PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Grappling vs Stand Up?

Thread: Grappling vs Stand Up?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-17-2016 @ 02:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,188
    Given: 1,099

0 Not allowed!

Default Grappling vs Stand Up?

What do you think? I'm a fan of both, but in a self defense situation against multiple attackers, with no weapons, grappling is dangerous for you. Unless you can throw them around one after one. If you take one down you'll have several other attackers kicking you to the head. Here standup is without a doubt the most effective art. Footwork is crucial. You move all the time, hitting while moving and keeping your attackers at distance. Fly like a butterfly sting like a bee.

In a one on one fight the best grappler would win if he's able to take you down and keep you there or some BJJ techniques that could end the fight by a submission . But lets be honest here, the traditional way of scrapping it out has always been standup in many cultures.

In MMA the best fighters are all rounded. They usually prefer the stand up but they got the ground game in case it goes there. Some champions just like to beat you at your own game.

In the start of MMA, when fighters weren't all rounded, bjj used to own but its a totally different ball game today since most fighters have to learn it.

The most effective art of grappling imo is BJJ followed by Judo that is known for its throws. This has traditionally been the most effective art within MMA and it is crucial to know if you wanna survive a fight. Not knowing BJJ is like not knowing how to swim. There are many great champions who don't learn wrestling simply because they got down BJJ. A wrestler could take down a BJJ fighter and lose to its submission techniques. Its a good way of counter fighting when fighting on the ground or if you
    happen to get taken to the ground. Therefor wrestling becomes absolutely ineffective. And it also uses too much energy for a takedown and its techniques are energy consuming compared to BJJ or Judo.

You can always get countered with a knee or punch when going for a takedown. Or totally fail agaibst someone with good takedown defense.

Now the best forms of striking imo are boxing, taekwondo and kickboxing. These arts have amazing footwork where you have to move all the time. Add this with some own elbow abd knee techniques from Muay thai and youre good to go.

The art of muay thai itself is too flat footed and too little movement.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

1 Not allowed!

I've always been a boxer since first starting at 16,and later I adopted kickboxing.

As I have said other times here Im a very poor grappler,I can get submitted pretty easily once on the ground.I've trained some minor BJJ(blue belt,buts its a very loosely given one) and Sambo,but those didn't work for me much.I just don't have grappling talent,it does not work for me.

Now striking on the other hand,thats my ace.Nobody's health is safe standing up with me,I have fists like sledgehammers and if some more slender guy is in front I can cut him in half with a kick.

On the street,there is nothing better than boxing.A grappler is useless in a fight that would break out in a bar or nightclub.

Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 04:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Nordman
    Country
    Sweden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Those who fight for what they believe in
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,247

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    I've always been a boxer since first starting at 16,and later I adopted kickboxing.

As I have said other times here Im a very poor grappler,I can get submitted pretty easily once on the ground.I've trained some minor BJJ(blue belt,buts its a very loosely given one) and Sambo,but those didn't work for me much.I just don't have grappling talent,it does not work for me.

Now striking on the other hand,thats my ace.Nobody's health is safe standing up with me,I have fists like sledgehammers and if some more slender guy is in front I can cut him in half with a kick.

On the street,there is nothing better than boxing.A grappler is useless in a fight that would break out in a bar or nightclub.
    1. A blue belt should take at least 1 year and sometimes 3, so you should be decent if you have it?

2. Grappling is still good on the street 1v1 but since you never truly are (people jump in etc), stand up is much better. Still, a judo guy can easily close the distance to a boxer and throw him on his head on the street and win, but going down to close to the ground is way too risky.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Berahthraban View Post
    1. A blue belt should take at least 1 year and sometimes 3, so you should be decent if you have it?

2. Grappling is still good on the street 1v1 but since you never truly are (people jump in etc), stand up is much better. Still, a judo guy can easily close the distance to a boxer and throw him on his head on the street and win, but going down to close to the ground is way too risky.
    Yea was with the BJJ group for something close to 2 years,its a mixed martial arts gym so everything was in there,Classic Boxing,Kickboxing,Sambo,Judo,BJJ,Wrestling.

It did not work for me.Im better than a beginner but nothing more.I have an advantage when facing a smaller opponent that its hard for him to get a dominant position,but thats about the only thing that ever worked for me.

When I was boxing however I was a natural.Everything just came to me,the stance,the footwork,the pacing.Thats why I stayed in boxing.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,938
    Given: 12,766

0 Not allowed!

Grappling is superior. People who haven't done any type of grappling martial arts don't know how to defend against a take down and once on the ground the grappler can do serious damage (choke someone out, break an arm, etc.). As long as the grappler can take a couple of punches when moving in on his opponent they have the advantage.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-22-2020 @ 06:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Reptile
    Ethnicity
    Dragon
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1a-M458
    mtDNA
    H6a1b
    Taxonomy
    Cro-Ho-Ho
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,583
    Given: 5,443

0 Not allowed!

Stick to what you know best that is if you know anything at all. In real life combat is different from what happens in the ring/cage. It's an uncontrolled environment with no rules. Having that in mind it's best to practice hand-to-hand combat. It will teach you to use anything (from your own strength to your opponent's clothes or any usable object) to your own advantage.

Any martial art will make you stronger but IRL efficient and fast is the way to go. As to the question of wrestling vs boxing/kicking it all comes down to individual quality.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,478
    Given: 5,059

1 Not allowed!

I've start practice martial arts when i was close to my 4th birthday Taekwondo at the time, then Muay Thay/kickboxing, and in the last decade MMA.

Jiu-jitsu schools started opened here via Brazilian immigration probably 12, 13 years ago, one day i was invited to do a jiu-jitsu training by a friend,and after a while i made the transition to MMA, it seemed natural to me.

My experience of 15 years of striking was definitely a plus but the lack of grappling game put me at the time in some trouble haha Since then my grappling and ground game evolve substantially for the sake of my health.

Personally i prefer striking but i know how important the grappling part is! In MMA wrestling is fundamental more than Judo, Judo is not that effective in MMA (apart from Ronda not many Judo fighters did that well in pro competition), and then we have Jiu-tsu very important indeed (but one thing is training with the gi on and without and getting punch in the face in the process is very different), Jiu-Jitsu becomes useless if you can't put your opponent on the ground! This is why wrestling is major in MMA, the better wrester is the one who is going to decide where the fight is going to take place.

In a street fight where anything can happens the last place one wants to be is on the ground (you can be attacked by multiple opponents). On a one on one fight is different, grappling can be dangerous indeed, cutting the distance and projecting one to the ground is a real scenario, but there are so many variables bodies sizes strength etc. and when a grappler is punched he is going to enter in a complete different type of pain he never indure, in his grappling matches.

Overall i prefer striking, but there is no secret recipes to be fair, each person has their own style, and what is effective to one may not be to other.

Krav Maga imo is a very well rounded style, that prepares one to real fighting situations.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-17-2016 @ 02:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,188
    Given: 1,099

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    Grappling is superior. People who haven't done any type of grappling martial arts don't know how to defend against a take down and once on the ground the grappler can do serious damage (choke someone out, break an arm, etc.). As long as the grappler can take a couple of punches when moving in on his opponent they have the advantage.
    Except for BJJ. I dont really think its superior.

I mean ive grappled against judokas and wrestlers and they couldnt even take me down. Maybe it depends on the athletes level. Its BJJ that is absolutely lethal. I grappled against one and I didn't even know wtf was going on

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-01-2020 @ 12:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Europid mixed with Weddid
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

How can you take to the ground multiple opponents, obviously striking is the option against multiple opponents simultaneously.

Thread Information