Oğuz / Turcoman
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,722
    Given: 1,300

2 Not allowed!

Default Iran: Nose jobs capital of the world

Two Halloweens ago, after spending months among a community of newly emigrated Iranians, I decided to dress up as a modern Tehrani woman. My new friends—actual modern Tehrani women—served as my consultants. My costume required a mix of obvious elements and unexpected ones: a headscarf pushed back like Jackie Kennedy's, layers of makeup (the screaming vanity of Tehrani women and all that), a skintight black dress (Iranian women love pushing the limits of the Islamic Republic's rules), extra-tall Bumpits (big hair is a bit of cultural lunacy much like tight pants among European men. In Iran, a huge bulge under the headscarf is considered a major turn-on). Finally, my team of experts suggested a subtle but crucial detail to make my character a truly authentic upper-class Tehrani. Taking a last look at me, one of them said, "You need a Band-Aid across your nose."

"And I already have the nose," I said, pointing to my only purchased body part, dainty and upward-pointing since I was 18. I may be American, but I'm Persian too, I wanted to say. Of course I've had my nose done.

Walking around Tehran, one will see glamorous women in hijab and expensive glasses, "bandages of honor" prominently displayed across their noses, sometimes long after healing, unafraid of offending the authorities. The nose-job women of Tehran are nothing to marvel at anymore; they're the standard, and Western media love to watch them saunter about in all their brazen glory. In November 2008, Oprah ran a story on Iranian cosmetic surgery: "Women see the bandage as a status symbol. 'I had a friend who had a nose job, and she kept the bandage... after two years on her nose just to show everybody that she had nose job,' [a young woman from Iran] says." To many young Persian women, such displays make perfect sense, especially given the cultural focus on finding good husbands. The bandage signals that you come from a family who cares and provides for you—even if you don't need a nose job, having a family that can afford to give you one is preferable to having the genetics for a petite nose.

Iran has the highest rate of nose surgery in the world per capita. According to most estimates, Iranians get four times the amount of nose jobs that Americans do. This is staggering for an Islamic country, and according to a March 2013 story in the Guardian, it's not limited to the rich, as clothing sellers, office workers, university students, and even teenagers opt to spend their savings or go into debt for the procedure. Though cosmetic surgery has permeated the culture, the Islamic Republic has made only the slightest gestures of disapproval. Ayatollah Khomeini sanctioned rhinoplasty in the 1980s, referencing the Hadith: "God is beautiful and loves beauty." And yet, in June 2014, the BBC reported that a state-run television station, Tehran Channel, banned from its programming any actors or actresses who had undergone plastic surgery.

It was only after 1979—and the revolution that ousted the shah and brought in the Islamic Republic—that people considered Tehran the nose-job capital of the world. Why would this strange trend occur in an Islamic country? There's no question that Iranian culture influences the behavior of the people more than Islam does, and for centuries that culture has placed a deep focus on physical beauty in all its forms. Given that, one explanation seems to have caught on: Because the mandatory hijab leaves nothing but the small circle of the face as a canvas for beauty and self-expression, Iranian women have become obsessed with their faces. They want their features to be delicate, symmetrical, and European. Given many young women's willingness to go under the knife and into debt for beauty, nose jobs have become an Iranian rite of passage.

After several decades the trend has spread throughout the Iranian diaspora, who also value their Persianness and are influenced by the culture back home. For Persian women and some men, the operation is a marker not just of physical beauty but also of wealth and social priorities. It's not so much about vanity as about the desire to join a class of Iranians who look European, read American books, travel, and live Western lives. Ironically, removing the Persian bump, that distinctly Iranian hooked nose, contributes to one's sense of cultural identity. The standard for an Iranian face has changed, and while the operation alters a distinctly Middle Eastern part of the face, it is ultimately a very Iranian decision.

http://www.vice.com/read/shes-so-najoor-0000467-v21n10
    Last edited by Böri; 10-13-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    You will not like it
    Hero
    el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,164
    Given: 18,131

