Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default The (Old) Book Thing

Inspired by Styg's and The Wagnerian's posts in the Today I...thread, I thought I'd start this one in an effort to pool our resources a bit more tightly perhaps for those of us who are on the lookout for certain books or would like to share with others what notable additions they have recently acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian Cellarius
    The Book Thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today I...

Woke up early.
    Went to The Book Thing, a warehouse that gives away books every weekend. During the week they get all kinds of book from Libraries, Schools, private collections, etc. and open the doors at 9am for their loyal customers (like me who are waiting outside for them to open).

I just discovered this little Heaven in Baltimore and have walked away with an average of 60 books each weekend (4 weekends total so far). They always have the classics; Divine Comedy, The Decameron, Canterbury Tales, Song of Roland, Iliad, Aeneid, The Odyssey, Beowulf, and they always have lots of Euripides/Sophocles/Aeschylus etc. They also always have a nice philosophy collection. This week I picked up an old, hardback version of Thus Spake Zarathustra, some Kierkegaard, Heidegger, almost all of Camus's works, about half of Marcuse's works, some J.S. Mill, Descartes, Bacon, More, and some others. They always have lots of Plato and Aristotle.

Last week I picked up a nice old, Hardback version of Aku-Aku by Thor Heyerdhal and Genetics and the Races of Man by Boyd.

Anyways, even if I have a great classic in my own collection already, if I see another, I grab it. One reason is because I collect different translations and another is because I imagine a hypothetical future in which I meet a person who likes the same stuff as me. Then I will give them my doubles.

For those that like the classics or philosophy, I wouldn't be oppose to either keeping an eye out for something you may want or sending you a copy of something I currently possess two of. I get so many books for free that the least I can do is give some away.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wagnerian
    Today I obtained all 36 volumes of Wolfgang von Goethe's Sämtliche Werke for $95! I'm extremely excited with them, they're beautiful. They retail at around $25-$35 per volume, so to get the whole set for this price is wonderful.

In addition, they're beautifully bound and are published after the 1893 edition, so they're the same edition that Spengler owned (though I imagine a different printing). I'm a little miffed that a previous owner marked up the interior of one volume with ink taking notes - I hate it when people mark books like that. The rest of them are in pristine condition, however, and for this price who can complain?

I too like acquiring older books. It love their smell and feel and their look. I cannot NOT go into a used bookstore and just browse it seems.

So far I've acquired the following:

A 1925 edition of John Ruskin's Sesame and Lilies and The Ethics of the Dust in one bound volume. I started reading the Ethics just a few nights ago and love it! It is in fabulous condition and still even has its red silk bookmark, although detached but still pretty and useful.

A 1954 reprint of the 1924 edition of Methuen's English Classics, Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe.

The 1906 edition of E. V. Lucas' A Wanderer in Holland, complete with "20 illustrations in colour by Herbert Marshall and 34 illustrations after old Dutch masters." It too is in gorgeous condition.

A 1907 third impression of English Songs and Ballads compiled by T. W. H. Crosland, as well in great condition. (Stop coveting my stuff Ossi, Beornie and Wynfrith! )

And most recently I acquired the final volume of Will and Ariel Durant's The Story of Civilization X: Rousseau and Revolution, first printing 1967, complete with dust jacket too.

Now my challenge is to find the rest of this series!!

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Aemma; 11-17-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Det Nordiske Rĺd™approved Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,671
    Given: 6,724

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up Will and Ariel Durant's "The Story of Civilization"

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post

an addiction to physical books
    developed in my formative years
    (so much pleasure in a special form).

these titles may be conveniently referenced on-line:

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

I too like acquiring older books. It love their smell and feel and their look.
    It should be noted that Aemma has professed a love for the smell of books which may or may not have been read by people whilst sitting on the toilet.

I prefer to buy them fresh off the press myself, Aems

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,126

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    It should be noted that Aemma has professed a love for the smell of books which may or may not have been read by people whilst sitting on the toilet.

I prefer to buy them fresh off the press myself, Aems
    British Lavatory Humour.

Don't phone me after 10 pm Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Politics
    UKIP
    Hero
    Ironman
    Religion
    Scrap metal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

0 Not allowed!

"Busman's view" by C, R, Wason. published by Ruskin house, George Allen & unwin LTD. Museum street, London. first published in 1958.

This book once belonged to my wifes father, it is in my library, picking it up and indeed smelling it made me come out in goosebumps, the book like myself was made in 1958.
    Mrs Germanicus's father was a Trolley bus driver in the 50s and 60s in the city of Bradford, he was a collector of books, he had a vast library so i am told.
    Most of his old books are neatly stored in a spare bedroom in my house, having the time to read them will take me years, all of the books are in a fine condition.

