View Poll Results: How Often Do You Blót?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every day?

0 0%
  • Once a week?

0 0%
  • A couple of times per week?

0 0%
  • Once a month?

4 25.00%
  • A couple of times per month?

2 12.50%
  • Only during the three major holy tides?

2 12.50%
  • Other

8 50.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Often Do You Blót?

Last Online
    03-06-2021 @ 01:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Italian with a touch of Irish
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Arizona
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I try every month. Sometimes I give offerings several times in one month though, depends on the occasion.

A Wanderer Through Middle Earth YggsVinr's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-20-2012 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

For me the issue is a combination of the "other" option as well a the major heathen celebrations. I do not consider what I do as a blót. For me it comes down to learning as much as I can and exercising my mind as a tool for greater learning on the subject of the heathen past, as well as honouring my immediate ancestors, mainly my grandparents who are now deceased for they are my true "folk heroes". However, it is through the memory of my pépčre that I find my connection to Ođin and the two have been very intertwined for me since I began my path to discover more about my pre-Christian ancestors. My pepere was the one who awakened my interest in my Norman ancestry, so in order to honour him at Yule and Midsummer, my mother and I have some days of celebration where we cook pork and game birds, drink some mead from Québec and local beer, and talk about my grandparents, the old days, and read passages from the sagas and Eddas. Our practice at Midsummer is similar.

On those days I also take the time to go sit by my grandparents' grave as well as on a small clearing on a small mound in our back woods with some beer, bread, and cheese. At that point I just sit and think of back when they were alive, as well as contemplating on the development of my own personal philosophy as I am ever doing. To me those times are not only maintaining the bond between my grandparents' memory and myself, but also maintaining the one I feel I have with the figure of Ođin particularly during Yule. Those times were also the times when my grandfather used to always tell me the story of the chasse-galerie (French Canadian Wild Hunt) that would fly through the sky around the winter holidays.

So I guess I'd say I do not "blót", really, but take those times to commemorate my grandparents, my heathen ancestors, and Ođin (for he is the one I feel most connected to especially at Winter Nights and Yule) and Frey (Frey especially at Midsummer because its become a bit of a personification and connection to the coming hay and wheat season for me). All that matters is maintaining one's inherent connection with the soil one's family has poured all their labour and life into, keeping alive the old traditions both recent and in the distant past, as well as dedicating one's life to researching and reconstructing the heathen past. The way I see it, I honour all that every day with my chosen path of study and lifestyle so there is no need to make any big, official ceremony, but to just live my life in a way that fits my ideas. So I'm not sure it should come down to how often one blóts but, rather, that one remembers and learns of the past, and continually tries to better one's self every single day. That should be the highest honour one can grant to the memory of the past.

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Firstly, I'm going to Vargtand's house for Easter. That sounds like fun!!!!

We have a small hearth up here in Winnipeg although due to the extremely cold winter (-25 to -47 Celcius) we have been big wimps and not all getting together for blots. We do have one every month at home, though, as we three in the family make up 75% of the Prairie Sky Hearth.

I prefer blots at home to be honest, and I figure this probably makes me strange amongst most of the Odinists/Asatruar/Garden-variety Heathens I know, who seem to really enjoy going outside and visiting wooded areas, beaches, or historic public sites. I feel closest to my gods and ancestors, though, in my home - particularly in the kitchen, around the table, when we're all eating our blot feast and passing the homemade wine and bread around, and raising toasts.

There are no really "private" places to go to that are outside in Manitoba because once you leave the city it literally turns into big flat farms right away. I'm fairly certain the Mennonites and Hutterites are not going to understand, us standing in their lower 40, raising a horn, LOL. Any time I've been outside to blot in Winnipeg it just feels like I'm on display and POOF!! The moment is gone.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solwyn View Post
    Firstly, I'm going to Vargtand's house for Easter. That sounds like fun!!!!

We have a small hearth up here in Winnipeg although due to the extremely cold winter (-25 to -47 Celcius) we have been big wimps and not all getting together for blots. We do have one every month at home, though, as we three in the family make up 75% of the Prairie Sky Hearth.

I prefer blots at home to be honest, and I figure this probably makes me strange amongst most of the Odinists/Asatruar/Garden-variety Heathens I know, who seem to really enjoy going outside and visiting wooded areas, beaches, or historic public sites. I feel closest to my gods and ancestors, though, in my home - particularly in the kitchen, around the table, when we're all eating our blot feast and passing the homemade wine and bread around, and raising toasts.

There are no really "private" places to go to that are outside in Manitoba because once you leave the city it literally turns into big flat farms right away. I'm fairly certain the Mennonites and Hutterites are not going to understand, us standing in their lower 40, raising a horn, LOL. Any time I've been outside to blot in Winnipeg it just feels like I'm on display and POOF!! The moment is gone.
    LOL! Yes you poor lot in Winterpeg! Ha! Oh you know I had to now eh Solwyn?

But I so understand that feeling of wanting to perform blot in one's home though. This is what is meaningful for us as well, living in the 'burbs. I suppose that if we did have acreage somewhere we would be feeling differently...but then again maybe not. Home is where the heart is, and our ancestors, and where we always are. It just really feels right.

In the summertime though, we do blot outside in our gazebo, free from prying eyes yet in the outdoors by our wee Rowan tree and flowers in the garden and birdbath and feeders and windchimes swaying in the breeze. This is the outdoor heart of our home.

Home sweet home, eh?

Cheers Solwyn!...Aemma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information