View Poll Results: What was Hitler's religious position?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian

17 43.59%
  • Atheist

12 30.77%
  • Pagan

5 12.82%
  • Other

5 12.82%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was Hitler an Atheist?

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 10:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Secular Liberal, Progressive Leftist
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,042/413
    Given: 755/27

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Public expressions of faith

Hitler was confirmed as a Roman Catholic and identified as a Catholic for most or all of his life, never openly renouncing his Catholicism, though the theology he later developed for Nazi Germany (Positive Christianity) diverged considerably from Catholic beliefs and practices. Relations between the Nazi Party and the Catholic Church were uneasy. Although Pope Pius XI had an anti-Nazi encyclical read in all German Catholic churches in 1937, and his successor Pius XII (who wrote the anti-Nazi encyclical in question) has been nominated for "Righteous Among the Nations" status for his work in saving Jews during the Holocaust, the Catholic Church did not take all that much open action against the Nazis. On the other hand, one can argue that open defiance of Hitler would have risked the lives of Catholic citizens (and the Jews they might be protecting). The Church had better relations with some of Germany's fascist allies, Italy and Spain in particular.

As an adult, Hitler often spoke and wrote positively about religion, and about Jesus Christ whom he viewed as an Aryan denouncing the corruption and decadence of Jews. References to God and divine inspiration were common in Hitler's speeches at Nazi rallies. The following are a few examples:

"Today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

"My feelings as a Christian point me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter.

—Speech in Munich on 12 April 1922

"It matters not whether these weapons of ours are humane: if they gain us our freedom, they are justified before our conscience and before our God.
    —Speech in Munich on 1 August 1923 (Grotesque interpretation of freedom, eh?)

"I may not be a light of the church, a pulpiteer, but deep down I am a pious man, and believe that whoever fights bravely in defense of the natural laws framed by God and never capitulates will never be deserted by the Lawgiver, but will, in the end, receive the blessings of Providence."
    —Speech on 5 July 1944

A speech he gave in 1937 also contained numerous references to God, in which he also quite explicitly refers to "God's work" in talking about human beings and their characteristics.[19]

As Chancellor, Hitler also launched an "anti-godless" campaign against atheist and freethought organizations, specifically against the atheism associated with Stalin's Communism, "Gottlosenbewegung" in German (literally "movement of the godless" associated with "wicked communism"). In a 1933 speech he declared "We have stamped [Gottlosenbewegung] out".
    Last edited by Petros Agapetos; 12-01-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up/Down

Hitler's Private criticisms of Christianity
    Accounts of conversations suggest that Hitler was privately much more critical of Christianity than he was in his speeches, and possibly even an atheist or a deist. Most of these accounts come from Hitler's Table Talk, a collection of monologues and conversations between Hitler and his inner circle of advisers and high-ranking Nazi leaders in the early 1940s, which were transcribed in shorthand at the time and later collated and published long after Hitler's death.

Regardless of what Hitler believed about God or Christ, comments in Hitler's Table Talk indicate that he was highly critical of the church and of conventional organized Christianity with its "love thy neighbor" attitude (something he saw as weak), and that he resented having to pander to Christian values for popular support. He was also very negative about Paul of Tarsus, whom he viewed as the originator of these values and as a "proto-Bolshevik". Among the most outspoken comments are the following:

"Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure.
    The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death. A slow death has something comforting about it. The dogma of Christianity gets worn away before the advances of science. Religion will have to make more and more concessions. Gradually the myths crumble."

"Science cannot lie, for it's always striving, according to the momentary state of knowledge, to deduce what is true. When it makes a mistake, it does so in good faith. It's Christianity that's the liar. It's in perpetual conflict with itself. One may ask whether the disappearance of Christianity would entail the disappearance of belief in God. That's not to be desired."

"I can imagine people being enthusiastic about the paradise of Mahomet, but as for the insipid paradise of the Christians! In your lifetime, you used to hear the music of Richard Wagner. After your death, it will be nothing but hallelujahs, the waving of palms, children of an age for the feeding-bottle, and hoary old men."

This negative attitude towards Christianity (at least in its conventional form) also reflects similar comments he had made in Mein Kampf, such as
    "Each one of us to-day may regret the fact that the advent of Christianity was the first occasion on which spiritual terror was introduced into the much freer ancient world".
    Last edited by Petros Agapetos; 12-01-2016 at 05:33 AM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up/Down

Mein Kampf (My Struggle) was written by Hitler whilst imprisoned for just over one year after the Munich Putsch in 1923. Apparently it was edited with the help of a Roman Catholic priest, who was subsequently assassinated on the "Night of the Long Knives." It is a rambling, seemingly unedited, account of Hitler's "personal difficulties". These he attributed to the Jews who were running the capitalist system; to the same Jews who were also somehow simultaneously running the Bolsheviks trying to overthrow the capitalist system; and to the Jews who had been responsible for the surrender of Germany in 1918. Despite this autobiography being a jingoistic, ber-Germanic screed, Hitler also decided to give a shoutout to fellow anti-Semite Henry Ford for his sterling propaganda efforts against the Jooz.

