Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 762
    Given: 635

0 Not allowed!

My paternal grandfather was a Schutzstaffel soldier. He died before I was born, but he left me his uniform and insignia.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

3 Not allowed!

Stears maternal grandfather - fought as simple soldier in Hungarian Army on the eastern front. After the war he was captured as POW and transported to Russia where he spent several years in captivity (forced labor). Didn't return home completely sane. Later during 1956 Revolution him and other friend tore down Stalin monument in their town with tractor and ended up in jail (luckily, because they could have ended up worse)

His paternal grandfather - officer in Hungarian Army who didn't see much combat because he was a lawyer by profession so Army took him as educated man. Spent most of war in his native Transylvania. When red army started nearing towards Transylvania, he took his numerous children and they went towards Germany, because he didn't want to surrender to Soviets. He surrendered in southern Germany in American occupation zone. Received very good treatment by Americans and he wanted to immigrate to the US, but didn't because lot of family and smallest child remained in Transylvania. Lived peacefully in Hungary after the war but lost all wealth and social rank he had before, and never saw Szekely Land again.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,618
    Given: 4,633

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Maternal grandpa - Yugoslav Partisans (Allies) - volunteered at age 15, took part in some of biggest battles in this region like Sutjeska, where he was severely wounded and almost had his legs amputated. Finished the war war with tons of decorations and rank of Captain and he was supposed to go to Russia to Soviet military academy to become a general in Yugoslav Army. However his parents who were living in the US prevented that because they hated communism with passion.

Paternal grandpa - mobilized into Croatian Home Guard (Axis) towards the end of the war after release from Jasenovac concentration camp. Didn't see much active combat as he was in anti-aircraft warfare unit. Saved by his partisan friend during retreat towards Austria (Bleiburg massacre). Later he carried messages from Crusaders (Axis who refused to surrender even after war ended) to Catholic Church headquarters in Zagreb and was arrested. Would have been executed for that but again another family friend who was high ranked communist saved his ass. Ended up several years in prison and stripped of civil rights on 10 year period in post war Yugoslavia.
    My great-grandfather (father of my paternal grandmother) was member of Dinara Chetnik Division. He migrated in UK.

Brother of my great-grandmother (from my mother's side) was member of Dinara Chetnik Division. He migrated in Chicago.

Two brothers of my great-grandfather (from my mother's side) were members of Dinara Cheznik Division, both migrated in Canada.
    Their brother (third brother of my great-grandfather) was in Partisans. Because he lived in Šabac before war (he came to Šabac to study and stayed there). He died at the Syrmian Front.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Varda View Post
    My great-grandfather (father of my paternal grandmother) was member of Dinara Chetnik Division. He migrated in UK.

Brother of my great-grandmother (from my mother's side) was member of Dinara Chetnik Division. He migrated in Chicago.

Two brothers of my great-grandfather (from my mother's side) were members of Dinara Cheznik Division, both migrated in Canada.
    Their brother (third brother of my great-grandfather) was in Partisans. Because he lived in Šabac before war (he came to Šabac to study and stayed there). He died at the Syrmian Front.
    I know vast majority of Dalmatian Serbs were Chetniks, especially from your area. Just like almost all Dalmatian Croats from islands and coast were Partisans.
    Croats from Dalmatian hinterland were much more likely to be Ustashe.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,618
    Given: 4,633

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    I know vast majority of Dalmatian Serbs were Chetniks, especially from your area. Just like almost all Dalmatian Croats from islands and coast were Partisans.
    Croats from Dalmatian hinterland were much more likely to be Ustashe.
    My cousin who was in Partisans and died at the Syrmian Front was in Partisans because he lived in Serbia. If he stayed in Dalmatia he would probably join to Chetniks.
    His mother (my great-great-grandmother) had an cash income after war as the mother of a fallen Partisan.

Yes, Croatians from Dalmatian hinterland were mostly in ustashe. Vast majority of Dalmatian Croatians in partisans were from the coast and islands. Italian occupation and annexation of the coast and islands was reason why they joined to partisans. Most of the Hinterland was part of NDH.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,642
    Given: 5,915

3 Not allowed!

Maternal grandfather: scout and later artellery captain. Took part in defence of Sevastopol, had awards. Sevastopol fell because of shortage of ammunition and he became a POV. He managed to conceal his officer rank. He starved and laboured in Eastern France in one of Stalag concentration camps. Somehow, his math skill helped him in becoming a private teacher of a child of a local resident so he survived and was liberated by American troops. About a year of Soviet filtration camp followed, which was very bitter for him morally. He was justified.

Maternal maternal great grandfather: had some bureaucratic service both in Finnish war and in WWII proper. His division ended WWII near Prague.
    Last edited by Rumata; 04-07-2021 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Eastern France
    Do what you should.

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Politics
    NWO Masonic Luciferianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,376
    Given: 31,164

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Mine too.

My grandfather on the right, in front of the Florence Cathedral during the war.
    Very cool photograph

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ✨👽✨
    Ancestry
    Preußisches Sachsen, Hessen, Bayern, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Yorkshire, Kent, Catalonia, Menorca
    Country
    Malta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,844
    Given: 786

0 Not allowed!

Both the German and American side

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ✨👽✨
    Ancestry
    Preußisches Sachsen, Hessen, Bayern, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Yorkshire, Kent, Catalonia, Menorca
    Country
    Malta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,844
    Given: 786

0 Not allowed!

My grandparents were the same way about this... I'm sure there's probably a way to research and find out for myself but who has the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I asked my father lomg time ago but he gave a vague answer.

Last Online
    06-08-2023 @ 07:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    No idea
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    Northern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Minnesota
    Y-DNA
    No idea
    mtDNA
    No Idea
    Taxonomy
    WTF is this?
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Agnostic-raised Lutheran
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 849
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Both of my grandfathers served in WW2 and so did most of my great-uncles. My paternal grandfather fought in the Pacific vs the Japanese and didn't come home until late October 1945. He was the squad BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) man. He was wounded twice. My maternal grandfather served as a sergeant in Patton's 3rd Army in France, Rhineland, Siegfried Line, Austria and Czechoslovakia. Both earned the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB)

My grandfather and all 6 of his brothers served at the same time. 3 in the Marine Corps, 3 in the US Army and one in the US Navy (USS Washington)

My grandfather and uncles all fought on Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Luzon, Guam, France, Germany, Austria etc.. Very typical of that generation.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information