g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

4 Not allowed!

Default There is no consistent self.

I high-lighted the most important part for you.

It's rare that science and religion see eye to eye on anything, but Buddhism and neuroscience both say there is no "you" or "me."

Neuroscience and Buddhism agree on a very big concept: there is no consistent self. Buddhism has been teaching the concept of anatta, the idea of not-self, for thousands of years, but now Evan Thompson of the University of British Columbia has confirmed the science behind it, according to Big Think.

Thompson said, "The brain and body is constantly in flux. There is nothing that corresponds to the sense that there's an unchanging self."
    That's actually great news for our self-esteem, because as Thompson puts it, "when there is no consistent self it means that we don't have to take everything so personally."

This idea could help us overcome the things we struggle with, both mentally and physically. Thinking of ourselves as forever unchanging is extremely limiting, but if we accept that we are not consistent beings, it might be easier to be the people we want to be.

If you think back to your life five or 10 years ago, it's easy to illustrate this concept. For most of us, our work, our relationships, our friends and what we considered important 10 years ago are not exactly the same today. If we're always changing and evolving, the things that consistently bother us don't really matter that much.

Buddhism and neuroscience actually have pretty similar goals: to understand the mind and how to use it to make us happier beings. But it's up to us to put those understandings into practice.
    https://www.seeker.com/buddhism-and-...m=seekersocial

Last Online
    10-01-2020 @ 06:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 217

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cniva View Post
    If you think back to your life five or 10 years ago, it's easy to illustrate this concept. For most of us, our work, our relationships, our friends and what we considered important 10 years ago are not exactly the same today. If we're always changing and evolving, the things that consistently bother us don't really matter that much.
    This section is of relevance to myself.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...art-bit-by-bit

I think I am a good example of someone who has a less consistent self than most with minimal progression and change occurring in my life. The results can be detrimental as you can read in the above thread.

Neighborhood Friendly Nuna <3
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Austronesian
    Ethnicity
    Samoan
    Ancestry
    Samoan
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Longbowman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,533
    Given: 11,712

0 Not allowed!

I tend to consider this grotesque way I have about questioning others in regards to my observations as obtuse, as I tend to ask questions that tend to trip others' personal sense issues. I use this understanding to further understand myself, and what kind of person I want to be. Almost like understanding their personality traits will act as map markers for me to continue to whittle and design the direction I want my mind to go in.

For myself, I have an idea of how I'm supposed to be, and that I am moving more towards my true self with each decision I make that solidifies my willpower. I tend to "throw away" useless thoughts that do not gel when thrown at something. I wonder what that means bottom line since I've only recently got that I'm an emotional being hiding in a bundle of nerves.

I'm editing some document I don't feel like editing. I was thinking of my grade school best friend and how I wanted to text her, as I haven't heard from her in a long while, but that would take away from this project. Yet, I'm sitting here in TA and writing this out. Is it that I can't let her go or that I don't deserve her that I choose to work on this project and take a break on TA?

It bothers me that I tend to be non communicative to my friends. They usually have to reach out to me and make contact, and then I fill that void like water in a jar. I am not sure if I should focus more on dividing my energy more cleanly or I should close off my heart chakra to work on the root and sacral.

Neighborhood Friendly Nuna <3
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Austronesian
    Ethnicity
    Samoan
    Ancestry
    Samoan
    Country