Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Rank from most to least valuable England's following contributions to the world

Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I said I wish we could do away with the Latin influence in daily English. I prefer Anglo-Saxon English vocabulary to Latin vocabulary. I like Germanic language and not Latin language, and especially not more recent Latin influence that doesn't fit with the rhythm of English. In truth much of the Norman French influence in English has been so Anglicised for so long that it flows naturally in the language, and I don't mind it. Middle English is lovely, if we could even get closer towards that it would be better.

Spanish are always at pains to point out that they have almost no Moorish influence (even when nobody asked the question), and delight in the idea that you completely drove out/exterminated the Muslims, and thus have no Moorish heritage as a result. There's a great deal of insecurity about it and it's obvious to everyone.

It means having a chip on one's shoulder, being constantly butthurt for some reason. A very annoying trait.
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...english/chippy

Yes you are. On the contrary I respect the Norman influence in Britain & Ireland and wouldn't downplay its obvious historical effect (Spanish would die to have Norman influence over Moor), I only prefer Old English vocab and dislike the mongrelisation of it with too many Latin root words.

Stop talking about delusions and myths for idiots like that there is an influence of Arabic in Spanish. Take a random newspaper article in Spanish and find out how many words of Arabic origin there are. You probably won't find any.

https://elpais.com/

Influence is that it significantly influences language, not a handful of words for vegetables or ornamental utensils.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,020
    Given: 6,622

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gredos View Post
    Stop talking about delusions and myths for idiots like that there is an influence of Arabic in Spanish. Take a random newspaper article in Spanish and find out how many words of Arabic origin there are. You probably won't find any.

https://elpais.com/

Influence is that it significantly influences language, not a handful of words for vegetables or ornamental utensils.
    My reply was to gixajo's rich comment about me wanting to manipulate, change or deny history because 'I don't like it', in light of Spanish people's fraught relationship with Moorish/Arabic heritage - cultural, historical and genetic. I don't give a stuff about the subject nor do I care whether Spaniards want to try to bury or celebrate it, it's their prerogative.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information