Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,062
    Given: 6,146

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ylla View Post
    you are southcentral asian with cultural/historical links with mena. there's a difference
    dark blue is mena
    That's what geography says, that is not what culture says, and that is not what other MENAs say. If Iranians are MENAs, then so are afghans. You cannot separate afghans from Iranians and then in turn group Iranians with the Lebanese whom they have nothing in common with. By the way you speak, I can tell you have never met any afghans personally, and that you probably know an insignificant amount of Iranians. Iran mena but Turkey not??? What.
    Learn some about Afghans here
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...of-Afghanistan

Indian Genomics can be modeled by four-way populations, not two way populations. Read more in this thread:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...tion-structure

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    ᖭི༏ᖫྀ
    Ancestry
    Med
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,629
    Given: 10,189

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Myanthropologies View Post
    That's what geography says, that is not what culture says, and that is not what other MENAs say. If Iranians are MENAs, then so are afghans. You cannot separate afghans from Iranians and then in turn group Iranians with the Lebanese whom they have nothing in common with. By the way you speak, I can tell you have never met any afghans personally, and that you probably know an insignificant amount of Iranians. Iran mena but Turkey not??? What.
    my father has rich afghan and Persian colleagues (businessmen) who regularly invite us to weddings etc. I don't know the insides of your culture but you seem more conservative than Iranians.

Account Deleted
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic, Caucasian, and Slavic
    Ethnicity
    50% Banana
    Ancestry
    West Asian, South-Central Asian, and Northeastern European
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    G2b1a
    mtDNA
    V
    Taxonomy
    Clark Kent with browner hair and a more Iranian nose
    Politics
    Progressive, but not the stupid kind
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ylla View Post
    my father has rich afghan and Persian colleagues (businessmen) who regularly invite us to weddings etc. I don't know the insides of your culture but you seem more conservative than Iranians.
    The politics are a bit different but Iranians are still 100x closer to Afghans than to Saudi Arabians, Palestinians, and Lebanese people wtf. Afghans and Iranians celebrate the same holidays, speak similar and the same languages, eat similar food, were both part of the persian empires together, look similar, and have a similar heritage. My sister is part of the Persian student association at her school which includes a lot of pashtuns as well. I'm pretty damn sure that if you asked the average Iranian what country they're ethnically closest to, they'd answer Afghanistan and Azerbajian. Afghanistan, Iran, and Azerbajian are all pretty similar, with the exception being that Azeris are kinda turkic but when you weigh in that Afghanistan have a some Turkic ethnic groups as well, I guess that makes them more similar. Iranians and Azeris would feel much more comfortable being grouped with Afghans than with levanities and Saudis. The middle east is largely a social construct anyways. Looking at your map shows how obvious of social construct it is because there are more political borders on your map than geometric or physical boundaries.

Indian Genomics can be modeled by four-way populations, not two way populations. Read more in this thread:

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

When America was first founded, only those of northwestern European descent were allowed. Slowly others were added to the definition of whiteness. South Italians were considered black during the Jim Crow era because they assumed that they were mixed with moors.
    Stop right there. In the Jim Crow South, there were isolated incidents of Italians being lynched, and discrimination, yada yada. But I am not talking about that because that can happen to any immigrant community (and it did). You brought up the Jim Crows laws but I don't think it was ever de jure practice that any Europeans (whether Italian or Greek, etc.) were considered nonwhite. I don't think you can point to any statutes or case law stating this because I believe none exist. Jim Crow laws mandated segregation in public, of course, so one's ability to "pass" would seemingly have more relevance than ancestry in how the laws were applied in practice.

I did some searching and the only case law I found was a 1922 case, Rollins v. Alabama, that dealt with the a case of miscegenation between a black & a Sicilian. An appeal ensued from the convinction, which was overturned & remanded back to the lower court. However, if you examine the text of decision of the appellate court, you'll see no specific dicta, or a specific holding, that would have firmly called Sicilians nonwhite - the miscegenation conviction was overturned for procedural error and improperly-obtained evidence.

A key part of it here:

The mere fact that the testimony showed this woman came from Sicily can in no sense be taken as conclusive that she was therefore a white woman, or that she was not a negro or a descendant of a negro.
    https://casetext.com/case/rollins-v-state-120

What this actually means, in context, is it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that merely being from Sicily is evidence of having no negro blood. It would have been in the negro defendant's interest to claim that the woman was black. So this principle is applicable to any geographic location, not just Sicily, because any foreign race can be found in any location. It follows that the assumption would naturally be an actual Sicilian would have no negro blood for the purpose of the anti-miscegenation statute. So, really, the dicta of the appellate court in Rollins v. Alabama would tend to argue for my point more than it would yours and would confirm that regarding Sicilians as white would have been the general practice.

