"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Melatonin, The Dream Hormone

Melatonin, The Dream Hormone

Richard Holmes
    January 2005

Background & biology

Melatonin is a hormone which is produced naturally in the human body by the pineal gland, which is situated near the middle of the head and is about the size of a pea. The pineal gland was originally thought to be a "vestigial" gland with no function, and it was only in the 1960s that its purpose began to be discovered by western science. Melatonin is the most effective anti-oxidant at work in the human body and is also thought to play a significant role in regulating natural cycles within the body. Output is nocturnal, starting sometime between 9pm and the individual's bed time and continues until about 6am.

Melatonin with respect to dreaming and mysticism

Many people have reported that when taking melatonin supplements, their dreams gradually become more colourful, more vivid, and hence easier to remember. This effect ties in with the Yoga teaching that the pineal gland is the seat of the mystical "third eye" or brow chakra - the source of mystical visions and perception. And mysticism and vivid dreaming very much go hand in hand.

My experiences with Melatonin

After I read a lot of stuff on the internet about melatonin, I thought I just had to try it. I took about ten over a ten-day period, taking each pill an hour or so before going to sleep. After a few days I noticed that I had a very slight ache in the middle of my head. I'm not sure what this was due to, but as I've heard that the pineal gland can start to underfunction as you get older, I hoped that it was the gland "waking up" again. To try to maximise effects, I concentrated on this point in my head to try to maximise blood-flow. Also at the same time I was trying a bit of inversion to maximise blood flow to the head as well.
    It's a while ago now, but towards the end of the ten days, I did notice that my dreams were becoming much easier to remember. But the most interesting experience was that one night while sleeping I found myself walking around in a very dark room with dark wooden furniture. This was only a momentary impression, but the clarity of the furniture was so startling (in comparison to my usual dreaming) that I immediately thought "this is just way too clear for a dream" and promptly snapped out of it and found myself back in my bedroom - but paralysed inside my sleeping body. Anyone who has had this waking paralysis will know that it's not a very nice feeling. I could vaguely feel my discomfort as I lay in bed, but couldn't see or hear a thing. Luckily the alarm clock went off almost immediately, which woke me right up. But as far as the dream went I have never before or since had such a vivid dream.

Increasing melatonin levels via Yoga, Tantra, TM, etc

Meditation has been shown in studies at Adelaide University to significantly increase output of melatonin. This is true of Transcendental Meditation and also other forms of meditation.
    Also candle-gazing, the Tantric practice of tratak, and various Yoga techniques are good ways of generating higher melatonin levels.

I have personally tried candle-gazing 10 minutes before going to bed and over a number of nights, it definitely seems to make a big difference to dream content - though it seems to be essential to clear your mind completely of thoughts over those 10 minutes. (I just need to do it a lot more regularly.)

Increasing melatonin levels via dietary means
    Various foods contain small amounts of melatonin and this can make a difference. However these foods should be eaten in the evening as melatonin is mostly flushed from the system within an hour of entering the bloodstream.
    Oats
    Sweet corn
    Tomatoes
    Bananas
    Ginger
    Barley

Increasing your levels of melatonin artificially
    You can simply take a melatonin pill every night before bed, but many medical professionals warn that no studies have been made of the effects of taking this hormone long-term, so this is a potentially risky idea. (Note that in Australia and New Zealand, melatonin is available by prescription only.)

Factors inhibiting melatonin output
    Because melatonin relies on darkness and sleep to activate production, staying up late or trying to sleep with bright lights on will inhibit production. Also heavy work late at night before the onset of sleep is said to be detrimental to melatonin output.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

But the most interesting experience was that one night while sleeping I found myself walking around in a very dark room with dark wooden furniture. This was only a momentary impression, but the clarity of the furniture was so startling (in comparison to my usual dreaming) that I immediately thought "this is just way too clear for a dream" and promptly snapped out of it and found myself back in my bedroom
    I have had dreams of such extreme clarity all my life, that to hear of some "virgin" explaining his experiences is amusing.

The only problem I face is my lack of strength in controlling the dreams.
    For the life of me, the dream will not take the route I wish it to. Instead, it takes me upon such aspects of my past, present and future that I often wake up in either deep depressions or glorious elation.

...but paralysed inside my sleeping body.
    ..or in my case, a sense of being attacked by an immense evil presence.
    Last edited by Beorn; 02-03-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: .

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

..or in my case, a sense of being attacked by an immense evil presence.
    Interesting, if you're referring to night terrors, I have plenty of experience with that!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trefelin View Post
    Interesting, if you're referring to night terrors, I have plenty of experience with that!
    A night terror, also known as pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder characterized by extreme terror and a temporary inability to regain full consciousness. The subject wakes abruptly from slow-wave sleep, with waking usually accompanied by gasping, moaning, or screaming. It is often impossible to fully awaken the person, and after the episode the subject normally settles back to sleep without waking. A night terror can rarely be recalled by the subject. They typically occur during non-rapid eye movement sleep.
    I suppose it might well be. I have to be honest and say I had never thought of them that way.
    The last powerful one was when I was twenty. I awoke to see the morning light just creeping through the darkness, but also to a darkened shadow of half a man looming over me from out of my window/curtains.

I couldn't move. The "being" had no discernible parts of its body upon me, holding me down, but just stayed there looking at me.

I tried everything to move, scream, etc.., but nothing would release me from the moment.

After a while I noticed the shadow had gone and I screamed out in absolute fear. The first time being able to do so.

I had always put it down to "other" aspects of me, but you mentioning night terrors brings reasoning to this.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

^Sounds familiar

Scared the holy s*** out of me.

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trefelin View Post
    I used to have night terrors, and I've since resolved those areas of my life which caused them.

Needless to say, it was a horrible experience!

Thread Information