Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,562
    Given: 29,007

1 Not allowed!

This one is not exactly a genetic distance table but still interesting.

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

0 Not allowed!

Do you know the source for the top one? And what does the bottom one demonstrate?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I did some proximity lists from the table I posted:

British
    Belgian 0.0005
    French / German 0.0006
    Swedish 0.0013
    Norwegian / Czech 0.0014
    Hungarian 0.0016
    Slovak 0.0017
    Polish 0.0017
    Spanish 0.0024
    Romanian 0.0028
    Russian 0.0032

Norwegians
    Swedish 0.0010
    British 0.0014
    German 0.0016
    Belgian 0.0019
    French / Czech 0.0024
    Slovak / Hungarian 0.0026
    Polish 0.0034
    Russian 0.0036
    Romanian 0.044
    Spanish 0.0047

Swedes
    Norwegian 0.0010
    German 0.0011
    British 0.0013
    Czech 0.0016
    Belgian 0.0018
    Slovak 0.0019
    Hungarian 0.0020
    Polish / French 0.0023
    Russian 0.0025
    Spanish 0.0047

Germans
    Czech 0.0003
    Hungarian 0.0004
    Slovak / Belgian 0.0005
    British 0.0006
    French 0.0008
    Swedish 0.0011
    Polish 0.0012
    Norwegian / Russian/ Romanian 0.0016
    Spanish 0.0025

French
    Belgian 0.0002
    British 0.0006
    Spanish / German 0.0008
    Hungarian 0.0015
    Czech 0.0016
    Slovak / Romanian 0.0017
    Swedish 0.0023
    Norwegian 0.0024
    Polish 0.0032
    Russian 0.0037

Is it correct to say that genetic distance (fst) gives the most accurate picture of genetic relationships?

Senior Member PunhetaDeBacalhau's Avatar
    Last Online
    03-12-2018 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 1,206

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post

This one is not exactly a genetic distance table but still interesting.

GEDMatch's calculators put Portugal slightly more close genetically to Northwestern Europeans than to the Balkans, and that table puts us closer to the Balkans than to Northwestern Europeans. One of them has to be wrong... Which is it?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,486
    Given: 5,738

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Is it correct to say that genetic distance (fst) gives the most accurate picture of genetic relationships?
    Fst are not exactly the same than distances as we imagine them in Oracle for example. Fst are more a value of shared genetic or differentiation which is different than an absolute distance. For example if i'm half Austrian half Polish i ll have a high proportion of shared genetic with both population but not with the population i end up the most similar to in distance, let's say randomly Czech. Fst describes a relationship that can be recent or very old, distances more a present similarity, in the end it it's still kind of the same result but both cannot be compared. Fst would vary more at individual level depending on regions than distances in a population. Another typical example would be Ashkenazi and S.Italians, different fst but very similar distances.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    Fst are not exactly the same than distances as we imagine them in Oracle for example. Fst are more a value of shared genetic or differentiation which is different than an absolute distance. For example if i'm half Austrian half Polish i ll have a high proportion of shared genetic with both population but not with the population i end up the most similar to in distance, let's say randomly Czech. Fst describes a relationship that can be recent or very old, distances more a present similarity, in the end it it's still kind of the same result but both cannot be compared. Fst would vary more at individual level depending on regions than distances in a population. Another typical example would be Ashkenazi and S.Italians, different fst but very similar distances.
    I think I see what you mean. The Swede is red, the German is purple and the Frenchman is blue. But the woman who is half Swedish & half French is not German purple but is a jumble of red and blue like a chessboard pattern; she averages out as a German on a genetic map but does not fit into the shoes of a German - rather, one foot fits a Swedish shoe and her other foot fits a French shoe (to simplify). Right?

I had been led to believe that Fst was genetic distance (GD). So Fst, the Oracle score and GD are three different ways of measuring genetic similarity? Which measure is the most meaningful for showing us the genetic relationships between modern European populations?

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post

Orcadians and Sardinians descent from small founding populations, added with subsequent isolation, drift adds to their fst distances. Orcadians, a subset of British genepool can not be more distant from the Irish than what Swedes are. You'd probably see this with Dstat. Likewise it is very unlikely that Greeks are more closely related to Swedes than they are to Sardinians. Also Sardinians get very similar fst scores with the Irish to the Druze/Bedouin posse. Again genes gone bad effect. Ladies like bad boys. That's why.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,486
    Given: 5,738

1 Not allowed!

I think I see what you mean. The Swede is red, the German is purple and the Frenchman is blue. But the woman who is half Swedish & half French is not German purple but is a jumble of red and blue like a chessboard pattern; she averages out as a German on a genetic map but does not fit into the shoes of a German - rather, one foot fits a Swedish shoe and her other foot fits a French shoe (to simplify). Right?
    That's a good analogy i think (except she would average as English!) Another example, Welsh are certainly closer to a France avg in distances than the rest of UK even though they might have the least shared dna from there. Or to really push the analogy, a fellow countryman would be closer to you in distance than one of your cousin who could be half German, but you would still have more shared dna with your cousin than your neighbour.

I had been led to believe that Fst was genetic distance (GD). So Fst, the Oracle score and GD are three different ways of measuring genetic similarity? Which measure is the most meaningful for showing us the genetic relationships between modern European populations?
    It's what i would rather call distance of relatedness, the whole postulat of fst is that migration counteracts drift which also create problems for certain isolated populations. We can see it as a distance for convenience or we do actually translate it in another form of distance through admix percentages, then in actual Oracles distances. Each component has a specific fst value to each of the population and other components, a calculator is simply assessing based on your genome how much % you share with this component and all its fst.

There is just many ways to end up exactly like X country without having any ancestry from this country even though you could have exactly the same proportions of genes than them, therefore still could have been made of the same thing one way or another. The last stage of Europe's creation is in practical terms a mix of late neo cultures with some Yamnaya-like ones, through Bell Beaker and the likes, specially in the west. I can imagine some extreme cases of south Americans, where their fst and regular distances would differ greatly but we can probably say the more "ethnically packed" your components are, the least distances and fst will diverge.

I see IBD like fst (since it is the consequence of IBD), as giving you a more intricate view, on how much was shared with a country in more or less recent times but it would be more meaningful for that matter to look at it by regions, or even at an individual level, which is usually the case in IBD. In a way this is also what triggers clines in Oracle. Do i get more often Italian+German or Spanish+English doesn't have much to do with my actual position (it could be exactly the same) it has to do with fst, because that individual is rather sharing more with one or the other pair. Personally i know i trigger always the same kind of axis (cause eastern France), im sure it's also the case for most people.
    Last edited by Petalpusher; 09-18-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,562
    Given: 29,007

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PunhetaDeBacalhau View Post
    GEDMatch's calculators put Portugal slightly more close genetically to Northwestern Europeans than to the Balkans, and that table puts us closer to the Balkans than to Northwestern Europeans. One of them has to be wrong... Which is it?
    The first one is from Cavalli-Sforza so not likely to be incorrect. Gedmatch has many different calculator programs and while informative and fun is not like a genetic study or comparable to one. It is a good guide to what populations your genome is closest to but is run through a calculator program.

The second one is from this study on 5 European populations.

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/313854

Here is a write up by Razib Khan on this study.

From that study this is interesting. This confirms previous findings that the largest component of variation in Europe is north-south (at least evaluating to the west of a particular geographical cutoff), with a secondary east-west dimension.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.V-YZP_B97IU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information