Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UN General Assembly 'acknowledges' court ruling that Kosovo's independence was legal

Banned
    Last Online
    04-17-2012 @ 01:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Serbia, Montenegro, Hungary
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default UN General Assembly 'acknowledges' court ruling that Kosovo's independence was legal

In a blow to Serbia, the U.N. General Assembly on Thursday adopted a watered-down resolution by acclamation which "acknowledges" an international court ruling that Kosovo's declaration of independence from Serbia was legal.
    Serbia had introduced a draft resolution to the 192-member world body challenging the July 22 decision by the U.N.'s highest court. It called Kosovo's unilateral secession "unacceptable," declared "that unilateral secession is not a way to achieve statehood or to resolve territorial disputes," and demanded more talks on the status issue.
    But the Serbia draft was unacceptable to the nearly 70 countries that have recognized Kosovo's independence, including the United States and many in the European Union, which Serbia hopes to join. The EU urged Serbia to withdraw its draft and focus instead on its prospects for EU membership.
    After lengthy negotiations, the initial Serbia draft was virtually scrapped and replaced by a new text which simply "acknowledges" the nonbinding advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice. It also welcomes the EU's readiness to promote a dialogue between Serbia and Kosovo which would promote co-operation and "achieve progress on the path to the European Union and improve the lives of the people."
    Kosovo came under U.N. and NATO administration after a 1999 NATO-led air war halted former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic's crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo. But the Security Council resolution that established the interim U.N. administration left Kosovo's final status in question.
    Kosovo's predominantly ethnic Albanian leadership declared independence from Serbia in February 2008, with strong backing from the United States and major European Union nations. But the Serbian government, strongly supported by Russia, insists that Kosovo is still legally bound by the Security Council resolution and the U.N. — at Moscow's insistence — still retains overall authority in Kosovo though many day-to-day administrative responsibilities have been transferred to a 2,000-strong EU peacekeeping force.
    A dispute over whether Kosovo's representatives had a right to sit in the General Assembly chamber delayed adoption of the resolution by 2 1/2 hours.
    When the meeting finally started, Serbia's Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic demanded to know why the representatives were still there.
    General Assembly President Ali Abdussalam Treki replied that the representatives from Pristina were present "as a guest" of France, Germany, Britain, Italy and the United States, and "by this, I think I have answered your question."
    Jeremic then introduced the resolution noting that is was cosponsored by Serbia and all 27 EU members, some which support Kosovo's independence and some which continue to respect Serbia's territorial integrity.
    "Nonetheless, common ground has been reached by ensuring that the resolution is fundamentally a status neutral document," which makes no judgment on Kosovo's status, he said.
    Serbia maintains that the court did not endorse Kosovo's claim to statehood, its right of secession from Serbia, or any right to self-determination for Kosovo's ethnic Albanians.
    Jeremic reiterated Thursday that Serbia will never recognize Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence.
    But he expressed hope that the resolution "would help create an atmosphere conducive to the establishment of a comprehensive compact of peace between Serbs and Albanians, achieved through a good faith dialogue."
    Britain's U.N. Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said the consensus resolution marked "a very significant step and a very welcome step."
    "It is now the start of a new phase in the relationship between Kosovo and Serbia," he said.
    U.S. deputy ambassador Rosemary DiCarlo urged other countries to support Kosovo's independence but stressed that it is "a special case and not a precedent for other conflicts."
    "Now is the time for the region to move forward and for Serbia and Kosovo to open a new phase in their relations, focused on their shared future within the European Union," DiCarlo said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wor...102578044.html

And here's the resolution:

BELGRADE, Sept. 8 (Xinhua) -- Serbia and the European Union (EU) reached a compromise solution on Wednesday and will jointly submit a draft resolution on Kosovo to the United Nations General Assembly, according to a Serbian government release.
    The release said that the new draft resolution text is a compromise Serbia has reached in cooperation with the EU and fully conforms to the decision taken by the Serbian parliament on July 26, 2010.
    The coordinated text closes the process before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and calls for dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina, in keeping with Serbia's stand that a solution for the Kosovo issue acceptable to both sides can be found only through negotiations, and will be approved by the UN Security Council.
    The draft resolution includes provisions from the UN Charter and offers to Serbia prospects for continuing to defend its legitimate national interests by peaceful and diplomatic means in cooperation with the EU and all important international factors, the release said.
    "We agreed on the text of the resolution because of our sincere desire to solve all issues together with the EU and other important international factors, and we are convinced it is the only way to a solution," Serbian President Boris Tadic said in an official statement on Wednesday.
    Tadic said the UN resolution does not recognize Kosovo's self- declared independence and will enable a dialogue that could provide a solution for Kosovo that could be accepted by the UN Security Council. A discussion at the UN General Assembly is scheduled for Sept. 9.

"We have advocated a dialogue on Kosovo since 2005, and we are still true to that today," stated the Serbian president.
    Despite pressure from western countries that have recognized Kosovo, most recently from British Foreign Minister William Hague, Serbia has insisted on such a resolution since the ICJ decision ruled in July that Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence had not violated international law. Serbia said the resolution is based on provisions from the UN Charter and the right to defend legitimate national interests.
    The compromise solution was reached after consultations with many EU members states, particularly the five that have refused to recognize Kosovo's secession from Serbia, namely Spain, Greece, Romania, Cyprus and Slovakia.
    "Frequent contacts with presidents and prime ministers of the five EU countries that have not recognized Kosovo, together with the work done in cooperation with all the other countries, have resulted in a compromise and a joint resolution between Serbia and the EU," said Tadic.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13487808.htm

Different sources, from different countries hence different attitude toward the whole problem and situation, but...?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Serbia accepted Kosovo independence on small doors for the second time, just like Milosevic "thought" that Kumanovo agreement is not capitulation and acceptance of Kosovo independence.

I spit on them all.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Who cares.I got over all that after I burned the Kosovar flag and koran.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Who cares. I got over all that after I burned the Kosovar flag and koran.
    They burned thousand of Serbian flags and Holy books, not to mention churches and monasteries.... But don't care, only a few of us fools still do care and are feeling bad.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Nobody wants to go to war anymore.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Nobody wants to go to war anymore.
    That would be 4th one (if we do not include 2001. small war in Bujanovac, Presevo i Medvedja and Slovenian one) in which Serbia was involved in the last 20th years.... I know, I am aware of that, too

Banned
    Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

The U.N. is scum.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Radojica View Post
    That would be 4th one (if we do not include 2001. small war in Bujanovac, Presevo i Medvedja and Slovenian one) in which Serbia was involved in the last 20th years.... I know, I am aware of that, too
    Actually NATO encouraged Serbia in that small war. If war happens again then NATO/U.S. has something to do with it.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The U.N. is scum.
    the UN? The UN do not exist anymore, my dear friend. The UN stopped existing on the day when US, NATO and EU attacked Yugoslavia without the approval of the UN for the bombing campaign against Yugoslavia (today's Serbia and Montenegro) for their own hegemonic goals.

League of Nations after the rise of Nazi Germany hegemonic goals ceased to exist and formally at the beginning of WWII after the invasion on Poland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Nations

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Actually NATO encouraged Serbia in that small war. If war happens again then NATO/U.S. has something to do with it.

Oh well, that is for people too. If I tell you that I am going to, that I have been called for some "military exercise" you will know what is going on .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information