Thread: Solar Panels On White House: Obama To Install Solar Panels In 2011

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb Solar Panels On White House: Obama To Install Solar Panels In 2011

Solar Panels On White House: Obama To Install Solar Panels In 2011

WASHINGTON — Solar power is coming to President Barack Obama's house.
    The most famous residence in America, which has already boosted its green credentials by planting a garden, plans to install solar panels atop the White House's living quarters. The solar panels are to be installed by spring 2011, and will heat water for the first family and supply some electricity.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced the plans Tuesday in Washington at a conference of local, state, academic and nonprofit leaders aimed at identifying how the federal government can improve its environmental performance.

Former Presidents Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush both tapped the sun during their days in the White House. Carter in the late 1970s spent $30,000 on a solar water-heating system for West Wing offices. Bush's solar systems powered a maintenance building and some of the mansion, and heated water for the pool.

Obama, who has championed renewable energy, has been under increasing pressure by the solar industry and environmental activists to lead by example by installing solar at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, something White House officials said has been under consideration since he first took office.

The decision perhaps has more import now after legislation to reduce global warming pollution died in the Senate, despite the White House's support. Obama has vowed to try again on a smaller scale.

Last month, global warming activists with 350.org carried one of Carter's solar panels – which were removed in 1986 – from Unity College in Maine to Washington to urge Obama to put solar panels on his roof. It was part of a global campaign to persuade world leaders to install solar on their homes. After a meeting with White House officials, they left Washington without a commitment.

Bill McKibben, the founder of the 350.org group, said Tuesday the administration did the right thing.

"If it has anything like the effect of the White House garden, it could be a trigger for a wave of solar installations across the country and around the world," McKibben said in a statement.

What was unclear Tuesday was how much the White House solar project will cost, and how much fossil fuel-based electricity it would displace, since the system is not yet designed and the White House will not disclose how much energy is needed to keep the president's lights turned on.

Based on available roof space, administration officials expect the photovoltaic system will include between 25 to 75 panels and will convert sunlight into 19,700 kilowatt hours of electricity a year. That would save a typical household $2,300 on its electricity bill, based on commercial rates in Washington. The solar hot water heating system, based on government estimates, could save an additional $1,000 a year.

But the White House is far from a typical house, noted Danny Kennedy, the founder of California-based solar energy provider Sungevity, which offered to put solar panels on the White House for free earlier this year as part of a campaign called SolarontheWhiteHouse.

Kennedy estimates that outfitting Obama's pad with solar would cost about $100,000 if paid out of pocket. But the money would be earned back with savings on the electric bill in the first five years, he said in an interview from the Maldives, where he is installing 48 solar panels on President Mohammed Nasheed's private residence.

Kennedy said his calculations were based on a 5,000 square-foot California home, which uses 60,000 kilowatt hours of electricity annually.

"They use a lot more electricity than that," Kennedy said. "We had to make a few assumptions about what electricity cost was in the White House."

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

All for it. As long as it doesn't eff up the look of the building and as long as he pays for it himself and doesn't foot the bill to John Doe.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Old Stockade American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I think that it is a great idea for the White House to supplement its energy needs with photovoltaics.

I just wish I could afford to do so!

Banned
    Last Online
    11-03-2011 @ 02:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lost Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Lemkos Clearly not Germanic
    Ancestry
    Lemkos, Not Germanic
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    West Australia
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Atlantid + CM
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    My own Rationale
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eburos View Post
    I think that it is a great idea for the White House to supplement its energy needs with photovoltaics.

I just wish I could afford to do so!
    Over in Western Australia if you put solar panels on your roof, you can claim some of the money back. My universities library has nearly 100 panels on the roof. We have 8 at home. Next door neighbour has 10.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Old Stockade American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daguerreo View Post
    Over in Western Australia if you put solar panels on your roof, you can claim some of the money back. My universities library has nearly 100 panels on the roof. We have 8 at home. Next door neighbour has 10.
    The United States federal government has some great renewable energy tax credits and many states also have great incentives to go green but my problem is that I live in a cloudy climate with very few winter hours, not to mention the shipping and handling charges that Alaskans must pay.

My photovoltaic array would be huge!
    I have had a site analysis performed and my cost with inverter and battery backup approaches $60,000 US.
    This is more money than I would like to spend at the moment!

Banned
    Last Online
    11-03-2011 @ 02:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lost Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Lemkos Clearly not Germanic
    Ancestry
    Lemkos, Not Germanic
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    West Australia
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Atlantid + CM
    Politics
    National Liberal
    Religion
    My own Rationale
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eburos View Post
    The United States federal government has some great renewable energy tax credits and many states also have great incentives to go green but my problem is that I live in a cloudy climate with very few winter hours, not to mention the shipping and handling charges that Alaskans must pay.

My photovoltaic array would be huge!
    I have had a site analysis performed and my cost with inverter and battery backup approaches $60,000 US.
    This is more money than I would like to spend at the moment!
    I can understand that. for us it was only AU$5500 without any government credits.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish, English, Ulster Scots, Welsh
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Robert E. Lee, St. Nicholas
    Religion
    Christian Identity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 2,118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Batavi View Post
    All for it. As long as it doesn't eff up the look of the building and as long as he pays for it himself and doesn't foot the bill to John Doe.
    Agreed.
    Why the Holocaust™ is a Fable.__________Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

I retain copyright to all original content I post on The Apricity. Notice posted on June 13, 2020.
    "Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen!" Martin Luther (1483-1547)

Thread Information