Politics
    Revolt of the Neanderthals
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Finger length 'linked to financial success'

Finger length 'linked to financial success'

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP Science Writer Randolph E. Schmid, Ap Science Writer – Mon Jan 12 2009

WASHINGTON (Yahoo) –- The length of a man's ring finger may predict his success as a financial trader, according to researchers at the University of Cambridge in England as quoted by media on Tuesday.

The researchers reported that men with longer ring fingers, compared to their index fingers, tended to be more successful in the frantic high-frequency trading in the London financial district.

Indeed, the impact of biology on success was about equal to years of experience at the job, the team led by physiologist John M.Coates reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

It's suggested that a relatively long ring finger is a sign that the body's organs were exposed to higher levels of testosterone, while a relatively long index finger points to lower level of the male hormone and higher levels of oestrogen.

The researchers studied male financial traders in London, taking saliva samples in the morning and evening. They found that those with higher levels of testosterone in the morning were more likely to make an unusually big profit that day. Testosterone, best known as the male sex hormone, affects aggression, confidence and risk-taking.

In their study, the researchers measured the right hands of 44 male stock traders who were engaged in a type of trade that involved rapid decision-making and quick physical reactions.

Over 20 months those with longer ring fingers compared to their index fingers made 11 times more money than those with the shortest ring fingers. Over the same time the most experienced traders made about 9 times more than the least experienced ones.

Looking only at experienced traders, the long-ring-finger folks earned 5 times more than those with short ring fingers.

While the finger ratio appears to signal likely success in high-actively trading that calls for risk-taking and quick reactions, it may not indicate people who would do well at other sorts of financial activities, the researchers said.

Some traders require additional skills on dealing with clients and sales workers.

And the advantage may even reverse for some, the Coates team said, such as traders taking a more analytical and long-term approach to the markets.

Last Online
    04-25-2015 @ 06:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Interesting study, I wonder if this has relevance for women too? Also, if this translates in financial success for men who aren't stock traders.

I was chewed out by a financial advisor yesterday for having a "too aggressive" profile on my IRA, he advised me to lower my exposure. Could it be because of my "masculine" digit ratio? Maybe I should have measured his digits?

I am certainly not having any financial success in today's market.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

I've seen this form of studies before, Both my left and my right ring fingers exceed 1.5 cm in relation to the index finger on their corresponding hand, this is supposedly a bigger difference than what is considered normal.

Last Online
    03-06-2021 @ 01:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Italian with a touch of Irish
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Arizona
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

My ring fingers are noticeably longer than my index finger, yet i'm still broke

Last Online
    05-03-2012 @ 02:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    The North Star
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    Super Nordid
    Politics
    Realism
    Religion
    Narcissism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

my fingers are all short and stubby ;-; and essentially the two are the same length ;-;

Apricity Supporter Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-28-2011 @ 11:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scandogermania
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Gracile CM
    Politics
    "Ethnocultural-continuity"
    Religion
    Mit dem Schwan
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

People in the ancient past didn't believe in palmistry for nothing.

Most things are heavily genetically determined; lines on the hand, "bumps" on the hand, length of fingers, are all also {obviously} genetically-determined. It is only logical that there would be a correlation.

I remember years ago someone explained this to me:

- The top horizontal line on the palm shows how good you are at relationships (a solid, clear, deep, unbroken line means you are good at them; a weak, broken up, or 'chained' line means you will have trouble with them).
    - The middle horizontal line is your intelligence or IQ (deep/clear/unbroken=smarter; also longer=smarter).
    - The bottom line that goes more vertical is for Health. A clear deep line means good health

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

I suspect low 2d4d ratio is also linked to broad facedness. Finns are both very broad faced and have very low 2d4d.

Thread Information