Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hors View Post
    I can't accept your point of view. It's based on the ethnical basis of political inspiration. There are other ideas in this spectrum, such as Iranian/Indian "Aryans", Mexican Nazi, Arab "Whites" etc. The only reliable criterion (on the population level) is the colour of the iris. Eyes don't lie.
    Ćmeric is correct; brown eyes are to be found in all Germanic and Nordish nations. This is especially true, at least in my experience, in the British Isles, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Netherlands (which also constitute the backbone of the old-stock American population). Though less common in Scandinavia, we have all seen examples of "atypical" subjects from said region, brown-eyed individuals among them. These traits were then exported to the dispoara of the aforementioned nations in Colonial lands. Phenotype, or any aspect of physical appearance, does not dictate ethnic origin as you suggest.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ćmeric View Post
    Not all Nordish people have blue eyes. Many have grey or green eyes. And some even have brown eyes. I know brown eyes are not uncommon among German-Americans. I've even met Norwegian-Americans with brown eyes.
    We have a lot of brown-eyed ethnic Swedes.
    I wonder where a mix of green grey and blue eyes would end up on the charts would I be classed as green eyed, grey eyed or blue eyed?

Who Dares Wins
    Last Online
    05-27-2010 @ 06:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

There are no "Nordish nations". There're Nordic nations. Nordish is a racial term, not ethnic one.

Scandinavians have only 5% of brown eyes, being thus almost completely Nordish. Other Germanics have higher frequencies of brown eyes, up to 40%, representing significant non-Nordish admixtures.

And if phenotype, or any aspect of physical appearance, does not dictate ethnic origin, then there is no reason not to consider culturally assimilated Pakis, Indians, Turks etc. as Germanics. Tha'ts not my idea of ethnic preservation.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

There are no "Nordish nations". There're Nordic nations. Nordish is a racial term, not ethnic one.

Scandinavians have only 5% of brown eyes, being thus almost completely Nordish. Other Germanics have higher frequencies of brown eyes, up to 40%, representing significant non-Nordish admixtures.

And if phenotype, or any aspect of physical appearance, does not dictate ethnic origin, then there is no reason not to consider culturally assimilated Pakis, Indians, Turks etc. as Germanics. Tha'ts not my idea of ethnic preservation.
    Alright fair enough, though.. My grandmother is brown eyed, yet my father is blue eyed? Would she not be nordish by your terms and he would be? How can a parents race differ from it's child’s?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

I can't accept your point of view. It's based on the ethnical basis of political inspiration. There are other ideas in this spectrum, such as Iranian/Indian "Aryans", Mexican Nazi, Arab "Whites" etc. The only reliable criterion (on the population level) is the colour of the iris. Eyes don't lie.
    Are you then outrightly saying that unless you have blue eyes you can't possibly be Nordish, Hors?

...Aemma

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Are you then outrightly saying that unless you have blue eyes you can't possibly be Nordish, Hors?

...Aemma
    Seems Nordish is the new Aryan.

I wonder would green eyed people be considered Nordish, or grey eyed people be considered Nordish?

What if your parents have both dark blue eyes and you end up with brown eyes, as it is generically possible and has happened several times (or it might be a cheap excuse to save the mailman..) would the child be none Nordish because his eyes are not blue then? it seems very fishy..

I just find it strange that by his argument two twins could be of different races just depending on how they look.. one have to realise that all our genes do not effect what we look like and a clone does by no means look 100% identical to the original. Would then the clone not be the same race?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargtand View Post
    Seems Nordish is the new Aryan.

I wonder would green eyed people be considered Nordish, or grey eyed people be considered Nordish?

What if your parents have both dark blue eyes and you end up with brown eyes, as it is generically possible and has happened several times (or it might be a cheap excuse to save the mailman..) would the child be none Nordish because his eyes are not blue then? it seems very fishy..

I just find it strange that by his argument two twins could be of different races just depending on how they look.. one have to realise that all our genes do not effect what we look like and a clone does by no means look 100% identical to the original. Would then the clone not be the same race?
    Yes I wholly understand what you're saying Alexander. And this has me perplexed as well. Both of my parents had hazel eyes and I ended up with grey (with blonde hair as a kid) and my sister with brown eyes (and always has been a brunette)...and yes, we come from the same parents!

...Aemma

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

It's complete bullcrap that brown eyes mean someone is less 'nordish'. Brown eyes on a Germanic/Nordic person doesn't mean that person is less Germanic/Nordic - there's just a higher chance (luck of the draw) that blue eyes will occur in people of Germanic/Nordic peoples.

Let's not get started on misconceptions, Hors.

Last Online
    11-01-2009 @ 11:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Ontario
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jägerzen View Post
    It's complete bullcrap that brown eyes mean someone is less 'nordish'. Brown eyes on a Germanic/Nordic person doesn't mean that person is less Germanic/Nordic - there's just a higher chance (luck of the draw) that blue eyes will occur in people of Germanic/Nordic peoples.

Let's not get started on misconceptions, Hors.
    Well stated, and to use my mother as an example; her father, an Ulster-Scot, had blue eyes while her mother, a Colonial of Welsh, English, and German ancestry, had brown. Both my mother and her sister have bright blue eyes, despite a brown-eyed parent. Any logic which asserts that she, or anyone in her family, have fallen out of the Germanic/Nordish/Nordic (whichever term you prefer) spectrum over some random genetic variation is laughable.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

I'm actually inclined to agree with Hors here, since he's specifically using the term Nordish, not Nordic, Germanic, or anything else. From the SNPA's glossary:

Nordish
    Northern European Europid para-group of Cro-Magnids and Nordids, all mostly tall-statured and depigmented, and cohabitant in relative intermixture. Not primarily a phylogenetic entity.
    This is a specifically morphological term and not a cultural or ethnic one.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information