View Poll Results: What should be Cyprus' fate?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay as is (divided between Greek and Turkish Cypriots

2 9.52%
  • Become part of Turkey

0 0%
  • Become part of Greece

7 33.33%
  • Become an independent country

11 52.38%
  • Other

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should happen to Cyprus?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Default What should happen to Cyprus?

The Cypriots are of different stock to mainland Greeks. In large part, Greek Cypriots are a remnant of the once-Hellenized Asia Minor.

The Greek Cypriots however feel Greek and have felt that way for thousands of years ever since their Hellenization so it might be prudent to see them become part of Greece than become an independent country.

There is a little snag, as we know, the recent neo-Ottomanism by Turkey, they invaded Cyprus which prevented the island-nation who had recently became independent from British rule from joining Greece and led to a war which was a stalemate that ended with a fragile peace treaty.

As we know, Cyprus is much closer to the Middle East and Turkey whereas it is not as close to Greece and Europe. So, one might vote in favor of Turkey just because Cyprus isn't sufficiently European in some peoples' eyes.
    Last edited by poiuytrewq0987; 09-27-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Sauerkraut enthousiast Tyrrhenoi's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-27-2011 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance & Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Oscan-Italic / Nether-Saxon
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voinstvennyi View Post
    What do you think should happen to the island?

When in doubt...... NUKE IT

No really! Who gives a f***??

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Cyprus should become an independent nation. Those Turks and Greeks that were living there before 1974 and their direct offspring have a right to stay there. Those Turks that were shipped in as colonizers by the Turkish government will have to be kicked out and send back to Turkey.

It would be an idea to keep international peacekeepers there for the time being while Cypriot Greeks and Cypriot Turks work themselves on a solution. It would be ideal if the two groups would decide that they decided to say "screw Greece and screw Turkey -let's be Cyprus instead.

While they were working things out they could become a temporal crown colony of Great Britain again (with a clause stating that Cypriots are not free to move to England) who would maintain the peace at the head of that international peacekeeping mission.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Asega View Post
    Cyprus should become an independent nation. Those Turks and Greeks that were living there before 1974 and their direct offspring have a right to stay there. Those Turks that were shipped in as colonizers by the Turkish government will have to be kicked out and send back to Turkey.

It would be an idea to keep international peacekeepers there for the time being while Cypriot Greeks and Cypriot Turks work themselves on a solution. It would be ideal if the two groups would decide that they decided to say "screw Greece and screw Turkey -let's be Cyprus instead.

While they were working things out they could become a temporal crown colony of Great Britain again (with a clause stating that Cypriots are not free to move to England) who would maintain the peace at the head of that international peacekeeping mission.
    I don't think the Turks have a right to live on Cyprus. The Ottoman Empire annexed the island in 1570 (a hundred years after the fall of the Byzantine Empire) and the Turks hardly make up the majority of Cypriots today (less than 20%). I think the Turks should be expelled from the island and see the restoration of Byzantine, i.e. Greek rule to the island.

What are you smoking by the way? The shit you're smoking must be good because I don't really get why Cyprus should again become a colony of Britain. Just because Britain took the island from the Ottomans' control as a result of Ottomans' defeat in WW1?

Also I don't think it's ever possible for Greek and Turkish Cypriots to work together. Today's division of Cyprus is enough proof of how much they hate each others.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

1 Not allowed!

I don't think the Turks have a right to live on Cyprus. The Ottoman Empire annexed the island in 1570 (a hundred years after the fall of the Byzantine Empire) and the Turks hardly make up the majority of Cypriots today (less than 20%). I think the Turks should be expelled from the island and see the restoration of Byzantine, i.e. Greek rule to the island.
    They weren't always killing each other, you know. With the original people on the island (with the colonists kicked out) denouncing both Greek and Turkish rule there is a reasonable chance that there will be some peace and quiet.

What are you smoking by the way? The shit you're smoking must be good because I don't really get why Cyprus should again become a colony of Britain. Just because Britain took the island from the Ottomans' control as a result of Ottomans' defeat in WW1?
    A British-led administration and peacekeeping force should only be there for the time being until peace and order is restored and a united Cyprus can rule itself again.

Let yourself be led by ideas that could work out for Cyprus (and the British know them and they know the British as they are still based on the island - don't let yourself be led by your misjudged, unfounded hatred for Britain and Britons.

Also I don't think it's ever possible for Greek and Turkish Cypriots to work together. Today's division of Cyprus is enough proof of how much they hate each others.
    I am sure that inter-communal violence was sponsored by both Greece and Turkey so that's why for the sake of Cyprus itself both countries should be kept at bay as they have caused enough mischief. If necessary foreign troops should remain deployed alongside a united Cypriot national army.

And I think that they can work together. It will at first be shaky and uneasy as the killings has gone on for decades- like in Northern Ireland.

But I think that your motivation is solely based on your insane idea of Balkanising as many countries as possible because your own countrymen couldn't stop killing each other in the 1990s. Is the west partially responsible for it ? Yes we are. But it were you folks that pulled the trigger.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Asega View Post
    They weren't always killing each other, you know. With the original people on the island (with the colonists kicked out) denouncing both Greek and Turkish rule there is a reasonable chance that there will be some peace and quiet.
    The original Cypriots chose to be Hellenized and they have been for many millennia's and continue to be today. The Turkish Cypriots are not really Cypriot at all. It would be like calling a black African who've lived in the Netherlands for a number of years then calling him Dutch.

Let yourself be led by ideas that could work out for Cyprus (and the British know them and they know the British as they are still based on the island - don't let yourself be led by your misjudged, unfounded hatred for Britain and Britons.
    I don't see why Britain should assume the role of "peacekeeping" and whatsoever. That is world policing and great powers sticking their noses where they don't belong.
    I am sure that inter-communal violence was sponsored by both Greece and Turkey so that's why for the sake of Cyprus itself both countries should be kept at bay as they have caused enough mischief. If necessary foreign troops should remain deployed.
    But you don't know. An independent Cyprus will still remain linguistically and characteristically Greek because the original, non-Hellenized Cypriots are not here today but rather the descendants of Hellenized Cypriots are. And do you know what this means for the Turks? They will not accept such Cyprus, the Turkish Cypriots want Cyprus to be annexed to Turkey and see the Turkification of Cyprus.

But I think that your motivation is solely based on your of Balkanising as many countries as possible because your own countrymen couldn't stop killing each other in the 1990s. Is the west partially responsible for it ? Yes we are. But it were you folks that pulled the trigger.
    My Balkanization joke is just that, a joke though I do take great pleasure in imagining the demise of European powers through Balkanization as I have saw mine.

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

Just as a historical aside, it is interesting to note that Cyrprus has been under British administration twice in its history. It was conquered by Richard the Lionheart in 1191 and later sold to the Knights Templar.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    Just as a historical aside, it is interesting to note that Cyrprus has been under British administration twice in its history. It was conquered by Richard the Lionheart in 1191 and later sold to the Knights Templar.
    So what was British about it?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    There was no such identity in the 12th century.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    So what was British about it?
    Don't nitpick. He only lived 500 years before the Acts of Union, after all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information