Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Do Greeks look similar to Turks?

Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 06:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Religion
    Agnostic theism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 105

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brennus dux gallorum View Post
    It could be the specific samples of south italians and Turks (more northwestern shifted Turks than real life Turkish average?? I dont know)

As for the latter, some make sense (Crete, kalymnos rhodes and cyclades seem as we always know them) meanwhile others do not: euboia next to thessaly (should plot south of it), patmos as north as north aegean and central Greece (should be nearly as southern as Rhodes sample), and one maniot result as north as thessaly? Let alone that its a tiny peninsula, how can it be so diverse that 5 different results would be so diasporic on thst pca?

Either way, even thessaly which is the most northern shifted Greek region never overlaps with slavs of fyrom
    Euboea plots south of Thessaly on average that's just 1 sample. Some Peloponnesian might be right close to Thessalians but still on average they plot south:

On average they are more southern.

No group of Turks is actually that close to south Italians.

Maniotes cluster with the northmost Sicilians, Apulians and Abruzzes.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
    Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 02:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macédonien
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 36

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    No such thing exists. Greece isnt a multicultural society its intercultural.
    Greece is multicultural but you may not believe.

Last Online
    02-25-2024 @ 10:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Turkic + Anatolian
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 900
    Given: 668

0 Not allowed!

It could be the specific samples of south italians and Turks (more northwestern shifted Turks than real life Turkish average?? I dont know)

As for the latter, some make sense (Crete, kalymnos rhodes and cyclades seem as we always know them) meanwhile others do not: euboia next to thessaly (should plot south of it), patmos as north as north aegean and central Greece (should be nearly as southern as Rhodes sample), and one maniot result as north as thessaly? Let alone that its a tiny peninsula, how can it be so diverse that 5 different results would be so diasporic on thst pca?

Either way, even thessaly which is the most northern shifted Greek region never overlaps with slavs of fyrom
    Yes some Turks, like me, can be pretty close to South Italians and Sicilians. I'm closer to Cretans, South Italians and Sicilians than to Armenians or Kurds for example. I also saw someone else from my region that had similar results so it is possible for some Turks to be pretty close.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hapanuwa View Post
    Yes some Turks, like me, can be pretty close to South Italians and Sicilians. I'm closer to Cretans, South Italians and Sicilians than to Armenians or Kurds for example. I also saw someone else from my region that had similar results so it is possible for some Turks to be pretty close.
    It could be that Turkish majority with the stereotypically "west asian" results represent the native anatolian/central asian hybrid bulk of the country, meanwhile those who score close to sicilians, south italians and cretans could be partially descendants of ancient Greek colonists on the coasts of anatolia. Which part of Turkey do you live in?

Last Online
    02-25-2024 @ 10:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Turkic + Anatolian
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 900
    Given: 668

0 Not allowed!

It could be that Turkish majority with the stereotypically "west asian" results represent the native anatolian/central asian hybrid bulk of the country, meanwhile those who score close to sicilians, south italians and cretans could be partially descendants of ancient Greek colonists on the coasts of anatolia. Which part of Turkey do you live in?
    I'm originally from a village in Afyon Province in the Aegean region. So it's inlands and not close to the coast (appr. 4 hour distance from İzmir). Because I'm from inland Anatolia, I'm not sure about ancient Greek heritage because as far as I know outside of the colonies on the coast, the inland Anatolia only got Greek language and didn't mix with them. It should be said that often those with the most Central Asian results are from the Aegean.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

I'm originally from a village in Afyon Province in the Aegean region. So it's inlands and not close to the coast (appr. 4 hour distance from İzmir). Because I'm from inland Anatolia, I'm not sure about ancient Greek heritage because as far as I know outside of the colonies on the coast, the inland Anatolia only got Greek language and didn't mix with them. It should be said that often those with the most Central Asian results are from the Aegean.
    I know, mugla region is where central asian admixture peaks

Last Online
    11-30-2022 @ 09:47 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 155

0 Not allowed!

It's somewhat more complicated. There were definitely Greek settlements further inland Anatolia. Even in Eastern Anatolia. And especially in the West of Anatolia there was a movement of peoples. If you compare the autosomal DNA of modern Greeks and Mycenaeans, you'll notice that some Greeks also plot somewhat more East compared to the Bronze Age proto-Greeks of the mainland. This is probably due to the fact that there was no deviding line between Anatolia and Greece during Byzantine Empire.

Also consider the fact that aside from the mobility of the Greeks, Western Anatolia was also settled by other Balkanic people which are similar to the Greeks. The Phrygians were from Northern Greece and were kicked out by the Macedonian tribes descending from the mountains. Also the Dardanians were said to be from Thrace originally. The ancient Thracians also seem to fall within the Greek cluster. So a lot of Greek and Greek-like input in Anatolia.

Last Online
    11-30-2022 @ 09:47 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 155

0 Not allowed!

It's somewhat more complicated. There were definitely Greek settlements further inland Anatolia. Even in Eastern Anatolia. And especially in the West of Anatolia there was a movement of peoples. If you compare the autosomal DNA of modern Greeks and Mycenaeans, you'll notice that some Greeks also plot somewhat more East compared to the Bronze Age proto-Greeks of the mainland. This is probably due to the fact that there was no deviding line between Anatolia and Greece during Byzantine Empire.

Also consider the fact that aside from the mobility of the Greeks, Western Anatolia was also settled by other Balkanic people which are similar to the Greeks. The Phrygians were from Northern Greece and were kicked out by the Macedonian tribes descending from the mountains. Also the Dardanians were said to be from Thrace originally. The ancient Thracians also seem to fall within the Greek cluster. So a lot of Greek and Greek-like input in Anatolia.

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 50

0 Not allowed!

A Turk and a Greek, The Turk looks more Greek than the Greek XD

Rgvgjhvv

0 Not allowed!