7 Not allowed!

White supremacy manifests in different ways in different places. Iranian women get nose jobs...Black Amrican women get fake hair weaves....Korean women get eye surgery, etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-08-2018 @ 06:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Oğuz / Turcoman
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadaad View Post
    White supremacy manifests in different ways in different places. Iranian women get nose jobs...Black Amrican women get fake hair weaves....Korean women get eye surgery, etc.
    Yeah, OWD everywhere. After the nose jobs they start hanging around anthro forums and denying their Indo-Iranianess and trying to create fictional links with Europeans etc

An imam of wealth and taste Poise n Pen's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-07-2016 @ 06:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    America
    Ancestry
    Various barbarians
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    American
    Politics
    Apocalypse
    Religion
    The Bomb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,399
    Given: 3,254

6 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadaad View Post
    Looking attractive = white supreme? lol
    If it weren't for us you'd be speaking German. Instead, you'll be speaking Arabic.
    http://simplicitymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2017 @ 10:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ancestry
    Gone
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,858
    Given: 1,530

6 Not allowed!

Instead of this why don't they hire snub nosed Baltic stallions to breed with their women so that newer generations can have straight noses?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-14-2021 @ 04:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,581
    Given: 20,440

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Poise n Pen View Post
    Looking attractive = white supreme? lol
    He thinks everything is related to OWDism.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-08-2018 @ 06:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Oğuz / Turcoman
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default Is the 'Iranian nose' endangered?

The stereotype of the modern Iranian woman includes a fake nose. Indeed, Iran has the world's highest rate of nose jobs per capita. Some Iranians who see this as an epidemic have launched a humorous campaign: “Save the Iranian nose from becoming extinct!”

On their Facebook page, they encourage women to “just say no” to going under the knife, and invite them to post photos of their natural noses. Their message: you are beautiful as you are, whether your nose is big or small, straight or crooked. They also denounce ever-younger ages for surgery, as it is not uncommon today for Iranian teenagers as young as 14 to get nose jobs.

just how bad is it? Is the Iranian nose really endangered?

If you look at the latest figures compiled by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, they show that there were 37,423 nose jobs in Iran in 2013, which is 0.04 percent of the population in just one year. (This includes a growing number of men, too.) In comparison, there were only 45,998 nose surgeries in the United States that year, or 0.014 percent of the population.

But Iran’s noses are still nowhere near as endangered as real breasts are in the United States (517,012 surgeries in 2013, or 0.16 percent of the population) or in Germany (113,631 surgeries in 2013, or 0.14 of the population). When you crunch the numbers, it turns out that the “American breast” is disappearing four times faster than the Iranian nose, and the “German breast” 3.5 times faster… Perhaps these countries could use a campaign like this one!

http://observers.france24.com/en/201...rgery-facebook

Account Deleted
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic, Caucasian, and Slavic
    Ethnicity
    50% Banana
    Ancestry
    West Asian, South-Central Asian, and Northeastern European
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    G2b1a
    mtDNA
    V
    Taxonomy
    Clark Kent with browner hair and a more Iranian nose
    Politics
    Progressive, but not the stupid kind
    Religion
    Islam
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,061
    Given: 6,146

1 Not allowed!

As if Turkish women don't want to have nose jobs? In the US I know a Turkish girl who looks like a fake doll that wears these giant blue obviously fake pop in eye contacts and wears a weave. I'm not even lying. She's probably too poor for the nose job..Iranian and jew americans are richer so rhea have them more often.
    Learn some about Afghans here
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...of-Afghanistan

Indian Genomics can be modeled by four-way populations, not two way populations. Read more in this thread:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...tion-structure

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    You will not like it
    Hero
    el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,164
    Given: 18,131

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy1235 View Post
    He thinks everything is related to OWDism.
    Said by one of the biggest OWD sufferers known in the anthro circles...

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,998
    Given: 43,451

0 Not allowed!

So you have an Iranian upper-class that wants to be White and Western, and an Iranian working-class that supports the Islamic regime and hates anything White and Western. It is a boilercook waiting to explode.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information