Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Plight of East Indonesians Melanesian Moluccan and West Papuan people

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 7

1 Not allowed!

Each island in Indonesia should be its own country.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Indeed. Same thing infamously happened to East Timor & other places. It’s not just the military that’s been accused of atrocities, separatists have been as well. Terrible no doubt. People often emphasise that when discussing separatism. Yet that wouldn’t be my main concern regarding if my main concern was separation, because Indonesia can basically just apologise & promise to never do that again, as well as to develop the region, right? I wonder how much pro separatists & rebel groups realise the reason Indonesia gets to occupy West Papua is because it’s legal under international law. Occupation isn’t like the old days when it was a matter of power, in modern times it’s a matter of legality. These rebel groups fighting government military are like tug of war games, they don’t really accomplish anything. It’s not like the old days when you could kick an occupying power with just force. I doubt existing rebel groups can really do that, but even if they did manage to kick Indonesia out, Indonesia would just come back with the support of the international community & law, right? Instead, I think it would be in the interests of pro separatists & rebel groups to focus on international law instead of just firepower. I’m not sure if Papuan, as well as southern Thai & Filipino, rebel groups are unified, they might not be. They may also be involved in criminal activity, like drug & weapon manufacturing & smuggling. They may be separatists when convenient, & criminals when it’s convenient to. Anyways, I think what pro separatists & rebel groups ought to do is unify, & to pick their smartest people, & send them to universities to become lawyers & politicians, so they can get knowledgeable, involved & influential in the politics of their concerns. I think they should raise armies of lawyers & politicians alongside armies of fighters. It may be expensive, yet they’re organisations, so they should be able to figure that out. Otherwise, armed combat alone isn’t going to accomplish much

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

How & where do these rebel groups receive & pay for their weapons, armour, tech, gear, & training?

For southern Thailand & Philippines, I’ve heard that they often receive at least their training from the Middle East, from groups like Al Qaeda. Maybe these Middle Eastern groups send representatives to Southeast Asia as well to assist training & combat.
    This collaboration is probably a result of shared religious ideology.
    Not sure about Papuans, most of whom should be Christian protestants or animists.

Of course, such groups will try to keep this information secret, so it may have to be guessed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information