This evening i looked in Amazon to see if it had "Busmans view" it did not!
    Have you noticed that if you rearrange the letters in ‘illegal immigrants’, and add just a few more letters, it spells, ‘Go home you free-loading, benefit-grabbing, resource-sucking, baby-making, non-English-speaking ********* and take those other hairy-faced, sandal-wearing, bomb-making, camel-riding, goat-f*****g raghead c***s with you.?

Plays with Trolls Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-20-2013 @ 12:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic-English
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    3rd generation Norwegian-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    North Dakota
    Politics
    Opposite of wherever Washington is going
    Religion
    Follower of Christ
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

And most recently I acquired the final volume of Will and Ariel Durant's The Story of Civilization X: Rousseau and Revolution, first printing 1967, complete with dust jacket too.

There is a wonderful old used book store in Valley City, North Dakota. I was in there last week. At that time they had the entire series. I will be back there on or about the 3rd-6th of December. I could check on the price for you at that time, if you wish.

Best aquisition in years: Leonardo's Notebooks bound in leather. I feel smarter just looking at it.
    Last edited by 2DREZQ; 11-25-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: poor memory
    You don't need a gun until you need a gun. Then you need a gun and there is no good substitute.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DREZQ View Post
    There is a wonderful old used book store in Valley City, North Dakota. I was in there last week. At that time they had the entire series. I will be back there on or about the 3rd-6th of December. I could check on the price for you at that time, if you wish.

Best aquisition in years: Leonardo's Notebooks bound in leather. I feel smarter just looking at it.
    Oh please do! Thank you! It's much appreciated!

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Most books I acquire are somewhat beat up, I generally like bent and creased spines, folded corners and pencil/note marks (never pen!) shows the book has been used for the purpose intended. I have several books from the 19th and early 20th century. Older and expensive books I tend to keep on the shelf, I have quality editions of several authors, I then acquire cheap paper back editions solely to hammer to oblivion for the knowledge in them.

My last acquisition was Conversations of Goethe with Eckermann and Soret, translated by John Oxenford in 1892. I also got a 1961 edition of Aesychylus’ plays Prometheus Bound, The Suppliants, Seven Against Thebes and The Persians.

I do, occasionally, buy new, I bought a King James Bible containing 100+ paintings and monochrome drawings by Rembrandt. It is a work of art. I had had a good week wheeling and dealing, so I thought why not.

Edit:

I to am a book smeller, it does not go down well in the book shops, especially if you have a cold. Some people sniff glue, I inhale books.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Hyperautodidact Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-06-2023 @ 02:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Cosmic Perspective
    Religion
    Possibility Hierarchy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Default Vintage Classics

I too like acquiring older books. It love their smell and feel and their look. I cannot NOT go into a used bookstore and just browse it seems.
    Me either. I always drop at least $40.

So far I've acquired the following:

A 1925 edition of John Ruskin's Sesame and Lilies and The Ethics of the Dust in one bound volume. I started reading the Ethics just a few nights ago and love it! It is in fabulous condition and still even has its red silk bookmark, although detached but still pretty and useful.

A 1954 reprint of the 1924 edition of Methuen's English Classics, Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe.

The 1906 edition of E. V. Lucas' A Wanderer in Holland, complete with "20 illustrations in colour by Herbert Marshall and 34 illustrations after old Dutch masters." It too is in gorgeous condition.

A 1907 third impression of English Songs and Ballads compiled by T. W. H. Crosland, as well in great condition. (Stop coveting my stuff Ossi, Beornie and Wynfrith! )

I will keep an eye out for the rest of that series at The Book Thing. I am pretty confident that I will cross a copy here and there. When I do I will let you know.

Here are some beauties I recently picked up:

Herbert Spencer's Various Fragments

The cover is very hard, a wood-like material. I believe this to be the first edition. I remember being sure of it when I got it, but cannot recall the basis for that belief. Which has been happening to me alot lately. Old age I suppose :/

Marcus Arelius's Meditations (no date)

Plutarch's Twelve Lives, translated by John Dryden (of Aeneid translation fame). This one not as old.
    yDNA: R1a1a1, mtDNA: H4a1
    Principle: No post of mine will be augmented with information external to myself (excluding links to previously understood knowledge). I will not search for any new information prior to, and associated with, a particular post.

My goal in life is to understand the world I live in. Philosophy alone is no good unless it is anchored to reality. To do that requires an understanding of science (space) and history (time). Philosophy+science+history=The complete epistemological package.

Plays with Trolls Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-20-2013 @ 12:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic-English
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    3rd generation Norwegian-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    North Dakota
    Politics
    Opposite of wherever Washington is going
    Religion
    Follower of Christ
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

About 12 years ago I went through my library and picked out most of the best pre-1900 volumes (Ebers Picturesque Egypt-Vol 1, Dawin's Origin of Species-limited edition 1871, etc.) and sold them on eBay. I needed the money.

I still miss them all, but at the time it seemed the logical thing to do.
    You don't need a gun until you need a gun. Then you need a gun and there is no good substitute.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information