Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spirit Animals?

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I believe my fetch to be a raven. Sometimes they're solitary but happy in a close unit. Messengers between the world, when I see a pair of them I immediately think of Hugin and Munin - thought and memory.

I've had other animals appear in my life at various times, including a kangaroo at a local zoo who gripped my wrist while I was feeding it, as much to say "I want to connect with you while you're feeding me." It was a rather profound moment. Birds of various sorts often appear in our yard and at different times I am able to hand feed the king parrots. I've always also had strong connections with cats, as I like their independence.

Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    Barbarians the Romans couldn't handle
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Tradition and improvisation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

There was a time when I thought if I had a spirit animal it was a heron. I once followed one up a narrow sacred gorge. Now I realize it is the heron of forgetfulness that accompanies me on pubcrawls.

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    Can you find me stuff about the Elk in Finnish religion that's in English?
    There is no elk in Finland. Only moose.

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by la bombe View Post
    So I know animal spirits/totems play an important role in Native American spirituality, but is the concept found elsewhere as well? If so, what's their importance?

In the shamanic traditions I'm aware of, people have 4 or 5 spirit animals, and not all share the same purpose. Some are messengers, some are guides, etc but I think their role depends on the individual tradition.

From what I understand, dreams are one of the most important ways of finding them. They often manifest themselves in dreams, and I believe dreams where you yourself are characterized by an animal are especially important. There's also personal connection (animals you're particularly drawn to or feel a special connection with, be it positive or negative), meditation and hallucinogenic drugs that facilitate religious experiences. I've heard of so many people that have taken psychoactive drugs and during their high they "transformed" into an animal.

Does anyone here know of one or more of their spirit animals? I once tried a meditative method and came up with a crow and after thinking about this and discussing it with others for the past few days, I've started to have animal dreams. One that's come up multiple times is a snake, which is understandable to me because I've always liked snakes and felt particularly connected with them.
    In the pre-christian Norse and Finno Ugrian systems of belief, shamanism was a central thing and animals were spiritually connected with people.

I'll try to dig up some further sources.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2013 @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92

0 Not allowed!

The Dacians believed they were descendents of wolves, hence their name (daos = wolf) and their banner:

But before that they used a bear's head on their banner, so there are reasons to believe the bear held an important role.
    [SPOILER=La fîntînă la mocrină][YOUTUBE]ecSLcemo3dI[/YOUTUBE][/SPOILER]

Mystic Oracle of Nordicist Purity ikki's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-27-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aldebaran
    Ethnicity
    Finnswede
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

most certainly the hooded crow.
    Ask a kid what a bird sounds like, and theyll tell you (usually) pipipi

Me tho.. kra-kra!

Evidently my parents had a ton of fun with that when i was lilttle. Along with crawling on all four (not knees!), and backwards only.

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daos View Post
    The Dacians believed they were descendents of wolves, hence their name (daos = wolf) and their banner:
    I dreamt of a wolf last night, and it seems to be a fairly common image in the dreams of my friends as well. They definitely seem to be an important archetypal symbol at least.
    Jagerstaffel: Where's [la bombe]?
    Jagerstaffel: I gotta send that bitch some shit in a box.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Athlete
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z58
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Politics
    Would not call myself pro-semitic
    Hero
    Jozef Tiso
    Religion
    Catholic Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,888
    Given: 16,895

0 Not allowed!

Jesaja 11,6–9

6 uThe wolf shall dwell with the lamb,

and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat,

and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together;

and a little child shall lead them.

7 The cow and the bear shall graze;

their young shall lie down together;

and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8 The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra,

and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder’s den.

9 uThey shall not hurt or destroy

in all vmy holy mountain;

wfor the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord

as the waters cover the sea.

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,095
    Given: 24,273

1 Not allowed!

My hypothesis is spirit animals represent the same archetypes that in other cultures are represented by various dieties and gods, which is why only cultures who live close to nature have a concept of 'spirit animals'. Unless you live a similar lifestyle, those archetypes are more likely to take the form of a character from your favourite TV show than any animal. As to what their purpose is, it's a pretty large topic but to summarise it would be similar to the 'purpose' of the gods, angels, and mythical heroes of other cultures.

In Native American traditions, a shaman would "spirit walk" to retrieve a person's lost spirit. Or help them discover a spirit animal to foster and develop a mind (a heart), it's supposed to be a spiritual conjunction between you and your spirit animal. As we might say, "they have the heart of a lion". Why we don't call it a heart animal is simply a misnomer. Today, spirit and soul are used interchangeably.

Quote Originally Posted by la bombe View Post
    So I know animal spirits/totems play an important role in Native American spirituality, but is the concept found elsewhere as well? If so, what's their importance?
    Ghost dogs have long played a role in Northern European mythology and folklore. Sightings of so-called werewolves could simply be ghost dogs. The Eastern myths say they were cursed by some spirit to become werewolves instead of bitten by one. Satanists believe fully embracing one's animal side and rejecting morality is good, but I doubt that's always the case with werewolves. The Orthodox still have dog-headed saints (Saint Christopher), so they obviously couldn't have been anything like satanists. There's also the fact the Nazis named much of their stuff after wolves.

England itself has a long history of burying a dog's bones in the northern grounds of a churchyard. The idea behind this, is that the first corpse buried within a church's graveyard would become a sort of guardian spirit. Instead of binding a human's soul in such a way, the church would bury a dog. This is obviously a hold over from pagan times, while a specific example of this has yet to be found from the pagan times, the idea and methodology certainly ring of a more primal faith than the Christian one.

Native American meanings for frog for instance have commonalities with Celtic symbolism. This medicine animal brings rain and can heal. In one example of folk traditions, shamans used frogs for curing coughs. The shaman would put a frog in an ailing person’s mouth, recite sacred words, then command the frog to "hop away" with the sickness (this is a type of disease transference). That is how we come by the phrase, "a frog in my throat."

Other Native American meanings for frog spirit include fertility, prosperity, rebirth and growth. Tribes that have frog clans include Zuni, Tlingit, Creek and Chippewa.

Far Eastern symbolism depict the frog as a feminine spirit (yin). In both China and Japan frog brings prosperity and good luck. Stories tell us that the Money Toad of China (Jin Chan) was the favoured pet for the God of Wealth. In Feng Shui the best placement for frog figurines at home is near the front door where they can welcome positive chi and wealth.

People in Japan often don frog amulets for fortune or safety in travel.

In Asian cultures it is believed that a frog's croaking brings the rain so they are associated with crop growth and good harvests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information