View Poll Results: Do you consider Udmurt people as part of White race?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 65.67%
  • No

23 34.33%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Udmurts, white or not?

Last Online
    04-06-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 40

0 Not allowed!

Mongoloid admixture does not interfere with "white" look to the degree that SSA admixture does. In fact, the two are not even comparable. Someone who's 75% Caucasoid and 25% Mongoloid would look Caucasoid in most cases.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GoalPoacher View Post
    Mongoloid admixture does not interfere with "white" look to the degree that SSA admixture does. In fact, the two are not even comparable. Someone who's 75% Caucasoid and 25% Mongoloid would look Caucasoid in most cases.
    Yes but we are discussing about the concept of who is "white" here. I have heard from many users here that the threshold for being consider white is someone who is 90-95%+ European, if you are less European than that, you are not White.

Well its better to compare SSA admixture more to those of Native American than Mongoloid. Someone who is 25% Amerindian will show stronger Native influence in their phenotypes than someone who is 25% Mongoloid in my opinion.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-10-2022 @ 10:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Weeb
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,217
    Given: 2,355

1 Not allowed!

Honestly I have a hard time believing that those 2 freckled girls at the bottom are actually Udmurt. Their features are just way too sharp. Udmurts seem unusually European for their genetics but not that European. I found the photographer and made no mention of them being Udmurt when she posted the photo. I would contact her and ask her directly but that's going too far.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Honestly I have a hard time believing that those 2 freckled girls at the bottom are actually Udmurt. Their features are just way too sharp. Udmurts seem unusually European for their genetics but not that European. I found the photographer and made no mention of them being Udmurt when she posted the photo. I would contact her and ask her directly but that's going too far.
    They are probably Irish or some other type of East Euro.

Agreed, Udmurts are around 25-30% East Asian on average. They also seem to have minor Iranian/Caucasian-related input probably from ancient Scythian/Sarmatian nomads who used to roam the Urals.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Weeb
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    They are probably Irish or some other type of East Euro.

Agreed, Udmurts are around 25-30% East Asian on average. They also seem to have minor Iranian/Caucasian-related input probably from ancient Scythian/Sarmatian nomads who used to roam the Urals.
    Holy shit, they do have some west Asianesque ancestry. I did not expect that. But they seem to be a mix of an east Slav(Russian)pop vs a pure Uralic group like Mansi.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Holy shit, they do have some west Asianesque ancestry. I did not expect that. But they seem to be a mix of an east Slav(Russian)pop vs a pure Uralic group like Mansi.

Udmurts seem to have minor Iran_N/BMAC-related ancestry according to what I heard from Coldmountains in Anthrogenica:
    1. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post666816
    2. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post607251

Target: Udmurt
    Distance: 4.1596% / 0.04159576
    53.2 RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov
    20.4 Anatolia_N
    15.8 EHG
    8.2 Caucasus_HG
    2.4 TJK_Sarazm_En
    Although Volga Tatars seem to have even more Iran_N/Caucasus/BMAC related ancestry even more than Udmurts. Tatars, Udmurts and probably other Volga Uralics seem to have legit significant Scythian/Sarmatian ancestry.

Actually from what I have learn from Coldmountains, Udmurts have very low Slavic/Russian admixture. Most of their European ancestry seems to be something Sintashta-like rather than Slavic/Russian. Instead, its the Mordovians/Erzyas who have very Balto-Slavic ancestry: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post568285

"sample": "Test1:Mordovian",
    "fit": 2.4002,
    "HUN_Avar_Szolad": 50,
    "Baltic_EST_IA": 35.83,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA_o1": 4.17,
    "Nganassan": 3.33,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 3.33,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 2.5,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 0.83,

"sample": "Test2:Udmurt",
    "fit": 3.3583,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 36.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 32.5,
    "HUN_Avar_Szolad": 18.33,
    "Nganassan": 7.5,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 5,
    "Baltic_EST_IA": 0,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA_o1": 0,

"sample": "Test1:Ukrainian",
    "fit": 1.7654,
    "HUN_Avar_Szolad": 84.17,
    "Baltic_EST_IA": 14.17,
    "Nganassan": 0.83,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 0.83,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 0,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 0,

"sample": "Test2:Russian_Kursk",
    "fit": 1.7213,
    "HUN_Avar_Szolad": 59.17,
    "Baltic_EST_IA": 35.83,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 2.5,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 1.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 0.83,
    "Nganassan": 0,

"sample": "Test1:Russian_Kostroma",
    "fit": 2.13,
    "HUN_Avar_Szolad": 45.83,
    "Baltic_EST_IA": 39.17,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 5,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 4.17,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA_o1": 3.33,
    "Nganassan": 2.5,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 0,

"sample": "Test2:Russian_Kursk",
    "fit": 5.6619,
    "Corded_Ware_Baltic_early": 56.67,
    "Globular_Amphora": 35,
    "SHG": 6.67,
    "RUS_Bolshoy_Oleni_Ostrov": 1.67,
    "MNG_Hovsgol_BA": 0,
    "Nganassan": 0,
    "TKM_Namazga_Tepe_En": 0,
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldmountains
    Generally i would say that there is significant Scythian ancestry in the Volga region among Tatars, Udmurts and maybe Mari. Mordovians seem to be very Balto-Slavic like. Ukrainians and most Slavic Russians may have something around 5%-10% Scythian ancestry but it is hard to detect and i would rather say it is on the lower end of this estimate.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 12-10-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,589
    Given: 462

0 Not allowed!

Udmurts seem to have minor Iran_N/BMAC-related ancestry according to what I heard from Coldmountains in Anthrogenica:

Although Volga Tatars seem to have even more Iran_N/Caucasus/BMAC related ancestry even more than Udmurts. Tatars, Udmurts and probably other Volga Uralics seem to have legit significant Scythian/Sarmatian ancestry.

