion
    Voodoo
    Relationship Status
    I killed my 4 wives
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,378
    Given: 3,032

2 Not allowed!

I'm ethno-nationalist, i think modern states are fake creations of the capitalist bourgeoisie, so my fidelity belongs to my ethnicity. I'm brazilian of most southern european background (three of my grandparents are of recent immigrant stock), but i think 'Brazil' like any other modern state is an artificial entity (on an certain way even ethnicities are cultural creations, but there is a more stronger base to some form of ethnic brotherhood that is there for centuries than in pure artificial creations of state-nationalists of XIXth century). I identify primarily as greek, since most of my ancestors come from Bovesia and other greek speaking minorities in Calabria. I also have Portuguese and Sicilian heritage, and some distant amerindian (less than 5%), but the core of my identity is the greek-calabrese one. But despite that, i believe in ethno-pluralism and think every culture in the world should be respected, and if the individuals want to maintain some aspects of it they shouldn't be harmed by political correctness and globalist organizations (like the EU or UN).

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frater Taciturnus View Post
    I'm ethno-nationalist, i think modern states are fake creations of the capitalist bourgeoisie, so my fidelity belongs to my ethnicity. I'm brazilian of most southern european background (three of my grandparents are of recent immigrant stock), but i think 'Brazil' like any other modern state is an artificial entity (on an certain way even ethnicities are cultural creations, but there is a more stronger base to some form of ethnic brotherhood that is there for centuries than in pure artificial creations of state-nationalists of XIXth century). I identify primarily as greek, since most of my ancestors come from Bovesia and other greek speaking minorities in Calabria. I also have Portuguese and Sicilian heritage, and some distant amerindian (less than 5%), but the core of my identity is the greek-calabrese one. But despite that, i believe in ethno-pluralism and think every culture in the world should be respected, and if the individuals want to maintain some aspects of it they shouldn't be harmed by political correctness and globalist organizations (like the EU or UN).
    Good post, and I agree - except that I see the ethno-state as being naturally valuable.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 07:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Doggatronix Rex
    Ethnicity
    alien
    Ancestry
    DadsMTDNA-rare bantu. X chromosome- Llama peoples.iberian & gallician fags. Berbers & canarians
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Amazigh
    Y-DNA
    Neolithic eastern mediterranean
    mtDNA
    Noble natives
    Hero
    RossFractal(wise bearded one) https://s2.postimg.org/6uxdm1czd/bandicam_2017-08-05_01-21-16-584.jpg
    Religion
    Infidel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,848
    Given: 3,647

0 Not allowed!

Normally I don't think about my ethnicity
    I am mixed race, but I identify more along the lines of my ethnic background though then my race; my ethnicity is full of mixed people anyways.
    But I also Identify as an atheist. I don't hold my ethnicity as a plaquer of who I am though in real life. Its just something to tell of my heritage if people ask but I feel actual beliefs reflect closer to who you are.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2021 @ 11:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    ХоХоL
    Country
    Ukraine
    Politics
    sometimes
    Religion
    far eastern ortodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,686
    Given: 9,316

0 Not allowed!

there are a big identity butthurt in a place where i'm living, so it's possible to recognize "identity" from conversation only.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    As reflected in my profile info, I consider my ethnicity solely Ukrainian - that's what I've always identified with (quite close with that side of my family too, which is all-Ukrainian and of more recent immigrant extraction, & many of our ethnic traditions are retained amongst ourselves), & Ukrainian is my predominant ancestry, and I don't look atypical for a Ukrainian, but I have some Italian ancestry as well. It is pretty common in my part of the USA to be fully or partially Italian. I don't relate too much to this component of my ancestry, but it doesn't really bother me that it's present. I love Ukraine first & foremost. Insults to Ukraine I tend to take quite personally, and I've come to realize even just that is a pretty good indicator of ethnic identity. But it goes beyond just that. PCA-wise, I may look something like a Balkan Slav, I suppose. But naturally I lack the identity of one.

I guess I do have some vague sense of pride that Latin & Greek vocabulary has been so influential (and I guess perhaps this is an odd point of pride, but, hey, languages interest me) - not just through the spread of the Romance language family, but through English with its massive repertoire of Latin & Greek words. I know how Greek many of the portions of peninsular southern Italy that my ancestry comes from used to be, so I figure there's some ancient Greek in there as well. Plus, cuisine is an obvious point of pride. Incredibly popular the world-over. Having some ancestry from Naples, I can say, in a sense, I feel I have a certain unique claim to pizza that others don't have, even many Italians.

I think these points of pride are valid. Many people seem to take pride in some aspect of their ancestry that doesn't define their ethnic identity - e.g., Slavs who take pride in the Sarmatian connection. I'm sure many Italians, too, see the Greeks in a similar way, but don't have a Greek ethnic identity.
    So you're as mixed as anyone else? haha

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Etain View Post
    So you're as mixed as anyone else? haha
    Well, you might think so at first glance, I guess. It's a bit complicated to explain. You might consider someone who has a dozen different identifiable ancestries, for example, very mixed. But it's all about proportions, and also how recent the immigrant connection is. Having a dozen other ancestries may not be really noteworthy in terms of ethnic identity if one clearly predominates, such as what may happen if one parent is solely of that ancestry, and an immigrant him or herself, or a child of immigrants, etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Moreover, someone who's straight-up mixed between x & y (one parent representing each) may well be more mixed when it comes to natural ethnic self-identity. This is particularly true in diaspora communities, because in the Old World, identity would naturally be shaped more by the culture you're raised in. I don't feel that's true for me because my Ukrainianness definitely predominates. I could never feel more empathy & kinship for any other ethnicity than I do for Ukrainians, even if I wanted to.

There's definitely a difference between merely having some of the ancestry of one group and feeling ethnic kinship with them. For many Americans who have multiple ancestries, none of which truly predominate, and all of which are too distantly removed from the source (i.e., no recent immigrant history in the family tree), then perhaps they would have little to no ethnic kinship with any of those ancestries. Maybe at that point, such a person would feel more American than anything else. But I don't know, because this isn't something I can relate to (nor can someone to whom it applies naturally relate to me). American can be at least a semi-ethnicity, though the attributes of this category would be quite different from what you encounter in Europe. There's unquestionably at least a bit of fluidity inherent in the concept of ethnicity - but it is still highly practical and cannot be disregarded as a real world factor.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-10-2016 @ 04:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    -----
    Country
    Pakistan
    Taxonomy
    ----
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 80

0 Not allowed!

-----
    Last edited by Greensboro Jock; 10-06-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Last Online
    03-16-2019 @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,839
    Given: 1,251

0 Not allowed!

edit

i wrong the thread :x

Loved by all portuguese members Tobi's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-24-2017 @ 12:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, 1/8 Hungarian
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,381
    Given: 5,681

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frater Taciturnus View Post
    Are you serious? How much greek are you?
    I'm 6/8 portuguese and I don't identify myself as portuguese first, because I was born and raised in Brazil.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information