View Poll Results: Are you a nationalist?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, British (pro-British Union)

2 18.18%
  • Yes, English Nationalist

6 54.55%
  • Yes, Scottish Nationalist

0 0%
  • Yes, Irish Nationalist

1 9.09%
  • Yes, Welsh Nationalist

0 0%
  • Yes, Manx Nationalist

0 0%
  • Yes, Cornish Nationalist

0 0%
  • Yes, Channel Islander Nationalist

1 9.09%
  • Yes, Shetlander or Orcadian Nationalist

0 0%
  • Yes, Other (i.e. Mercia, Wessex, Land of the fairies...)

1 9.09%
  • No, I like things the way they are. I neither fully endorse the British Union, but then I'm not against it either.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a nationalist and why?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Default Are you a nationalist and why?

(British Isles only) Are you a English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Irish, British or any other type of nationalist within the British Isles? And what is your reason for taking your position?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I am an English Nationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by celtabria View Post
    And what is your reason for taking your position?
    I am an Englishman. I oppose the monopoly of current British/Welsh/Scottish politics and I am for the full devolution of England which currently resides within the false entity known as the United Kingdom.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

(British Isles only) Are you a English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Manx, Irish, British or any other type of nationalist within the British Isles? And what is your reason for taking your position?
    I suppose there are two main reasons:

- I believe in the concept of the nation state. And the English, Scots etc. are of course distinct nations in their own rights.
    - Historically, there was an English state, the Kingdom of England - we had our own state once, and we'll have it again. We were formed as England, not part of any United Kingdom with the Scots and Welsh and Irish.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Go the Balkanization of the British Isles!

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    I am an English Nationalist.

I am an Englishman. I oppose the monopoly of current British/Welsh/Scottish politics and I am for the full devolution of England which currently resides within the false entity known as the United Kingdom.
    Me too I get the feeling that Scottish and Welsh nationalists feel that being an English nationalist means that we automatically oppose them. That's true with some, but for most of us I'd say its more about getting our identity and nation back instead of this artificial nation of "Britain" and the artificial, pseudo-ethnicity "British".
    I greatly admire Wales, Scotland and Ireland and if England were independent would visit, but I believe we're better of with our own separate countries, but with loose bonds still such as trade deals, defence pacts and a Council of the British Isles similar to the Commonwealth (i.e. weak with no real power, just a few agreements, but not related to the monarchy as the commonwealth is).

A British Isles of the nations, not of the regions!
    Spoiler!

- I believe in the concept of the nation state. And the English, Scots etc. are of course distinct nations in their own rights.
    I agree.

- Historically, there was an English state, the Kingdom of England - we had our own state once, and we'll have it again. We were formed as England, not part of any United Kingdom with the Scots and Welsh and Irish.
    Yes, England and Scotland did rather well on their own and are amongst the oldest nations in Europe (not the oldest, but amongst them).

Go the Balkanization of the British Isles!
    The British Isles largely lack the ethnic enclaves which caused troubles in the Balkans such as those around Bosnia-Herzegovina, a breakup of the British Isles would have a few border disputes but would generally be peaceful I think.

Possible border disputes would be:

*Anglo-Scottish border around Berwick-Upon-Tweed
    *Anglo-Welsh border around the West of Oswestry, Monmouth, Maelor Sasanach (spelt wrong) and perhaps even parts of Flintshire.
    *Northern Ireland would probably be ceded to Ireland, much to the dismay of the Ulster Unionists.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The British Isles largely lack the ethnic enclaves which caused troubles in the Balkans such as those around Bosnia-Herzegovina, a breakup of the British Isles would have a few border disputes but would generally be peaceful I think.

Possible border disputes would be:

*Anglo-Welsh border around the West of Oswestry, Monmouth, Maelor Sasanach (spelt wrong) and perhaps even parts of Flintshire.
    *Northern Ireland would probably be ceded to Ireland, much to the dismay of the Ulster Unionists.
    What I meant by Balkanization was not a violent breakup but a breakup of an union. If I was English I would rather to try and work for an English parliament and give all other British ethnics a parliament of their own. Naturally, the Westminster would be responsible for the foreign policy of such "British Union" and perhaps the economic policy too.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Lothian. We're taking it back. Not up for debate.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

What I meant by Balkanization was not a violent breakup but a breakup of an union. If I was English I would rather to try and work for an English parliament and give all other British ethnics a parliament of their own. Naturally, the Westminster would be responsible for the foreign policy of such "British Union" and perhaps the economic policy too.
    Yes, English self-government within the UK is wanted by many if not most English people, the trouble is the British Parliament opposes it since an English parliament would far dwarf any of the other "devolved" parliaments and would perhaps challenge the authority of the British parliament itself.
    An English parliament would have about 85% of the population and 2/3 of the territory, much of the industrial and financial areas and so could move rather unilaterally, perhaps even ignore rulings by the British Parliament. That is why successive governments keep lying about or denying England a parliament, and it would also perhaps bring calls from England to break up the UK.

I support it though since I at least want an English parliament within the UK, but preferably full independence. The politicians fear the breakup of the UK, but England would pretty much be its successor state anyway, much as Russia is that of the USSR.
    England gets ruled as either "Britain" or regions, rarely as "England" and has no real representation or government of its own and thus misses out on many of the benefits Wales and Scotland get from their governments. Even something like the Welsh Assembly is better than nothing! (although then there'd be debate as to why Scotland shouldn't have an assembly as opposed to a full parliament as well ).

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Irish "Nationalist" for lack of a better word.
    [Signature Pending]

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes, English self-government within the UK is wanted by many if not most English people, the trouble is the British Parliament opposes it since an English parliament would far dwarf any of the other "devolved" parliaments and would perhaps challenge the authority of the British parliament itself.
    An English parliament would have about 85% of the population and 2/3 of the territory, much of the industrial and financial areas and so could move rather unilaterally, perhaps even ignore rulings by the British Parliament. That is why successive governments keep lying about or denying England a parliament, and it would also perhaps bring calls from England to break up the UK.

I support it though since I at least want an English parliament within the UK, but preferably full independence. The politicians fear the breakup of the UK, but England would pretty much be its successor state anyway, much as Russia is that of the USSR.
    England gets ruled as either "Britain" or regions, rarely as "England" and has no real representation or government of its own and thus misses out on many of the benefits Wales and Scotland get from their governments. Even something like the Welsh Assembly is better than nothing! (although then there'd be debate as to why Scotland shouldn't have an assembly as opposed to a full parliament as well ).
    The British parliament should be only responsible for foreign and economy policy whereas the English parliament would be responsible for internal affairs concerning England. That's the way it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information