Actually from what I have learn from Coldmountains, Udmurts have very low Slavic/Russian admixture. Most of their European ancestry seems to be something Sintashta-like rather than Slavic/Russian. Instead, its the Mordovians/Erzyas who have very Balto-Slavic ancestry: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post568285
    I noticed a weird connection of love-hate between Finnish and Iranian people (Persians and Kurds) in Sweden, that I could never really grasp. Also, not to forget that Finland which has always had more restricted borders than Sweden has a significant Kurdish minority. So it seems that they are cousins by proxy through Udmurts. That explains a lot, actually.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Weeb
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Very interesting. I only recently considered the possibility of them having heavy Slavic ancestry. I guess that my initial impression that they were a mix of some old CWC like group+Siberian was right after all? It would make sense because if their red hair genes were introduced by Russkies, then it wouldn't have become as prevalent as they are now so quickly. Selection following early admixture with a CWC-like group would make more sense.

Im more hesitant to buy into the Scythian explanation though. It seems every other Eurasian group has been claimed to be part Scythian only for it to later turn out to be bullshit. The Udmurt have a ton of EHG that is independent of their steppe but I would argue there seems to be a heavy EHG/WSHG substrate in ALL Uralic groups(besides Mordvin/Erzya) on both sides of the Urals, so Scythians aren't the necessary explanation. As for Ukrainians and Russians(not including the Finnic/Uralic mixed ones) having possible Scythian ancestry, I think it might be true cause they do get small extra traces of Caucasian, Mongol Slab grave, and EHG when modeled with Hun_Szolad. Not to mention, the Sarmatians existed in eastern Europe just prior to the Slavic push into the area, implying they were absorbed. But again, it's difficult to say if this came with them or with another similar nomadic group which we know were PLENTIFUL in this region.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Yes they are ultra white very white just look at them but probably less caucasoid than the French for example
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Very interesting. I only recently considered the possibility of them having heavy Slavic ancestry. I guess that my initial impression that they were a mix of some old CWC like group+Siberian was right after all? It would make sense because if their red hair genes were introduced by Russkies, then it wouldn't have become as prevalent as they are now so quickly. Selection following early admixture with a CWC-like group would make more sense.

Im more hesitant to buy into the Scythian explanation though. It seems every other Eurasian group has been claimed to be part Scythian only for it to later turn out to be bullshit. The Udmurt have a ton of EHG that is independent of their steppe but I would argue there seems to be a heavy EHG/WSHG substrate in ALL Uralic groups(besides Mordvin/Erzya) on both sides of the Urals, so Scythians aren't the necessary explanation. As for Ukrainians and Russians(not including the Finnic/Uralic mixed ones) having possible Scythian ancestry, I think it might be true cause they do get small extra traces of Caucasian, Mongol Slab grave, and EHG when modeled with Hun_Szolad. Not to mention, the Sarmatians existed in eastern Europe just prior to the Slavic push into the area, implying they were absorbed. But again, it's difficult to say if this came with them or with another similar nomadic group which we know were PLENTIFUL in this region.
    Yep, I think your original thought on them being a mix of CWC-like group and Siberian is correct. Although they seem to have minor Iranian/Central Asian-like ancestry as well. Here are other models btw from Coldmountains.

This is one is to determine the amount of Slavic admixture in Udmurts and compare them to mainstream Russians. Avar_Szolad seems to be the main Slavic component as I'm not sure if Baltic_EST_IA
    is also one.

Spoiler!

You could be right regarding the Scythian stuff. What modern day ethnic group do you think have the most Scythian/Sarmatian ancestry in your opinion? Here are also other models for Scythian affinity in Volga Ural folks:

1. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post741431

Spoiler!

2. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post582481
    Spoiler!

3. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post585544

Spoiler!

Udmurts also have some actual WSHG input right?

Well I thought there could be Scythian ancestry in Udmurts since they apparently seem to have minor Iranian/Central Asian-related affinity from what I have observed in some G25 and Vahaduo Gedmatch runs. Where do you think this Caucasian/BMAC stuff in Udmurts comes from then: Turkic ancestry from Tatars and Bashkirs, since they are also geographically next door neighbors? Ukrainians and Russians could indeed have some Scythian ancestry, although its likely minor according to David and Coldmountains.

Volga Tatars also could actually have Scythian ancestry as they score some Central Asian/BMAC-like input and Mongolia_North in small amounts.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 12-11-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information