Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    Apparently, they were not. In Greenland, they lived side by side with Eskimo, which they rightfully regarded as savages. When farming became impossible, they died out rather than follow Eskimos in their primitive survival ways.
    And how do you know?

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Rather not, because I read even in scientist papers and saw in higher level documentaries the idea, that the Vikings died out on Greenland for various reasons, some being that they refused to eat raw meat, which would have been the primary source of vitamins there, once their own agriculture became deteriorated during the Little Ice Age and that they also wore clothes more suitable and fashionable for Western Europe.

They simply changed little of the classic European lifestyle at that time, while the conditions worsened and survival would have only been possible, if they would have adopted, completely, the Eskimo way of life, including the savagery in certain respects, like eating the raw meat and living more mobile in typical way the Arctic demands.

Fact is, there were constant wars with the Eskimos too and when the Vikings/Europeans became weaker, due to the worsening of the climate, they became easy prey, but also because they were unwilling or unable - probably both, to change to the "savage way of life" style.

Christian-European inspired Medieval settlers they were, don't forget that.
    I think it's a question of not being able to do so rather than plain refusal. A humans primitive instinct is to survive. Maybe it was a combination of not being able to digest the raw foods? Humans are adaptable but maybe not in a generation. It would have needed a gradual shift to a raw diet to survive on it.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

You'd think anyone who can eat smalahove, raw animal hearts and rakfisk wouldn't be squirmish for some raw seal meat...

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Or rotten Hĺkärring, whatever that is in English. I think the Norse settlement in Greenland simply went under for other reasons than refusal to eat rotten and raw food...

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Motörhead Remember Me View Post
    Or rotten Hĺkärring, whatever that is in English. I think the Norse settlement in Greenland simply went under for other reasons than refusal to eat rotten and raw food...
    In the end, they had not enough of both and were often sick, as the bones prove, since conditions became worse and worse. It was a combination of extreme weather, low food and vitamins, bad clothing, no steady connection any more to the mainland (from which they got important goods before), diseases and attacks from the Inuits.

In other areas of Europe, conditions were worse then too than some years before, resulting in Alpinisation and Baltisation in various areas.

In Greenland, the Norse just died out completely and the Eskimos took their place.

Looking at the expansion of Eskimos, which eliminated older arctic populations further West before, they reached many of the European settled areas in the crucial time, when the conditions became unbearable for the Europeans.
    And the sources tell us about constant fights with the savages even before.

Also, to adopt a completely different hunter and gatherer culture, without help from outside, in just one to three generations is a big thing, but that's what they were facing, conditions became worse in a relatively short period of time.

Det Nordiske Rĺd™approved Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,669
    Given: 6,723

0 Not allowed!

Talking "You'd think anyone who can eat smalahove, raw animal hearts and rakfisk wouldn't be squeamish..."

Motörhead Remember Me Or rotten Hĺkärring,
    whatever that is in English.

The flesh of a Greenland shark is poisonous. This is due to the presence of the toxin trimethylamine oxide, which, upon digestion, breaks down into trimethylamine, producing effects similar to extreme drunkenness. Occasionally, sled dogs that end up eating the flesh are unable to stand up due to the neurotoxins. Similar toxic effects occur with the related Pacific sleeper shark, but not in most other shark species, whose meat is often consumed fresh.

However, it can be eaten if it is boiled in several changes of water or dried or fermented for some months to produce Kćstur Hákarl, often Hákarl for short. Traditionally this was done by burying the shark in boreal ground, exposing it to several cycles of freezing and thawing. It is considered a delicacy in Iceland and Greenland.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,519
    Given: 9,857

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    I know all that, Agrippa, it's just that Aherne seemed to approve of the choice of death over adaptation, which seemed pretty stupid to me.
    Only because Aryan blood doesn't flow in your veins. Vikings believed they were racialy superior to Eskimos, which they regarded as subhuman because of their extraordinarily primitive lifestyles as well as racially alien physique. Racial unions between the two were utterly disdained and resulted into being banished from community. Saw that even in Holocaust Channel (i was about to say History Channel), presented in a rather negative light (quite expected from a Jerusalem-ruled media outlet).

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    Only because Aryan blood doesn't flow in your veins.
    Vikings were not "Aryan" they were Norse/Northmen(Nordmenn)... please don't insult our ancestors with that crap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information