Religion
    Paganism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 21

1 Not allowed!

Aside from accounts by Christian and Muslim explorers, we have archeology and comparative linguistics to understand aspects of ancient northern european cultures. And the decentralized aspect means that any way we approach our gods is valid.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2022 @ 01:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo American
    Ancestry
    Anglo/German/Dutch/Norse American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Oregon
    Y-DNA
    E-V12
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Politics
    Right
    Hero
    Evola
    Religion
    Traditionalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,081
    Given: 56,859

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Literally all accounts of how actual "heathens" or just norse-mythologists behaved were written by christian settlers or priests that came to the "barbarians" in the north.
    You cannot deny that these testimonies about how "heathens" behaved are obviously only subjective and only portray the way the church saw "heathens" back in the days.

Also, how does "heathenry" even make sense? Heathenry was not some kinda uniform religion of the scandinavians. Every little tribe must have had it's own spin of this "religion", because of the before mentioned lack of uniformity.
    This is even reflected by how many names "Odin/Wodan" has (https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...s-Names-Titles).

But still, this is a serious question, so I expect some serious answers, not just some shitstorm

Nonsense, it wasnt just Tacitus documenting the barbarians of the north, most of the sources were written by Northern Europeans.. after Christianization yes, but they were not outsiders, by and large.

There has been a good deal of scholarly research into the pre-christian beliefs. It's really a geeky and requires going through research.

Last Online
    10-25-2018 @ 11:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Serb with ancestors from Serbia, Bosnia and Montenegro
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Very 'conservative'/reactionary
    Religion
    Indo-European
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 84

0 Not allowed!

Our pagan customs are still very much there, disguised in a so-called 'christian' form. If we observe christian high festivals such as easter and christmas, we see pagan high festivals. When we look at the Serbian orthodox custom of 'patron saints' each family has, its clearly a substitution for 'patron Gods' a family used to have before christianity. So yes, the evidence is everywhere, we just need to look for it.

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

I do not support neo-paganism movements or religions. But I respect and support all pagan/polytheistic religions of the past and especially those that have managed to survive to the present.

'Heathenry' is completely incompatable with modern civilization and lifestyle. I see no point in converting to a religion that was constructed and practiced under wildly contrasting circumstances from those which we live under today.

Also, let's be honest, a very significant portion of these people are only in it because the myths play out like comic books. The movement is shallow.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Religion
    Indo-European
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    I do not support neo-paganism movements or religions. But I respect and support all pagan/polytheistic religions of the past and especially those that have managed to survive to the present.

'Heathenry' is completely incompatable with modern civilization and lifestyle. I see no point in converting to a religion that was constructed and practiced under wildly contrasting circumstances from those which we live under today.

Also, let's be honest, a very significant portion of these people are only in it because the myths play out like comic books. The movement is shallow.
    It is shallow, but people like Survive the Jive and Varg Vikernes (Thulean Perspective) are doing a quite good job at bringing back authentic 'paganism' (or better put, Indo-European spirituality).

Kouros

0 Not allowed!

If there every comes a time where Europeans are forced into primitivity, Europe will become polytheistic once again

Kouros

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    It is shallow, but people like Survive the Jive and Varg Vikernes (Thulean Perspective) are doing a quite good job at bringing back authentic 'paganism' (or better put, Indo-European spirituality).
    They're ok I guess. STJ comes off as a bit of a poser but his videos are educational. Varg is a psychopathic maniac but the way he lives and behaves is probably the closest you will get to the 'role model pagan'.

About the 'bringing back' part: alot of the stories and legends in Greek myth for example are documentation of events that really did happen albeit some exaggeration.

That being said I see no point in worshipping a long gone Achilles for winning a war over 3500 years ago. If I was pagan I'd much rather worship heroes that built Canada or the heroes of the Greek Awakening because those events are relatively recent and actually beared significant impact on how me and my people live today.

My opinion is we cant 'being it back' because it doesn't work. Pagans were never surrounded by Christians or Muslims and the moment they were they were slaughtered by the thousands. Pagans were an overwhelmingly collectivistic and tribal people and that lifestyle contrasts greatly how any modern European ethnic group operates, even the most collectivistic.

There must be two things for paganism to work:
    -Religious/spiritual homogeneity
    -Primitivity and tribality

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Religion
    Indo-European
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    They're ok I guess. STJ comes off as a bit of a poser but his videos are educational. Varg is a psychopathic maniac but the way he lives and behaves is probably the closest you will get to the 'role model pagan'.

About the 'bringing back' part: alot of the stories and legends in Greek myth for example are documentation of events that really did happen albeit some exaggeration.

That being said I see no point in worshipping a long gone Achilles for winning a war over 3500 years ago. If I was pagan I'd much rather worship heroes that built Canada or the heroes of the Greek Awakening because those events are relatively recent and actually beared significant impact on how me and my people live today.

My opinion is we cant 'being it back' because it doesn't work. Pagans were never surrounded by Christians or Muslims and the moment they were they were slaughtered by the thousands. Pagans were an overwhelmingly collectivistic and tribal people and that lifestyle contrasts greatly how any modern European ethnic group operates, even the most collectivistic.

There must be two things for paganism to work:
    -Religious/spiritual homogeneity
    -Primitivity and tribality
    If you look at Varg's videos and 'get to know him a little' you will see that he is not a psychopath at all. I believe what he did was in self-defence against an actual psychopath; against someone who planned on torturing and murdering him while filming it.

About Jive; he does come off as a little bit prentious but he is doing really valid research focussed on both European spirituality and genetics.

I think the first step for us is to overcome christian ways of thinking and seeing the world. For example, a first good step is to understand that life is all about cycles and not lineair.

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 04:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic (Atlanto-Nordid)
    Ethnicity
    Cajun (Acadian) French/Louisiana French
    Ancestry
    Cajun (Canada/France)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Louisiana
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H1
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 41

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    If you look at Varg's videos and 'get to know him a little' you will see that he is not a psychopath at all. I believe what he did was in self-defence against an actual psychopath; against someone who planned on torturing and murdering him while filming it.

About Jive; he does come off as a little bit prentious but he is doing really valid research focussed on both European spirituality and genetics.

I think the first step for us is to overcome christian ways of thinking and seeing the world. For example, a first good step is to understand that life is all about cycles and not lineair.
    No, the self-defense story is total crap. He killed Euronymous and also handed over the shotgun shells to Pelle Ohlin. He premeditated the murders. He can't get a job in Europe because of this; so he faked the story and created his own Pagan cult group.

He is inferior anyway; and most of the stuff Varg talks about are things I've already known as a Cajun. He preys on naiver Europeans. My dad taught me a lot about this world and considers himself an Agnostic. We always supported Serbs even prior to the break-up of Yugoslavia. I've always seen Varg as less talented, a liar and up his own ass.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Religion
    Indo-European
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beauvais View Post
    No, the self-defense story is total crap. He killed Euronymous and also handed over the shotgun shells to Pelle Ohlin. He premeditated the murders. He can't get a job in Europe because of this; so he faked the story and created his own Pagan cult group.

He is inferior anyway; and most of the stuff Varg talks about are things I've already known as a Cajun. He preys on naiver Europeans. My dad taught me a lot about this world and considers himself an Agnostic. We always supported Serbs even prior to the break-up of Yugoslavia. I've always seen Varg as less talented, a liar and up his own ass.

I don't see why Serbs are relevant to this discussion though.

About Varg: His teachings apart from his persona definitely have some merit and could point many people into the right direction --> European ways of thinking and becoming self-sufficient. Nothing wrong with that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information