Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by All-In View Post
    not sure if that is a good/healthy method though
    I have posted a few links here already. Do some research.
    I've always felt good while doing it. Hunger goes away by day three.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Man fasts for 382 days and loses 276 pounds!
    A 27-year-old male patient fasted under supervisionfor 382 days and has subsequently maintained hisnormal weight. Blood glucose concentrations around 30 mg/100 ml were recorded consistently during thelast 8 months, although the patient was ambulant andattending as an out-patient. Responses to glucose and tolbutamide tolerance tests remained normal. The hyperglycaemic response to glucagon was reduced andlatterly absent, but promptly returned to normal duringcarbohydrate refeeding. After an initial decrease was corrected, plasma potassium levels remained normal without supplementation. A temporary period ofhypercalcaemia occurred towards the end of the fast.Decreased plasma magnesium concentrations were a consistent feature from the first month onwards. After 100 days of fasting there was a marked and persistent
    increase in the excretion of urinary cations and inorganic phosphate, which until then had been minimal.These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive
    soft tissue and skeletal mass. Prolonged fasting in this patient had no ill-effects.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00315-0056.pdf

Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,755
    Given: 8,726

0 Not allowed!

Fasting is the worst way of loosing weight. I have doctors in my relatives and they all said that fasting isn't a solution.
    The best way is to change your eating habits and do some sports.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
    Fasting is the worst way of loosing weight. I have doctors in my relatives and they all said that fasting isn't a solution.
    The best way is to change your eating habits and do some sports.
    Why are all the new studies saying the opposite?
    For decades, the low fat, high carb diet was advocated by all the experts and look what happened with that.

The human body has adapted to go for long periods without eating.
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...t-facts-first/

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Fasting makes you age slower

You might age slower – the latest research into how and why we age identifies a pathway called mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) as a key controller of the energy production process in the cell. In their 2013 Nature paper, Johnson et al. show that reducing mTOR pathway activation slows ageing. A second pathway which has the opposite effect is through AMPK (AMP-activated protein kinase). AMPK keeps cells healthy through a self-maintenance program, and helps them die when they should die (programmed cell death). mTOR is anabolic (growth) and AMPK is catabolic (breakdown and repair).

We need both anabolic and catabolic states for health. But the problem is the growth (anabolic) phase ages us, and the modern high-carb diet never allows us to get back to the catabolic state. Fasting and LCHF allows you to reach that catabolic state again. Your body has the right signals to preserve and repair cells, and kill off the ones that are past their use-by-date. The high-carb diet drives constant growth signals that result in cell damage without taking stock and repairing the damage. This is ageing.

Johnson, SC, Rabinovitch, PS & Kaeberlein, M (2013). mTOR is a key modulator of ageing and age-related disease. Nature, 493, 338–345.

If you have enough body fat you can fast for a very long time. The world record for a supervised therapeutic fast is 382 days. It was set by a Scotsman in the 1960s. Here’s some interesting extracts from “Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days’ duration”, published as a case report in the obscure Postgraduate Medical Journal (1973) 49, 203-209
    “Patient A.B. aged 27 years, weighed on admission 456 lb (207kg). During the 382 days of his fast, vitamin supplements were given daily as’Multivite’, vitamin C and yeast for the first 10 months”
    Results: Body weight loss
    “During the 382 days of the fast, the patient’s weight decreased from 456 to 180 lb. Five years after undertaking the fast, Mr A.B.’s weight remains around 196 lb. “
    In discussing the extremely low blood glucose levels…”Despite the hypoglycaemia the patient remained symptom-free, felt well and walked about normally.”

So there’s your interesting fact for the day! Fasting, despite the fact that a few years back I would have openly ridiculed people who fasted as fringe nutcases, if you haven’t fasted then it’s worth a crack and probably quite good for your brain and body. You’ll at least learn a thing or two about your own physiology while you are self-experimenting.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-03-2023 @ 02:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Alevi Kurdish
    Ancestry
    Tunceli/Dersim - Turkey
    Country
    Samoa
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    something with E
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Med + Taurid (The Blade , Cybernautic , Eggyolk, Pribislav ,Commonsense,Kimbo)
    Politics
    ***! SALUTE TO THE WEST ASIAN RACE ! ***
    Hero
    my mom and siblings
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,515
    Given: 15,680

0 Not allowed!

hide this thread from mary before she really starves herself to death

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by All-In View Post
    hide this thread from mary before she really starves herself to death
    I considered making a joke that this made me more hardcore than Mary, but I realize that would probably be in poor taste.

is just really nice
    Last Online
    07-05-2020 @ 02:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,435
    Given: 793

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Etain View Post
    It's been becoming more popular over the last few years now that the slowing down metabolism and "starvation mode" myths have been debunked.
    More than just for weight loss, it's been successful in helping to treat diabetes and other things.
    I am currently on day 1 of what I hope is a 5 day fast. I find after the second day, you don't even want to eat anyways. And your mind is soo clear. I predict I will lose at least 4 pounds,most of it will be glycogen and water, but about a pound of fat as well. Need to start somewhere.
    Anyone else tried it?
    Your organism already stored enough "food" for month(s) ahead, so you have illusion you do not want to eat. However once your fasting period is over organism would want to fill "empty" spaces again, because organism already got used to those conditions. There is no recipe to lose weight immediately, it can only be down slowly with enough dedication and selfdiscipline.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    Your organism already stored enough "food" for month(s) ahead, so you have illusion you do not want to eat. However once your fasting period is over organism would want to fill "empty" spaces again, because organism already got used to those conditions. There is no recipe to lose weight immediately, it can only be down slowly with enough dedication and selfdiscipline.
    I would say it's the opposite actually. We eat in more frequently and in larger amounts than we need to.
    People think they are hungry, but it's more a mental thing. They're bored, just want to eat, etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

0 Not allowed!

These people don't really know as much as me about fasting, don't listen to them. I went 96 hours with nothing but water. You get tremendously hungry the 1st day then it tapers off and it's not so unbearable anymore. I have a cousin who claims to have done a 1 ½ week full fast (not intermittent).

The body burns through body-fat first, then once the adipose stores are depleted it quickly breaks down (catabolizes) muscle for energy. But even in the beginning muscle is being broken down at a 2:1 ratio alongside fat (can't find the study but it's there) so you don't just lose fat but also some lean body mass.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information