Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    Well, the civilization that sent the Message would be mere upstarts, somewhere between Levels 2 and 3.

However, the postcript of the book by Carl Sagan makes references to two other civilizations, that the civilization that sent the Message were aware of: the builders of the wormhole system, definitely at least Level 3, possibly beyond; and the creator(s) of the universe itself, obviously Level 6-7.
    I want to be born again in some 100.000 years and see some aliens, visit them in some neighboring galaxy, get wasted with them and taste alien chicks

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Stygian Cellarius
    So we can assume that it takes intelligent life about 4 billion years to develop Type 0 technology.
    Could be a bit to Newtonian in method, if a certain event hadn’t happened in the Yucatan 65 million years ago…..intelligence may well have arrived sooner, intelligence is the important part not that it arose in sex obsessed monkeys who threw rocks at monkeys in the other tree.

Of course that’s assuming such things as asteroid impacts are entirely random, some speculate they occur reasonably often and a bigey is due well sometime in the next couple of centuries……..maybe cockroaches will build ships and expand into the universe.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Banned
    Last Online
    04-17-2012 @ 01:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Serbia, Montenegro, Hungary
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    ……..maybe cockroaches will build ships and expand into the universe.
    Something like this ?

Banned
    Last Online
    06-22-2020 @ 07:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    Beira Alta e Douro
    Country
    Portugal
    Region
    Asturias
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36858
    mtDNA
    H20
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Atlantomed + CM
    Hero
    old village folk
    Relationship Status
    In a civil union
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,263
    Given: 5,005

0 Not allowed!

I want to play Starcraft II now.

Hyperautodidact Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-06-2023 @ 02:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Cosmic Perspective
    Religion
    Possibility Hierarchy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Default Civilization Types II

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian Cellarius
    So we can assume that it takes intelligent life about 4 billion years to develop Type 0 technology.
    Could be a bit to Newtonian in method, if a certain event hadn’t happened in the Yucatan 65 million years ago…..intelligence may well have arrived sooner, intelligence is the important part not that it arose in sex obsessed monkeys who threw rocks at monkeys in the other tree.
    Okay, that puts us at ~3.935 Billion years, plus consciousness/type-0 tech development time. Which at its earliest, lands us still at about 4 Billion years. This little exercise only strengthens my assumption in a ~4 Billion year cycle for the development of consciousness and consequently, culture.

Of course that’s assuming such things as asteroid impacts are entirely random, some speculate they occur reasonably often and a bigey is due well sometime in the next couple of centuries
    I would guess that it's largely dependent on the location of Gas Giants and a star-systems asteroid belt relative to the bioplanet. I would also guess that there is much diversity of arrangement. With chance-arrangement being thrown off a little by different probabilities of say, Gas giants forming in the middle and outer star-system due to gravity and the laws of physics, i.a.

……..maybe cockroaches will build ships and expand into the universe.
    Cockroaches occupy an optimum evolutionary station, thus obviating further modification and decreasing their probability of significant developments.
    Last edited by Stygian Cellarius; 11-05-2010 at 01:24 AM.
    yDNA: R1a1a1, mtDNA: H4a1
    Principle: No post of mine will be augmented with information external to myself (excluding links to previously understood knowledge). I will not search for any new information prior to, and associated with, a particular post.

My goal in life is to understand the world I live in. Philosophy alone is no good unless it is anchored to reality. To do that requires an understanding of science (space) and history (time). Philosophy+science+history=The complete epistemological package.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Stygian Cellarius
    Okay, that puts us at ~3.935 Billion years, plus consciousness/type-0 tech development time. Which at its earliest, lands us still at about 4 Billion years. This little exercise only strengthens my assumption in a ~4 Billion year cycle for the development of consciousness and consequently, culture.
    Well it didn’t necessarily have to be dinosaurs, intelligence does seem convergent, depending of course on what your criteria for “intelligence” is but surely it is a universal and not parochial. For all we actually know a race of dinosaurs developed the ability to travel off earth before they were obliterated, it is 99.999999999999999999999999% certain that this didn’t happen but we can’t say with certainty how many times intelligence has arisen on the earth. Humans, after all, are here by chance, life seems to have an “arrow” towards more complex forms of life (so intelligence of some kind may well be almost guaranteed) but if it wasn’t humans here presumably it would be something else.

I appreciate the method and, given what we actually know, it is reasonable, but I wonder if we are sometimes slipping to easily into assumption about how life develops and “when” certain aspects turn up.

I would guess that it's largely dependent on the location of Gas Giants and a star-systems asteroid belt relative to the bioplanet. I would also guess that there is much diversity of arrangement. With chance-arrangement being thrown off a little by different probabilities of say, Gas giants forming in the middle and outer star-system due to gravity and the laws of physics, i.a.
    It has been estimated that it takes roughly 3 million years for a comet to move out of the Ooort cloud and into the Sol system, roughly every 100,000 years one of these enters an earth crossing orbit with an associated asteroid stream about once every millennium.

Cockroaches occupy an optimum evolutionary station, thus obviating further modification and decreasing their probability of significant developments.
    That’s probably so….at present, cockroaches were just an example, but if the environment undergoes significant changes due to warming or the planet being smacked by a ten mile wide rock who knows what conditions might prevail and what will suddenly come into its element? Chances are it will still be us here anyway, humans are incredibly adaptive, by 2200 what passes for “human” will probably be far removed from what we know. We're fast moving away from slow evolution and extelligence will mean more to humanity than intelligence in the future.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information