Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the most important languages today globally?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default What are the most important languages today globally?

English is number one obviously but is the other Spanish or Chinese or German?

I'm thinking Spanish second only because it has so many speakers in so many nations but economically obviously it isn't critical globally.

I put Chinese and German there due to their economies but I don't know many people who know German or Chinese and yet they seem to do international business fine just knowing English.

I know French is meaningless along with Italian but I am curious as to Russian and if it could become more important if Russia returns from the shadow.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

There is only one possible answer: Pǔtōnghuŕ.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Spanish, besides English.

As for how important Chinese really is, I don't know. I guess it's fairly important, and its importance will grow.

German is important only if you intend to do business in German-speaking Europe.

And the importance of Russian will decrease even further in the future.

Last Online
    02-14-2015 @ 01:48 PM
    The true West Europe, Core of the Atlantic Facade.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtibero, Old Westerner, Atlantic Facade and 100% pure Iberian.
    Ethnicity
    Cantabri, Tierruca.
    Ancestry
    Mother Spain, father Spain ect....Until the first amoeba.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Conquistador 100% Pure Iberian
    Politics
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Religion
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,607
    Given: 3,171

0 Not allowed!

I think the Spanish is the second because is increasing in number in the U.S.

Espada tengo. Lo demás, Dios lo remedie.

In the west almost all Spain had been subjugated, except that part which adjoins the cliffs where the Pyrenees end and is washed by the nearer waters of the ocean. Here two powerful nations, the Cantabrians and the Asturians, lived in freedom from the rule of Rome.")
    — Lucius Anneus Florus , Epitome de T. Livio Bellorum omnium annorum DCC Libri duo Bellum Cantabricum et Asturicum

Ethnicity of the Celts/Iberian. Tribes: Avariginos, Blendi, Concanos, Coniscos, Orgenomescos, Plentusios, Tamáricos and Vadinienses.--->http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...40#post3047240

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Can 'Chinese' really be listed when all the different forms of spoken Chinese aren't mutually intelligible? I suppose I'd reiterate Psychonaut's choice of Standard Mandarin and include English. I don't know to what degree Spanish is used in global commerce, so I can't comment on that.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wynfrith View Post
    Can 'Chinese' really be listed when all the different forms of spoken Chinese aren't mutually intelligible? I suppose I'd reiterate Psychonaut's choice of Standard Mandarin and include English.
    Well whenever this topic comes up, and people mention "Chinese", that's the form of Chinese I always assume they're talking about.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    Well whenever this topic comes up, and people mention "Chinese", that's the form of Chinese I always assume they're talking about.
    Yeah, even us Chinese linguists don't usually single out Mandarin unless we're talking about some situation that might potentially involve some of the other Chinese dialects. Even though Wúyǔ is the second most commonly spoken Chinese language, no one would think to place it alongside Pǔtōnghuŕ in terms of potential global influence (no one except some pompous Shanghai aristocrat).

Lustrando. En paciente espera.
    Last Online
    10-11-2011 @ 01:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtíbero con sazón Visigoda Toledana
    Ethnicity
    Castellano y Espańol.
    Ancestry
    Cristianos Viejos Ranciosos.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Religion
    La Sangre.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

0 Not allowed!

1.- English.

2.- Castellano.

3.- 汉语/漢語.
    Antes de subir al cadalso, Juan de Padilla se dirigió a su camarada Juan Bravo con unas célebres palabras: "Seńor Bravo: ayer era día de pelear como caballero...hoy es día de morir como cristiano". Ante esto, Juan Bravo pidió ser ejecutado antes que Padilla, "…para no ver la muerte de tan buen caballero". Horas más tarde, también fue ejecutado y decapitado el salmantino Francisco Maldonado.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

First of all, define 'important'. A language that's important for me is not important for you, and vice versa.

At a global scale, let us be frank, there is only ONE language that is relevant in most fields related to global relationships, and that's the one I'm writing now in.

Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Hindostani... they are languages with a significant number of speakers but strongly attached to specific areas of the world. Their relevance becomes weaker and weaker the more we leave those areas.

French is the only language that, like English, got to be really transcontinental, although its grandeur is gone decades ago and, out of their native territories, its relevance has mainly reduced to Africa. Only the insistence of French speakers in not recognizing this fact has maintained the language in diplomatic spheres.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

English, American Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese are the dominant tongues on the planet; this is indisputable.

Most important, though? Well, I have long agreed with Martin Heidegger that German and Greek are the two languages best given to the discussion of philosophical truth because of their ability to express abstract concepts and the reality that is difficult to reach sensually. These therefore rank very high for the higher castes of men.

However, with the West on the way out, the two most important languages to understand are probably Russian and Arabic, since these are the two chief possibilities for the inheritors to our High Culture.

Resistance to the Mohammedan incursion from the Coloured World would best be facilitated by our ability to infiltrate and destroy them, which is impossible so long as we collectively lack even so much as a primitive understanding of Arabic. "How to Recognise the Enemy and his Culture" courses for the public in which Arabic and Farsi are taught may be prudent to keep them from overwhelming the Occident before we can enter our age of Caesarism.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information