Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite Star Trek series and why?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default What's your favourite Star Trek series and why?

Ok no, I'm not a total trekker. I mean I don't dress up and go to conferences (not that there's anything wrong with that ). Nor do I speak Klingon (though I would love to learn this modern language for sure ). But I think for most of us who are just even moderate fans of whichever given series in the Star Trek franchise, we're fans for a reason.

So question: What's your favourite Star Trek series and why?

Though I grew up watching the original (Gods, Spock freaked me out as a kid! ), I really caught onto Star Trek: The Next Generation. For me, no other series will surpass the sheer intelligence of themes found in this one. Not that the others are bad; they aren't. But ST:TNG usually had the most incredible storylines that made you think. And this was always something I found refreshing about it. As the series progressed, most of the main characters acquired a certain depth (yes even for TVLand) that I've always appreciated.

So I'll leave the next questions ie., what's your favourite episode, who is your favourite character as other thread topics. (If somebody would like to start them please go ahead ).

But let's start with this one, shall we?

Engage!...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I'm not really a fan of Star Trek, but I will watch the films if they're on TV.

The Borg Queen with Alice Krige was fantastic - I'll always remember that one!

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

I love you for making this thread Aemma! I'm an avid Star Trek fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    ... I really caught onto Star Trek: The Next Generation. For me, no other series will surpass the sheer intelligence of themes found in this one.
    Agreed. I think TNG outshines all the others, partially because of Patrick Stewart's excellent acting. Brent Spiner is also one of my favourites.

I love all TNG episodes that have some intrigue around Data. It took me a while to get used to the Will Riker character though, he always stood in Picard's shadow. And episodes that centre around Worf and Klingon stuff do bore me. Not a Worf fan.

Other than TNG, the Original Series is obviously a must for Star Trek lovers. I enjoyed William Shatner's enthusiastic acting performances. Really unparalleled.

Deep Space Nine was surprisingly enjoyable, my favourite being the Odo character. I didn't mind Benjamin Sisko, this is probably one of the few cases where a black actor seems to do a good job. I found Kira to be very annoying. The Ferengi were cute.

Voyager was not too bad either, and I did enjoy the acting of Kate Mulgrew as Captain Janeway. I lost interest in the Voyager series though ...

The Q character is fantastic. I don't like the whole Borg thing ... Star Trek could do without them. Too mechanical for me.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

I hate Star Trek! A sci-fi series set in a multicultural/racial/species utopian future with total equality! As if this would be the natural & unavoidable course of humanity! 2 I wonder how much the influence of PC bullsh*t like Star Trek (indoctinating of the dumb & weak minded) helped contribute to the unreal election of a 1/2 Kenyan crypto-Muslim named Barack Hussein Obama to the White House!

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    I hate Star Trek! A sci-fi series set in a multicultural/racial/species utopian future with total equality! As if this would be the natural & unavoidable course of humanity! 2 I wonder how much the influence of PC bullsh*t like Star Trek (indoctinating of the dumb & weak minded) helped contribute to the unreal election of a 1/2 Kenyan crypto-Muslim named Barack Hussein Obama to the White House!
    What you say is certainly true. A lot of multicultural indoctrination. Today it is not so visible, but in the days when Star Trek was first launched, it was almost sacrilege.

Regardless of the filthy propaganda, the series was well-made and popular for a good reason -- good acting and story lines.

Det Nordiske Råd™approved Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,671
    Given: 6,727

0 Not allowed!

Default no television or films for me, but, the books were a pleasure

there was a particular character...
    Last edited by lei.talk; 02-13-2024 at 11:24 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    Uh oh...one of those Æmeric Explosions again! Oh you lovable curmudgeon. You're giving Archie Bunker a run for his money again, I see! (Oh you know I think you're tops A. ) But I digress....

Well ya see, I never saw ST that way. Not that you're wrong in seeing it that way of course but it isn't what pops into my mind when I think ST. For me it's the different themes that were often presented and that stayed with me because they made me think.

The episode in particular that I most remember is the one where Picard lives an alternate life. He marries, has a child, lives a simple life, he grows old and he plays a flute. It isn't until the very end that we find out, that Picard has lived this very full life within the span of a brief moment of unconsciousness during his real life. Was this real or was it a dream, we are led to ask ourselves. The answer lies in the fact that upon waking up from his brief state of unconsciousness, incredibly, he finds the flute in his pocket.

For me this was a very powerful episode (obviously because it has stayed with me all these years). It spoke to me about the meaning of time, but more so the measure of time and how we value it, how fleeting it can be yet it may seem to last, well, a lifetime. It also spoke to me of other possibilities of being, dimensions within dimensions. And it also reached me in terms of evaluating the fullness of life. This episode was aired shortly after my father had passed on and I remember having watched this episode with my mom. Incredibly, and as odd as this will sound, I think it had both touched us in the same way.

It's incredible how some elements of pop culture can reach something deep inside of people on those few rare occasions. One wouldn't think so given that most TV is junk. But every once in a while, there is stuff out there that can make you think along more metaphysical lines if you're so inclined to thinking that way. And this is what I appreciate about the ST:TNG series. It makes me think.

Cheers Æmeric!...Aemma

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I can't believe that I'm actually going to answer this one!

Yes it's the Next generation that wins for me, probably because I grew up with it, The original series is good but I absolutely loath deep space nine it bored me silly, I don't mind some of the Voyager series either although Janeway annoys me also.

I've even been to a conference
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-30-2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    The Cult of Odin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

I think Star Trek is awesome...

I started watching it as a boy, of course. It gets a lot of credit for activating within me those mythological centers which have led me to being.

My favorite series would be The Next Generation. Because every episode is my favorite.. up

The last one I watched was when Wesley was made an ensign. This one was all about initiation into manhood. At the very end..( I forget exactly )..he's asked if he want's his Mommy to come to the bridge, and he say's "naw, I'll tell her later".

Voyager was alright. I watched it for about a year because it was Star Trek and it came on on one of the four channels I had.

Deep Space Nine was better than Voyager. Odo was interesting. A shape-shifter melting his self in his Self..

Later,
    -Lyfing

Banned
    Last Online
    07-25-2020 @ 05:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    UK/Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Celto-Germanic
    Religion
    Chaos-Gnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

Voyager. Loved the characters and their dilemmas.

It was also one of the more action-packed of the ST series.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information