As far as I can tell, Italians were always considered white and could be naturalized even under the very first naturalization statutes.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Trinidad-and-Tobago
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,016
    Given: 1,369

0 Not allowed!

"Europe" is a construct. Of course different eastern Mediterranean groups have more common with each other.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,207
    Given: 58,978

0 Not allowed!

You look more SSA than I do and you're half Norwegian. That's not even me trolling and saying that.
    Thats really true. Maybe he is part Jew.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,207
    Given: 58,978

1 Not allowed!

I am sorry to those I have offended on this site, I really am. I am sorry if I have offended Greeks and South Italians. A lot of members of both of those ethnicities on here are really great people, and I am especially sorry to Queen B who is generally a very nice person. However, when I said that Greeks are ethnically closer to the Lebanese Christians than to Irish people and Finns, I wasn't trying to troll. It was just my observation through learning world history, culture, etc. I also have never equated Greeks as being a Middle Eastern group, I just said you share some similarities to those on the other side of the med.

I also admit that I did try to troll Greeks a tad, but not to the extent people think. It all started a few months ago when I put up my atypical Greek friend in a classification thread with no trolling intent at all, but the Greeks seemed very mad at her appearance and assumed I was trolling when I wasn't. I was genuinely curious. I got demonized by Raine, and catgeorge and other Greeks were supporting her when she was insulting afghans. I was very shocked because Raine was really nice to me before that. I also forgave them because Greeks do get tolled and I could are why they might have taken it as that but I genuinely wasn't. I also got angry whenever I saw Greeks and South Italians making fun of muslims and Middle eastern Christian refugees, and then trying to make themselves look like victims for having them as refugees. I thought to myself "why are Greeks are and South Italians feel all people making fun of MENAs? Especially when some of them are really exotic?" I saw them equating themselves with other Europeans even in far off regions, but saw them getting legitimately offended for being compared to even Turks. This shocked me because Greeks I meet in real life are the complete opposite of that.

Anyways, I realized that you cannot solve trolling by trolling someone back, and I am very sorry to anyone I offended.
    you dont need to apologise you said nothing offensive.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Account Deleted
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic, Caucasian, and Slavic
    Ethnicity
    50% Banana
    Ancestry
    West Asian, South-Central Asian, and Northeastern European
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    G2b1a
    mtDNA
    V
    Taxonomy
    Clark Kent with browner hair and a more Iranian nose
    Politics
    Progressive, but not the stupid kind
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Stop right there. In the Jim Crow South, there were isolated incidents of Italians being lynched, and discrimination, yada yada. But I am not talking about that because that can happen to any immigrant community (and it did). You brought up the Jim Crows laws but I don't think it was ever de jure practice that any Europeans (whether Italian or Greek, etc.) were considered nonwhite. I don't think you can point to any statutes or case law stating this because I believe none exist. Jim Crow laws mandated segregation in public, of course, so one's ability to "pass" would seemingly have more relevance than ancestry in how the laws were applied in practice.

I did some searching and the only case law I found was a 1922 case, Rollins v. Alabama, that dealt with the a case of miscegenation between a black & a Sicilian. An appeal ensued from the convinction, which was overturned & remanded back to the lower court. However, if you examine the text of decision of the appellate court, you'll see no specific dicta, or a specific holding, that would have firmly called Sicilians nonwhite - the miscegenation conviction was overturned for procedural error and improperly-obtained evidence.

A key part of it here:

https://casetext.com/case/rollins-v-state-120

What this actually means, in context, is it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that merely being from Sicily is evidence of having no negro blood. It would have been in the negro defendant's interest to claim that the woman was black. So this principle is applicable to any geographic location, not just Sicily, because any foreign race can be found in any location. It follows that the assumption would naturally be an actual Sicilian would have no negro blood for the purpose of the anti-miscegenation statute. So, really, the dicta of the appellate court in Rollins v. Alabama would tend to argue for my point more than it would yours and would confirm that regarding Sicilians as white would have been the general practice.

As far as I can tell, Italians were always considered white and could be naturalized even under the very first naturalization statutes.
    Okay, thanks for the clear up bro. I just heard that somewhere. Yeah, if a sicilian and black person went to court because of micegination, then it's obvious they weren't seen as black.
    They were considered off white at least. They were probably seen as similar to how menas are viewed now despite being legally considered white. Mexicans were also considered white during the racist time periods and were not allowed to intermarry with blacks either. But they were allowed to marry whites. My point is that MENAS had every single white privilege during those racist times as every nw European did. Cas was trying to be snobby and factually incorrect. Lebanese people, Afghans, etc were able to be naturalized since the first census. Of course they had periods of iffy times like other ethnic groups did though. The only people who had to go to court to get whiteness were saudis who won their case, and indians, who did not win their case.

My point is that afghans, Lebanese, etc were okay for naturalization during those times as much as Greeks were. MENAs weren't viewed as that racially different from Euros until radical Islam went on the rise. However, there were some times where some ethnicities were considered non whites that are considered white now, and there is documented proof of it. I found this from an Ashkenazi jew's family member on tumblr:

Notice "Race: Hebrew."

Last Online
    11-03-2023 @ 09:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani
    Country
    Pakistan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,274
    Given: 1,063

0 Not allowed!

I have heard that most Americans think Indians and Arabs/iranians etc are all same? Is it true?

Last Online
    10-18-2016 @ 07:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Pink
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 42

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    I have heard that most Americans think Indians and Arabs/iranians etc are all same? Is it true?
    320 million people live in the USA and I'm sure some Americans feel that way.
    How is the educational system in Pakistan?

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information