Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

WR, if you care so much, why don't you go along to your old school and offer to teach classes of the language, in evenings or whenever, for a minor wage or for free? None of us can change what happens in our countries as a whole, but we can at least have some impact on a handful of people who we are brought in contact with in our daily lives, especially in a teaching environment.

Also, have you written those Рассказы Дзядьи Станкевича yet? The kids are waiting...

But ekh, ya ne znayu... You know I'm broadly sympathetic and have little but good to say of your folk from my work contacts with them and other links, but you saw how I - a poor Russian speaker - can near enough read your language, like with that story you posted. I fail to see how its difference from Russian is any greater than that of the old Lancashire dialect from Standard English. Lancastrian is near enough dead now (though the accent remains, but it was inevitable it would die. The people themselves killed it, just as yours are doing now. THere's a lot more of you, but the position is fairly similar, having an all too similar huge powerful political centre breathing down your neck, no?

Last Online
    06-14-2017 @ 09:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Polesian
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Taxonomy
    East-Alpinid/Robust East-Mediterranid
    Politics
    xenophobic capitalism
    Religion
    BelAOC
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    But ekh, ya ne znayu... You know I'm broadly sympathetic and have little but good to say of your folk from my work contacts with them and other links, but you saw how I - a poor Russian speaker - can near enough read your language, like with that story you posted. I fail to see how its difference from Russian is any greater than that of the old Lancashire dialect from Standard English. Lancastrian is near enough dead now (though the accent remains, but it was inevitable it would die. The people themselves killed it, just as yours are doing now. THere's a lot more of you, but the position is fairly similar, having an all too similar huge powerful political centre breathing down your neck, no?
    Hm. Well, here are results of a poll (it was carried out in Belarus at the end of the last year):

31,6% of respondents said they could fluently speak and write in Belarusian;
    42,7% said they could read Belarusian, understand the language but had difficulty in speaking Belarusian;
    22% said they could understand Belarusian but had difficulty in reading Belarusian;
    2,3% said they didn’t understand Belarusian at all.

SOURCE 1 and SOURCE 2

So, well, I congratulate you: you certainly wouldn’t be in the fourth group.

I don’t think that the death of the language is inevitable. As I said I went to a Belarusian class and learned there for 9 years. It was probably the first Belarusian class in that school during all its history (even the Soviet Union existed yet at that time I believe), but still it must have been something in the air that made parents to send their children to that class. “The wind of changes”, as Scorpions sang. Later that “something” disappeared, but who knows if forever... The salvation must begin from changing of the attitude of the people, and that can be done.

Alas, I am no expert on English dialects, and can’t say if your comparison is correct, but I don’t think that if a language X is similar to a language Y, one of them is a dialect of the other. I have noticed that on the internetz it is not considered impolite to write in Ukrainian to a Belarusian or in Belarusian to a Ukrainian, for example. It is generally believed that Ukrainians have no problems in understanding Belarusians and vice versa. But you could expect “LOL WUT?” if you suggested that the Belarusian language is a dialect of Ukrainian on other way round. I remember my Polish teacher said once that for Poles the Slovak language sounds like a baby talk. There could be more such examples, I believe.

It’s not about similarities. I often repeat “the organism of the language”, “the system of the language” like some incantations, but I’d probably fail if I tried to explain in English what I mean. I have no doubts that the Belarusian language with all its dialects constitutes a system on its own, with its own regularities, structures etc. This is what is crucial. How similar is the system to other such systems is irrelevant.

Here is a fragment of Jury Paciupa’s article (as you remember “there is no other Grammar Fuehrer but Dr. Jan Stankievič, and Jury Paciupa is His Prophet”). He gives an example how the same words in Russian and Belarusian have different syntactic compatibility. I’m not sure that it can “prove” anything, but I think it can illustrate the idea of a “separate system” (that it is not just about some words and some accent):
    Spoiler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    I hear your argument, yet can you tell me other reasons other than just keeping up the tradition?

I mean in many other cases the national aspect preserves also other aspects of the identity and character of a people from cultural traditions and identity, racial heritage and social structures etc.

In the case of the Belarussians, we obviously deal with a people which are very close to the Russian Slavic brothers so to say, I'm just asking whether there is something like a higher order reasoning and special identity-mythology-mentality or whatever aspect, which goes beyond the "we were people apart for a certain time, have specific Western-Baltic influences and our language is different, we should keep it that way, even if being otherwise really close (obviously)."
    First of all I believe in what Dr. Jan Stankievič said: that our language is a precious treasure, a creation of the soul of the nation, more valuable than any gems. And I am no materialist, so take the word “soul” literally.

There exists a stereotype that once upon a time Belarusians and Russians constituted one entity, but were separated and different influences made us different. Actually I am not sure that before XVIII century such an entity ever existed. We can ask Osweo, he will know. I know that Belarusians probably constituted such an entity with Ukrainians for a certain period, but with Muscovites? I could share my thoughts on why the Russification (as accepting the West-Russian identity) was so successful in XIX century, but I doubt if anyone is interested.

I am a bit puzzled by your question, to be honest. For me (maybe because I was brought up that way) everything is simple: we are Belarusians, they are Russians, our fatherland is Belarus, and their fatherland is Russia. We have different history, different mentalities and... What else is needed? Oh, and I am a bit prejudiced against “that terrible Russia, where anything can happen to you”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Ah and I would like to know how you think about Russian-Belarussian relations in general
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ I dunno lol. I love Ukrainians more. I have nothing against cooperation in some areas or trade, but the border must be guarded as well as the border with the EU.
    WR, if you care so much, why don't you go along to your old school and offer to teach classes of the language, in evenings or whenever, for a minor wage or for free? None of us can change what happens in our countries as a whole, but we can at least have some impact on a handful of people who we are brought in contact with in our daily lives, especially in a teaching environment.
    I think I couldn’t do it in our school system. Besides it is possible that they have such facultative classes there (that a teacher who is in need of additional money organizes it).

I am thinking of becoming a professional Grammar Nazi, like Dr. Jan Stankievič and Jury Paciupa (it means some years of additional studies). At the moment those who care so much can do little to prevent “quantitative losses” but a lot to prevent “qualitative losses”. Also I am trying to become a translator, although the fail with Dontsov’s “Nationalism” discouraged me a bit. Why nobody wants to publish that fascistoid masterpiece?
    Also, have you written those Рассказы Дзядьи Станкевича yet? The kids are waiting...
    No, sir. Not yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information