A particularly poignant struggle was young Adolf's rejection from the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, where they advised him to try to become an architect, but he did not have a high school diploma, so he opted to try his hand at World Domination instead. The school probably still regrets this.

In the controversial The Jew of Linz, Kimberley Cornish suggested that Hitler's animosity against the Jews developed when he met one in his class at school, who was smarter than everyone else and generally irritating. His name was Ludwig Wittgenstein, who later became a philosopher. Wittgenstein, with uncharacteristic practical wisdom, fled to Oxford in the 1930s, where he did prove smarter than everyone else and threatened Karl Popper with a poker.

Mein Kampf didn't exactly sell badly until 1933, but with about 220,000 copies sold, it wasn't a real bestseller, either, and in fact was held in contempt by most establishment conservatives and right-wing extremists (including, amusingly enough, Benito Mussolini). It wasn't until 1933 that millions of copies were printed and handed out for just about any major or minor event in the life of a German (marriage, childbirth, entry into the Nazi Party) as a gift.

Like any "bible", Mein Kampf isn't actually meant to be read by its believers. It is boring, repetitive and, unsurprisingly, poorly written. The most recent English edition is peppered with footnotes indicating each of Hitler's lies and exaggerations, starting on the first page. The book, however, is often strangely hilarious. Hitler's tendency to make outrageous claims in a completely unironic, deadpan manner are a frequent source of unintentional comedy.

In fact Istanbul-born German comedian Serdar Somuncu for a time made a living touring Germany and reading Mein Kampf in a way that made it appear as the hilarious string of badly written sentences that it is (though not as badly written as this one)

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Botswana
    Region
    Hordaland
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8,039/417
    Given: 11,224/66

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

He was maybe a Catholic, but probably ended up as atheist or anti-Christian at least. German nation was back then a Christian nation (more then now) and one of binding factors was Christianity. No wonder propaganda was used since behind doors (testimones of people, Hitler's table talk) he spoke against Christianity. Whatever he was, a man who promotes positive Christianity, persecutes a Catholic Church can't really be a Catholic.

He was an atheist like Stalin. Deal with it.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-27-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Misanthrope
    Country
    Mongolia
    Politics
    Lefty Alt-right
    Hero
    Angela Merkel
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,867/93
    Given: 2,219/571

Started as Christian, ended as Occultist or Pagan.

An imam of wealth and taste Poise n Pen's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-07-2016 @ 06:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    America
    Ancestry
    Various barbarians
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    American
    Politics
    Apocalypse
    Religion
    The Bomb
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,391/449
    Given: 3,275/368

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DI1ck View Post
    I am going to decline to answer because there are simply too many elements, too many dynamics that one could examine and then speculate upon. There is strong evidence of his Catholicism, while at the same time, I am not confident enough to know the mind of a man I never knew. Certain actions of his, particularly those relating to Martin Luther Day, admittedly seem a bit peculiar for a Catholic of his time. It is also possible that the man's spiritual worldview transformed over the course of his life. As for me staking any claims as to what the man's personal spiritual convictions or worldview were [at least towards the end of his days], I will refrain from speculation.

One thing is certain in my mind, he was not an atheist.
    Records show he was an atheist by the late 30s at least, it is just a fact. He also plotted actively on how to get rid of the church, but decided ultimately to leave it til after the war. So not only was he an admitted atheist out of his own mouth, but he was actively anti-christian.
    If it weren't for us you'd be speaking German. Instead, you'll be speaking Arabic.
    http://simplicitymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up/Down

Do you think Hitler was a believing Christian?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    J2b1>PH4306>Y22066>?
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,063/94
    Given: 1,402/90

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Agapetos View Post
    Hitler saw himself as doing God's work
    But it all depends on what was his view of God. I also believe in God but my God has nothing to do with other people Gods. It has to do with IQ also, i dont believe that Hitler seen God as other people did, if he did at all. And i am not sure did we share same views of God. I think he was not on that level either. However worst is the bottom level, and that is where 95% of people are. Their concept of God is associated with extremely low IQ people that are unable to feel free and independent but rather under control and blind.

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 09:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    /
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 823/370
    Given: 436/85

Who care? He loose.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 10:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 198/9
    Given: 55/6

He was pagan, like Himmler. Mussolini was an atheist.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information