Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Blue eyes are increasingly rare in America

Blue eyes are increasingly rare in America
    Blame immigration patterns, intermarriage, and genetics

If the U.S. Census Bureau has it right, the 300 millionth American entered the United States kicking and screaming on Tuesday morning.The odds are that this milestone American is a boy, born to a white family in a California suburb. He will have a 1-in-4 shot of graduating from college, will probably marry, father two children, struggle with his weight, and live to see his 85th birthday.

What he will probably not have -- that his grandfather likely did -- is a pair of blue eyes.

Once a hallmark of the boy and girl next door, blue eyes have become increasingly rare among American children. Immigration patterns, intermarriage, and genetics all play a part in their steady decline. While the drop-off has been a century in the making, the plunge in the past few decades has taken place at a remarkable rate.

About half of Americans born at the turn of the 20th century had blue eyes, according to a 2002 Loyola University study in Chicago. By mid-century that number had dropped to a third. Today only about one 1 of every 6 Americans has blue eyes, said Mark Grant, the epidemiologist who conducted the study.

Grant was moved to research the subject when he noticed that blue eyes were much more prevalent among his elderly patients in the nursing home where he worked than in the general population. At first he thought blue eyes might be connected to life expectancy, so he began comparing data from early 20th- century health surveys. Turns out it has more to do with marriage patterns.

A

Today in Americas
    Bold Colombia rescue built on rebels' disarrayJesse Helms, conservative force in U.S. Senate, diesChanging dynamics in Iraq pose challenge for Obamacentury ago, 80 percent of people married within their ethnic group, Grant said. Blue eyes -- a genetically recessive trait -- were routinely passed down, especially among people of English, Irish, and Northern European ancestry.

By mid-century, a person's level of education -- and not ethnicity -- became the primary factor in selecting a spouse. As intermarriage between ethnic groups became the norm, blue eyes began to disappear, replaced by brown.

The influx of nonwhites into the United States, especially from Latin America and Asia, hastened the disappearance. Between 1900 and 1950, only about 1 in 10 Americans was nonwhite. Today that ratio is 1 in 3.

With the exception of an increased risk of macular degeneration (blue eyes are at greater risk) , eye color is biologically indicative of almost nothing. Boys are 3 percent to 5 percent likelier to have blue eyes than girls, but beyond that it's a non-issue -- physiologically speaking. The cultural implications are another story.

Preferences for fair skin and blue eyes stretch back in Europe to at least the Middle Ages, according to Hema Sundaram , author of "Face Value," a book about the history of beauty. For women in particular, especially those of European descent, fair skin and light eyes have long been seen as indicators of fertility and beauty.

America adopted those biases early on, and Hollywood reinforced them by anointing a long line of blue-eyed blondes such as Marilyn Monroe as the nation's sex symbols.

In the 1930s, eugenicists used the disappearance of blue eyes as a rallying cry to support immigration restrictions. They went so far as to map the parts of the country with the highest and lowest percentage of blue-eyed people.

So consumed were Americans with this ideal that in the '70s and '80s the fashion models who exemplified the All-American look were typically Scandinavian, said Katie Ford, CEO of Ford Models in New York, which has been in business for 60 years. But in the past decade those standards have begun to change, and Madison Avenue has taken note. The look advertisers want today favors honey-colored skin, brown hair, and green or brown eyes. The most successful models are coming from Brazil.

"Advertisers want the idealized form of the general population," Ford said. "Someone with perfect features but who the everyday person can relate to."

But even as blue eyes give way to brown, lighter eyes will maintain a certain allure, said Carolyn Kaufman, who teaches evolutionary psychology at Otterbein College in Ohio. When people see something pleasurable, their eyes dilate, Kaufman said. Dilated pupils signal happiness and are, in turn, considered attractive. Since they are easier to see on lighter eyes, they have a natural appeal.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/...b.1018eyes.php
    http://www.germanic-worlds.com

Germanic, Celtic & European ethnic preservation

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Down here just about everyone has blue or green eyes. (Even mexicans, native americans, and blacks.) I realize that my area is not representative of the nation as a whole. I don't believe that blue eyes will ever die out though. Even individuals with brown eyes can carry the genes for blue eyes, and if two individuals with brown eyes marry (who both carry the genes for blue) then they can give birth to a blue eyed child.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMoon View Post
    Down here just about everyone has blue or green eyes. (Even mexicans, native americans, and blacks.)
    ... Where do you live?

Germanic Preservationist Aragorn's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-12-2011 @ 06:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Low-Saxon
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Blacks with blue eyes, you saying?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutten View Post
    Blacks with blue eyes, you saying?
    It tends to be the half-castes who possess the dark skin and eyes of blue.
    I had one colleague from work who had the skin of an Arab and the most piercing blue eyes one could ever see.

His Mother was white and his Father black.

Germanic Preservationist Aragorn's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-12-2011 @ 06:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Low-Saxon
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Understand, but I didn't mean mixures, but blacks as Africans, without white ancestry.

Mixures are differently cases, I agree on that though.

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
    ... Where do you live?

Around the western part of Texas.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutten View Post
    Understand, but I didn't mean mixtures, but blacks as Africans, without white ancestry.
    Then surely it is impossible?! For a Negro to possess blue eyes, they must surely be 'mixed' along their line somewhere.

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Certainly here blue eyes are very common in fact they seem to be the most common colour in some areas, I've got blue eyes and nobody else that we have been able to trace in the family has, so I expect a total die off would take several hundred years

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Interesting! Almost everyone in my family is blue-eyed .

Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim View Post
    Certainly here blue eyes are very common in fact they seem to be the most common colour in some areas, I've got blue eyes and nobody else that we have been able to trace in the family has, so I expect a total die off would take several hundred years

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information