View Poll Results: How Often Do You Blót?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every day?

0 0%
  • Once a week?

0 0%
  • A couple of times per week?

0 0%
  • Once a month?

4 25.00%
  • A couple of times per month?

2 12.50%
  • Only during the three major holy tides?

2 12.50%
  • Other

8 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Often Do You Blót?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

"Behold, I teach you the overman! The overman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the overman shall be the meaning of the earth! I beseech you, my brothers, remain faithful to the earth, and do not believe those who speak to you of otherworldly hopes! Poison-mixers are they, whether they know it or not. Despisers of life are they, decaying and poisoned themselves, of whom the earth is weary: so let them go!"
    What matter to me most is this world, this life, my life. I observe in the world many things that speak as though there are gods behind them, and never have they demanded sacrifice nor tribute. We are similar entities born of this world, worthy of each others respect. Our wills should not conflict but become mutual.

"Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope over an abyss...
    What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture and a going under...
    Towards the betterment of myself and those around me, if there truly are gods behind the veil, I hope they see that I am worthy of a little recognition.

It's hard for me to reconcile Nietzschean values while having a belief in gods. I try to focus on the here and now, when I'm dead, and if something else does truly exist afterwards, I will focus on that when I get there. Just one day at a time for now.

Although I do owe Wodan some birds...

Banned
    Last Online
    01-30-2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    The Cult of Odin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

I kind of did today..

Me and Mrs. Lyfing was down at the lake at the amphitheater. I called the Gods and Goddesses and drank with them..then some stranger showed up to fish ( in an old Ford truck with a rebel flag plate in the front ) and partied with us a minute..( I must wonder why.. )

I don't do it as much as I used to though. When I was young and crazy I'd go out in the woods and cut runes into me and stuff..

These things are very magical to me..

Joseph Campbell taught me "The Lesson of the Mask" so I equate it all with communion..

I want to do it more within something of a community..

There ain't no kindreds around that I know of though..

And, I ain't never been part of one..

But, maybe that'll change..

Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    10-28-2013 @ 06:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerzen View Post
    I've never been much for formalities.
    I praise the gods when I feel their presence or the time is right.

But I never drink a beer without dropping three drops.
    One for Odin, Thor and the gods.
    One for Loki and the trolls - as Odin never drinks without Loki.
    and one for the honoured ancestors.

Might be more of a habit than a tradition, but I feel good for doing it.
    Wow, that's something similar to what we do at Sumbel. Usually, it's a round for the Gods, one for the Ancestors, and 3rd round for Toasts, Boasts, and Oaths and possibly Gifts. Then, it's free-for-all...songs, poetry, toasting, bragging, ect...

When one toasts Odin, we don't mentioned Loki by name, but as Odin with Loki, we flick some mead into the fire for Loki. We try not to invoke his name, just out of caution.

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

I agree with Lyfing. My heathen life has always been something I've had to figure out on my own - having a kindred folk around might make it easier to relate.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

I agree with Lyfing. My heathen life has always been something I've had to figure out on my own - having a kindred folk around might make it easier to relate.
    Yes but isn't that part of the beauty of heathenry though Jag, that we're all responsible for our own spiritual development and make our own way(s) in the end?

We don't belong to a hearth or kindred either, though we do have one other folkish family with whom we do try to get together for blotar during the major holy tides. But for the most part, we're solitary. It's not such a bad thing in the end, esp. when you know that there are good online Heathen communities about.

Cheers!...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    What matter to me most is this world, this life, my life. I observe in the world many things that speak as though there are gods behind them, and never have they demanded sacrifice nor tribute. We are similar entities born of this world, worthy of each others respect. Our wills should not conflict but become mutual.

Towards the betterment of myself and those around me, if there truly are gods behind the veil, I hope they see that I am worthy of a little recognition.

It's hard for me to reconcile Nietzschean values while having a belief in gods. I try to focus on the here and now, when I'm dead, and if something else does truly exist afterwards, I will focus on that when I get there. Just one day at a time for now.

Although I do owe Wodan some birds...
    Hmm nice post Oulfie. Thank you. (I ran out of rep pts ) Ok I understand this a bit more. There's more fodder in here for me to be asking questions dontcha know. But I'll take it easy on both of us for now eh and chill with the questions for this evening.

Thanks again Oulfie!...Aemma

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Yes but isn't that part of the beauty of heathenry though Jag, that we're all responsible for our own spiritual development and make our own way(s) in the end?

We don't belong to a hearth or kindred either, though we do have one other folkish family with whom we do try to get together for blotar during the major holy tides. But for the most part, we're solitary. It's not such a bad thing in the end, esp. when you know that there are good online Heathen communities about.

Cheers!...Aemma
    I agree, Aemma. I've never been much of a 'joiner' anyways. Bit of a lone wolf, for sure.

I'd rather do things on my own - but no one can deny that sometimes it helps to have a group behind you.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

...but no one can deny that sometimes it helps to have a group behind you.
    Oh yes I won't dispute that Jag.

...Aemma

Antipodean Loyalist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-19-2009 @ 07:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    Scottish, English, Irish and Spanish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Alpinised Bruenn + Med
    Politics
    Rule from above
    Religion
    Heathenry & Ascension
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

Think you're all isolated? How about being as isolated as all of you AND having inverted seasons?

About when everyone's celebrating Yule, I'm the quiet voice in the background yelling out "Midsummer!"

Aside from the main three Blotar, I sometimes conduct less formal rites. I try to hail the gods on a daily basis, drawing inspiration from the Odinic Rite's Book of Blotar. There are many good, simple things one can do on a daily basis to help oneself feel spiritually complete.

I don't think I would want to Blot all of the time, as I feel it would lose something.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

I don't.. Though I scare witches ever Easter by lighting bonfires and shooting rockets at them (I kid you not)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information