Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you classify my accent?

Last Online
    09-12-2021 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Rbst brrby
    Country
    India
    Taxonomy
    Negropolreby
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,302
    Given: 4,653

1 Not allowed!

Yeah there's an Asian twang to your accent as some have already pointed out. Not too prominent though imo.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics
    Autocratic
    Hero
    René Descartes
    Religion
    Cartesian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,241
    Given: 7,078

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    I asked about my accent on a german forum. They said my english is terrible what do you think
    You sound cool IMO! IMO you could voice act for a Call of Duty video game. Very clear speech and good English.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Húrin Thalion and Aulë
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

I'm by no means a professional linguist, but your dialect overall is basically "general American" by far. The dialect isn't distinctive enough compared to Southern, Southern Belle, New York or Boston accent. Which is usually noticeable to pick up on when people talk.

Nevertheless, I can agree with others by listening to your voice carefully you have a slight mid-western dialect when you speak; perhaps a distinctive upper-mid-western dialect to be more precise.
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics
    Autocratic
    Hero
    René Descartes
    Religion
    Cartesian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by de Burgh II View Post
    I'm by no means a professional linguist, but your dialect overall is basically "general American" by far. The dialect isn't distinctive enough compared to Southern, Southern Belle, New York or Boston accent. Which is usually noticeable to pick up on when people talk.

Nevertheless, I can agree with others by listening to your voice carefully you have a slight mid-western dialect when you speak; perhaps a distinctive upper-mid-western dialect to be more precise.
    Wow thanx for the insight! I'm highly interested in accents lol. I really appreciate the Irish one in fact.

Btw I have gotten East-Coast/NY/NE on a few separate occasions during my carousels on the internet in the past, even MONTANA lol, but it might have just been a fluke or circumstantial I think.. Thanx for confirming my dialect is probably "General American" overall. And maybe the Midwestern influence is probably due to me haven grown up in the Midwest during the primary years of my life towards adulthood.
    Last edited by Iloko; 07-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Húrin Thalion and Aulë
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SHAZOU View Post
    Wow thanx for the insight! I'm highly interested in accents lol. I really appreciate the Irish one in fact.

Btw I have gotten East-Coast/NY/NE on a few separate occasions during my carousels on the internet in the past, even MONTANA lol, but it might have just been a fluke or circumstantial I think.. Thanx for confirming my dialect is probably "General American" overall. And maybe the Midwestern influence is probably due to me haven grown up in the Midwest during the primary years of my life towards adulthood.
    Usually Northeastern or Southern accents drops the consonant "R" sound. The is more noticeable in Northeastern dialects with the r dropping. whereas the south has r dropping and "gliding" or "singing" tone when pronouncing words. This "r" dropping is mostly because of British dialects having a strong influence on these areas. Whereas the preservation of r pronunciations are historically influenced by Irish/Scottish dialects that is associated with General American dialect and is highly encouraged due to sounding more "cultured."

A good example would be saying the word "butter" for example.

With a southern/northeastern dialect; usually the "r" sound is replaced with an "h" sound. Instead of saying "butter" as "But-er" as in General American; in sounds more like "Bah-AH" the coarse emphasis on -AH for the -er syllable/suffix is especially gruff and unpleasant sounding especially for Northeastern dialects.

As outlined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...onal_phonology
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics
    Autocratic
    Hero
    René Descartes
    Religion
    Cartesian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by de Burgh II View Post
    Usually Northeastern or Southern accents drops the consonant "R" sound. The is more noticeable in Northeastern dialects with the r dropping. whereas the south has r dropping and "gliding" or "singing" tone when pronouncing words. This "r" dropping is mostly because of British dialects having a strong influence on these areas. Whereas the preservation of r pronunciations are historically influenced by Irish/Scottish dialects that is associated with General American dialect and is highly encouraged due to sounding more "cultured."

A good example would be saying the word "butter" for example.

With a southern/northeastern dialect; usually the "r" sound is replaced with an "h" sound. Instead of saying "butter" as "But-er" as in General American; in sounds more like "Bah-AH" the coarse emphasis on -AH for the -er syllable/suffix is especially gruff and unpleasant sounding especially for Northeastern dialects.

As outlined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...onal_phonology
    Wow thanx that is very insightful! Now I want to study and learn more about linguistics lol. I guess these linguistic characteristics developed from wherever the original European immigrants came from on the European continent who immigrated and settled in the certain US regions right? I've also heard btw something about the Jews as well having influenced the certain accents of the East Coast historically, not really sure if there was any truth to it though, but I would love to be enlightened.

So in mine I have no trace whatsoever of that "h" sound effect in my words?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics