PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Life Inside Hong Kong’s ‘Coffin Cubicles’ - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Inside Hong Kong’s ‘Coffin Cubicles’

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,996
    Given: 12,783

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
    My God, can you imagine the horror if ever there was a fire? I wonder how much they pay for the luxury of these coffins and toilet kitchens.
    Roughly $250 a month.

Last Online
    06-11-2023 @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,762
    Given: 3,655

2 Not allowed!

Could this be partly a result of the Chinese government choosing to add one million mainlanders to Hong Kong's population since the handover for political purposes?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

0 Not allowed!

On another note, it's neither a coincidence Shanghainese only has two tones. Trading cultures tend to have more analytical languages, though I have no proof of that claim. Confirmation bias I think, because Chinese was a toneless language until the Middle Ages I have once heard.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

1 Not allowed!

Could this be partly a result of the Chinese government choosing to add one million mainlanders to Hong Kong's population since the handover for political purposes?
    If there were one million mainlanders entering Hong Kong, which I highly doubt, it is definitely not the Chinese government placing them there. They are probably made up of the rich who are just buying up apartments in Hong Kong, creating resentment from HKers because they see so many filthy rich Mainlanders, who they were taught to look down upon for 3 decades.

Most Hong Kongers' parents or grandparents are actually from Mainland Guangdong originally so that's bull. It's a self-defeating complex that they have which is making them more and more irrelevant.

Last Online
    06-11-2023 @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,762
    Given: 3,655

3 Not allowed!

Interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/w...r.html?mcubz=0

In many ways, Hong Kong as a city has fared better than its people. Since the handover, more than one million mainland Chinese have moved here, contributing their energy and talents to the territory’s economic development. But the newcomers’ success has sometimes come at the expense of those with deeper roots.

Big international companies and banks now aggressively recruit mainland Chinese instead of local residents, who speak Cantonese instead of the Mandarin used on the mainland and who often lack the connections to win deals and thrive there.

The influx of mainland Chinese has also contributed to a historic run-up in housing prices, making Hong Kong one of the world’s most expensive places to live. A single parking space recently sold for $664,000.

Soaring prices and rents have squeezed middle-class families and younger residents in particular, fueling resentment against the mainland Chinese who have poured money into the market. Government measures to limit speculation have not deterred those investors, many of whom are looking for a safe way to get their money out of the mainland.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yeah like I said, they cant handle that they are being bested by Mainlanders who are objectively superior to most of the native Hong Kongers in every way.

Look, the reality is that despite being a very cosmopolitan city, Hong Kongers have an extremely provincial, tribalistic and petty worldview. It's rooted in the clannishness of the Cantonese, who, in comparison to people such as the Shanghainese (whose region had great intellectual and artistic traditions), Cantonese people in general were pretty clannish and family oriented people (centered around petty, trivial things only like money and family matters, overly superstitious, no care about politics or philosophy or any intellectual tradition). This explains why Hong Kong is generally a soulless, materialistic city with a very provincial worldview.

In comparison, most Mainland businessmen and women operate on a huge geographical plane. Mainland China is the size of a continent, so these people are accustomed to operating through many hundreds of cities, regions, sub-cultures, not to mention that now they have global links as well. So it's very hard for Hong Kongers to compete with the attitude that they have.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,710
    Given: 5,851

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    Or London in the past when it was much poorer and dirtier.

It's happening in San Francisco where the average house is $1.4 million, you have people dividing up living rooms and renting out a tiny 60 sf space for $900 a month. You even have people renting out closets and compartments by heating shafts, it's insane.
    I'm well aware of tenements and the uks slum housing. My town was built to house those people into bigger homes.

Dont have to look far, like Gorbals in Glasgow Gorbals images

San Francisco sounds like London. London is like most major cities really, has its nice green spaces too.

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Alien
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    What does that have to do with how people are living in those cities I mentioned vs Hong Kong? The Chinese govt are a bunch of assholes, no shit. Doesn't change the fact that everything I said is right.
    The lifespan of China isn't that high from a comparative context:

List of countries by life expectancy

Note the following from the above link:

Hong Kong is a territory with the world's highest life expectancy according to Hong Kong Department of Health, the life expectancy reached 84.0 years in 2015 surpassing Japan's 83.7 years.

IQ isn't everything and I think a difference of 7-8 IQ points isn't really much of a difference in the same way that one could argue that the difference in IQ along the sexes/gender can go up to 5 IQ points. Now, this is just my own personal theory/belief but I do think there is a cap when it comes to IQ in that I doubt certain Asians and certain Jews will ever average at around 130 which would be two standard deviations from the average IQ of 100. In addition, you have the phenomenon of the regression to the mean along with easiness to actually drop IQ points and the mere event of aging after 22 for example could just about do it. Maybe, perhaps in the future where you have the mean IQ for East Asians being consistently at 115 for a long time like a couple of centuries, is where I could see the argument that regression to the mean would change being that at around 115. As of right now though, even if it was true that folks in Shanghai for example score on average at 115, they could still drop to 107, 106, and 105 as they age.

Finally, one could argue that there's a difference between verbal and quantitative intelligence so intelligence itself might actually be a bit more complicated than just merely stating an IQ number. Aren't there also like so many different kinds of IQ tests out there? One could also suggest a correlation between IQ tests, SAT tests, GRE tests, MCAT test, and many, many other tests even if the correlation is weak are technically a form of IQ testing. Just think about it, such tests supposedly reflect the skills, abilities, and/or capacities of certain professions like lawyer for example, where "lawyer" too is also a reflection of an IQ number.

Jordan Peterson says you start getting dumber at about 22 or 23 years of age in this video:

Also, I believe Jordan Peterson distinguishes between verbal and quantitative intelligence in the above video.
    Last edited by serenesam; 08-30-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes–powerful beams of light. Yes, it was a real light, a powerful, dazzling, blinding light, a light more intense than I had ever produced by the most powerful lamps in my laboratory." - Nikola Tesla

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    The lifespan of China isn't that high from a comparative context:

List of countries by life expectancy

Note the following from the above link:

Hong Kong is a territory with the world's highest life expectancy according to Hong Kong Department of Health, the life expectancy reached 84.0 years in 2015 surpassing Japan's 83.7 years.

IQ isn't everything and I think a difference of 7-8 IQ points isn't really much of a difference in the same way that one could argue that the difference in IQ along the sexes/gender can go up to 5 IQ points. Now, this is just my own personal theory/belief but I do think there is a cap when it comes to IQ in that I doubt certain Asians and certain Jews will ever average at around 130 which would be two standard deviations from the average IQ of 100. In addition, you have the phenomenon of the regression to the mean along with easiness to actually drop IQ points and the mere event of aging after 22 for example could just about do it. Maybe, perhaps in the future where you have the mean IQ for East Asians being consistently at 115 for a long time like a couple of centuries, is where I could see the argument that regression to the mean would change being that at around 115. As of right now though, even if it was true that folks in Shanghai for example score on average at 115, they could still drop to 107, 106, and 105 as they age.

Finally, one could argue that there's a difference between verbal and quantitative intelligence so intelligence itself might actually be a bit more complicated than just merely stating an IQ number. Aren't there also like so many different kinds of IQ tests out there? One could also suggest a correlation between IQ tests, SAT tests, GRE tests, MCAT test, and many, many other tests even if the correlation is weak are technically a form of IQ testing. Just think about it, such tests supposedly reflect the skills, abilities, and/or capacities of certain professions like lawyer for example, where "lawyer" too is also a reflection of an IQ number.

Jordan Peterson says you start getting dumber at about 22 or 23 years of age in this video:

Also, I believe Jordan Peterson distinguishes between verbal and quantitative intelligence in the above video.
    You're comparing a continent sized country of 1.3 billion people with varying levels of development to a tiny city state. Of course HK will be higher on average development standards across the board. China just started really developing in the 80s, it's improved significantly since then.

It doesn't change the fact that large parts of China have already been well developed.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

1 Not allowed!

In a way I'm glad that the Hong Kongers are being eclipsed by the mainlanders. They are arrogant and pretentious.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information