View Poll Results: Which state supported South Africa the strongest during the apartheid era?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • United States

4 13.79%
  • United Kingdom

4 13.79%
  • Israel

21 72.41%
  • Taiwan

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who was South Africa's best friend during the apartheid era?

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    You follow yours...I follow none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,676
    Given: 12,354

0 Not allowed!

Given that Nelson Mandela, the figurehead for the dissolution of the Apartheid state, has often spoke out against the Israeli treatment of the Palestinians, and gone as far as to compare the current situation there to the Apartheid era, my guess is going to be Israel.

Loki's post confirmed it, even as I was writing this. I am not surprised, and rather saddened, truth be told.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-09-2012 @ 05:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic
    Ethnicity
    british isles,germany
    Ancestry
    british isles,germany
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Queensland
    Religion
    transvestitism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McCarthy View Post
    I simply express my views like others do. But pointing out inconsistencies and absurdities in the fringe mindset is part of my effort to destroy it. Anyway, re: your anti-capitalist rant: it wasn't the dirty capitalists that pressured to end apartheid, but the dirty communists, and the dirty capitalists were the only ones protecting apartheid from the dirty communists, which the dirty communists made note of constantly. Finally, after intense pressure from the dirty communists it became unprofitable for the dirty capitalists to continue supporting apartheid, and there it ended.
    I highly doubt that someone with as much time on his hands as you is a "capitalist".

Banned
    Last Online
    07-23-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by byrnecres View Post
    Given that Nelson Mandela, the figurehead for the dissolution of the Apartheid state, has often spoke out against the Israeli treatment of the Palestinians, and gone as far as to compare the current situation there to the Apartheid era, my guess is going to be Israel.

Loki's post confirmed it, even as I was writing this. I am not surprised, and rather saddened, truth be told.
    Israel can be argued. Or even Spain, Portugal, and Taiwan. None of these states had the clout to protect South Africa from the Communist-Third World onslaught though. Only the UK and US did, and they often did so with UN vetoes.

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    http://archives.cbc.ca/politics/inte...cs/topics/703/

CBC archives about Canadian-South African relations during the apartheid era. They were up on the CBC main page during the World Cup and I listened to it all then... very interesting listen. (Warning, literally HOURS of stuff - I spent a whole work day listening - while doing my work, of course).
    I'm bumping this. Did anyone listen?

There are some parts where the South Africans launched an attack over Canada's treatment of the First Nations. There was particularly one woman. She was a foreign minister type person and she toured a reserve. I wonder if she is still alive, and what she would think about the Attawapiskat Crisis?

Actually, I'd be interested in what thoughts white South Africans would have about this crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attawapiskat_First_Nation

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/charlie...0.html#s487209

It's an interesting bit for sure. The Gaelic speakers around here have a saying that you judge other people on your own morality. One Gaelic man I worked with came to the conclusion that I used to drink underage when he heard me say that a bunch of teenagers hanging out in the woods must be drinking. He was right, I took my first drink when I was 15, at that exact same spot where those teens were headed. The same logic could be applied to John Diefenbaker.

If you go into the nitty gritty of the Canada-South Africa tensions, it doesn't matter if you're for or against apartheid, it's hard not to see hypocrisy. Still, I have witnessed white Canadians treat white South African ex-pats like crap. I was once temp banned from leaving comments on a news site, for defending a young man who was killed when struck by lightning in Canada, someone said he "God gave him what he deserved" because of that. He was only 22.
    Last edited by Grumpy Cat; 01-13-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information