Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Names and the way they shape us

Can Your Name Make You a Criminal?

By John Cloud - TIME

Thursday, Jan. 29, 2009

In the Shel Silverstein–penned Johnny Cash hit "A Boy Named Sue," a father explains that he gave his son so improbable a name because "I knew you'd have to get tough or die, and it's that name that helped to make you strong." It turns out that your first name may also help make you a criminal.

In a new study to be published in the March issue of Social Science Quarterly, David Kalist and Daniel Lee, economists at Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania, find that adolescent boys with unpopular names are likelier than other boys to be referred to the juvenile-justice system for alleged offenses. The researchers conclude that the Ernests, Prestons and Tyrells of America are significantly more delinquent than the Michaels and Davids. Why? (See the top 10 crime stories of 2008.)

The short answer is that our names play an important role in shaping the way we see ourselves — and, more important, how others see us. Abundant academic literature proves these points. A 1993 paper found that most people perceive those with unconventionally spelled names (Patric, Geoffrey) as less likely to be moral, warm and successful. A 2001 paper found that we have a tendency to judge boys' trustworthiness and masculinity from their names. (As a guy whose middle name is Ashley, I can attest to the second part.) In a 2007 paper (here's a PDF), University of Florida economist David Figlio found that boys with names commonly given to girls are likelier to be suspended from school. And an influential 1998 paper co-authored by psychologist Melvin (a challenging first name if there ever was one) Manis of the University of Michigan reported that "having an unusual name leads to unfavorable reactions in others, which then leads to unfavorable evaluations of the self."

Our first names also say a great deal about the extent of privilege enjoyed by the people who picked those names for us, our parents. In the new paper, Kalist and Lee point out that previous research has shown that the name Allison is rarely given to girls whose mothers didn't finish high school but is frequently given to girls whose mothers have 17 years or more of schooling. On average, parents with less schooling are likelier to pick unpopular names for their kids. (See pictures of a diverse group of American teens.)

How do you define unpopular? For their study, Kalist and Lee accumulated all 15,012 names given to the boys born in one large state between 1987 and 1991. (To get the boys' names, the authors had to agree not to reveal the state's name.) The researchers developed an equation that gave the most popular name of the period, Michael, a score of 100. The name David got a 50. Ernest, Preston, Tyrell, Kareem, Malcolm, Alec were each given a 1. Kalist and Lee theorized that the boys with the lower-scoring names might commit more delinquent acts.

Which is exactly what they found. The relationship is quite predictable and linear: if you pick a name that's 10% more popular than Ernest (Maxwell is the example that Kalist gave me), the population of Maxwells will have 3.7% fewer delinquents than the population of Ernests. Pretty neat, right?

The name doesn't cause the crime, of course, and the way people react to the name isn't the only other factor at work. Rather, boys with unpopular names are likelier to live in single-parent households and have less money. Those with unpopular names may also find it harder to get jobs because of the negative stigma toward certain names — particularly names likely to be given to African Americans, like Kareem. And the unemployed are likelier to commit crimes than those who work.

Does this mean we all have to name our kids something boring like John? What about the Baracks who manifestly overcome their name's unpopularity ? Isn't Silverstein right: Won't a boy named Sue learn to be strong?

Sometimes, yes. In a 2004 paper, Saku Aura of the University of Missouri and Gregory Hess of Claremont McKenna College point out that many African-American kids with what the authors call "blacker" names reap an important benefit: they have an improved sense of self as a member of an identified group.

But the preponderance of the research suggests that the improved sense of self may not overcome the discrimination toward people with unusual names. In other words, if you're trying to decide on a name for a newborn, consider Bob. It may be boring, but it's also safe.
    Correlation does not imply causation .

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

The researchers conclude that the Ernests, Prestons and Tyrells of America are significantly more delinquent than the Michaels and Davids. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by AF
    Correlation does not imply causation
    Aye. I can think of one reason other than a name why Tyrells is more likely to be in jail than David.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Does this mean we all have to name our kids something boring like John?
    What's wrong with the name 'John'?

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Aye. I can think of one reason other than a name why Tyrells is more likely to be in jail than David.
    Could it be something like race ?

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    Could it be something like race ?
    *gasp* Madam, how dare you insinuate...well...yeah, it's race.

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Oh the irony of it all! Our prime minister is named Kevin!

Junior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-13-2023 @ 08:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Anglo-Saxon/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    West & North European
    Ancestry
    Europe/UK - Prussia, Germany, England, Scotland. Father's Ydna lineage is I2b1 My mtdna is H3
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    H3i
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Australia First Party
    Religion
    Ancestral based
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

I think race has a lot to do with it... my mother & father brought my sisters and I up to be individuals and to question everything we were told(this was a problem for their own authority of course lol!)... we all have names that are not common, in fact my eldest sister has a very unusual name(I won't say it here for her privacy) and yet, she has 3 university degrees and has worked in very important govt jobs, rose to a high level in the reserve army and is an outstanding citizen.

My sister didn't have children herself, although I have had 3 myself and their blood is 'clean'! My dtrs have unusual names although my son(only 3 y.o.) has both his late Grandfathers' names which aren't so unusual. Neither of my girls have gotten into any specific trouble and I raised them both on my own. Their fathers are good law abiding citizens, which I am as well.

My little sister has not had children as yet, she is living and working in Germany. She also has an excellent record regardless of her own uncommon names.

I don't think it's the name, but I do believe it is the breeding, to which is added a generally common religious ideology and society based on a 'cult' that originated in the Middle East!

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

I think names do shape you to a degree. Everybody wants to live up to their family name (or fight against an embarassing name - what were the parents thinking?!)

O frabjous day! callooh callay!! Heimmacht's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-11-2022 @ 12:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    The Netherlands , Austria, Hungary, Czech republic, Russia.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordid
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 12

0 Not allowed!

There is some truth to it to an extend, of how the individual views his or her name with his/herself.

I always thought my own name sounds very harsch for a girl, it sounds feminine but very loaded, also the way (for instance) my teachers viewed me as a kid ( oh and it doesnt help to be very tall for your age either i might add ).

Still I don't really like my name, for it is not even European in origin...

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, it's race. Black people give their kids all sorts of weird names like DaChawndray, Shavawn and Tashaneekwa, also they misspell names because they don't know how they are supposed to be spelled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information