Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,183
    Given: 16,899

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    The murder rate is probably a consequence of heavy drinking. Finns appear to drink a lot and that's when violence normally happens. Sober people rarely get involved in violent confrontations.

The suicide rate is probably a consequence of the climate's effect on people's mood. People with a tendency towards depression are heavily effected by climate.
    Finland is the sixth nation worldwide with most guns per capita. It makes it easier to commit murder and suicide.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

The murder rate is probably a consequence of heavy drinking. Finns appear to drink a lot and that's when violence normally happens. Sober people rarely get involved in violent confrontations.

The suicide rate is probably a consequence of the climate's effect on people's mood. People with a tendency towards depression are heavily effected by climate.
    There is actually a gene for impulsive behaviour found in violent offenders at higher rate contra rest of the population

Being impulsive at the shopping mall is one thing, but the personality trait at the extreme is linked to violence and criminal behavior. Now scientists have found a gene mutation behind such impulsive behavior.
    The gene mutation affects the action of the neurotransmitter serotonin, a hormone known to be related to self-control, according to the researchers.
    The mutation, which is found only in Finnish populations, shows up three times more often in violent criminal offenders than in psychologically healthy Finns, the study found. However, the researchers caution that the mutation itself does not cause impulsivity, but may play a role along with factors like gender, alcohol consumption and stress.
    "We've known that impulsivity is strongly influenced genetically, but here's a severe genetic variant that does contribute to it," study author David Goldman, a geneticist at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), told LiveScience.

Impulsive genes
    Earlier studies have found that low serotonin levels are associated with impulsive behavior. Research also has suggested a heritable component to impulsive behavior and to disorders involving impulsivity, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
    In the current study, researchers recruited 96 Finnish men who were in jail for violent offenses and 96 psychologically healthy Finnish men who were not incarcerated. Finns were chosen for the study, because the Finnish population is more isolated than other populations and therefore hosts a less-diverse array of genetic mutations.
    Goldman and his colleagues analyzed each man's genome, focusing on 14 genes known to be related to the function of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin. They found a mutation on a gene called HTR2B was associated with impulsive, violent behavior. HTR2B contains the instructions for a serotonin receptor found all over the brain, especially in the frontal lobe, the seat of impulse control. The mutation in HTR2B is a misplaced "stop codon," or genetic code that halts the transcription of a gene into a functional product. The stop codon prevents the expression of the serotonin receptor.
    History of violence
    Seventeen of the 96 inmates had the gene mutation, a rate three times that of the non-incarcerated participants. On average, the prisoners had committed five violent crimes apiece, 94 percent of which occurred under the influence of alcohol. The crimes were not premeditated and were usually an overreaction to a minor incident, the researchers report. The study also revealed that 70 percent of participants with the mutation had displayed suicidal behavior.
    To better understand the role of the gene, the researchers bred mice with the same mutation. They found that mutated mice were more likely to show impulsive behaviors when exposed to new objects or environments than were regular mice. The mice with the mutation also had higher testosterone levels, a trait they shared with human men with the same mutation.

Genes aren't destiny, the researchers were quick to warn.
    "The [mutant] allele can be regarded as one determinant of behavioral variation," the researchers wrote. "However, the presence of [the mutation] was not in itself sufficient: male sex, testosterone level, the decision to drink alcohol, and probably other factors such as stress exposure, all have important roles." (An allele is a gene variant.)
    In other words, Goldman said, the gene isn't sufficient to turn someone to a life of crime.
    "What we've extrapolated is that over 100,000 Finns carry this variant," he said. "Most of them will never commit any highly impulsive act, much less a criminal act."
    The fact that the mutation is only present in Finns is a reminder of the genetic diversity of complex traits like psychiatric disorders or propensity toward impulsivity, University of California, San Diego psychiatrist John Kelsoe wrote in a News & Views article accompanying the study.
    "But although this specific mutation is absent in non-Finnish populations, different mutations in the HTR2B gene might operate in other populations," Kelsoe, who was not involved in the study, wrote.

https://www.livescience.com/9197-imp...nnish-men.html

Now it is finally proven that suicidal behaviour is linked with higher testo/manliness. Take heed.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Like I said...Finns are ''unique''. They are also one of the World's happiest nation (no matter of their high suicide rate). Any idea how this can be (I know)?

Last Online
    06-11-2023 @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,762
    Given: 3,655

2 Not allowed!

What caught me off guard is the fact that alcohol consumption is actually relatively low in Finland (even Portugal is above them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita). However, I suspect this is because alcohol is taxed to buggery over there. In Finland, all you can find in supermarkets is relatively low-alcohol beer. You have to go to special government-controlled off-licences even to buy wine, let alone spirits, and they seem to be rather few and far between.

The next question is WHY alcohol is taxed to buggery in these countries. I would venture to suggest it is precisely because these governments are fearful of how much their people would drink if they could afford it.

And the next question is WHY these people would drink heavily if given the opportunity. I think climate is relevant. Very short winter days are bloody depressing. The people are not very outgoing and sociable. It is very common there not to have very much contact at all with neighbours. They work hard during the week, and at weekends go off to their huts and cottages by the lakes, so there is very little 'community' amongst neighbours who barely see each other from one month to the next. They like keeping themselves to themselves.

Basically, Finland is one of the few countries where 'neighbourliness' is defined as leaving well alone, rather than seeing how you can be a good neighbour. I probably wouldn't like to live there and be in need, even if the 'need' was just a bit of social contact, because you would never get a charitable neighbour popping round for a cup of tea to ask how you were.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
    What caught me off guard is the fact that alcohol consumption is actually relatively low in Finland (even Portugal is above them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita). However, I suspect this is because alcohol is taxed to buggery over there. In Finland, all you can find in supermarkets is relatively low-alcohol beer. You have to go to special government-controlled off-licences even to buy wine, let alone spirits, and they seem to be rather few and far between.

The next question is WHY alcohol is taxed to buggery in these countries. I would venture to suggest it is precisely because these governments are fearful of how much their people would drink if they could afford it.

And the next question is WHY these people would drink heavily if given the opportunity. I think climate is relevant. Very short winter days are bloody depressing. The people are not very outgoing and sociable. It is very common there not to have very much contact at all with neighbours. They work hard during the week, and at weekends go off to their huts and cottages by the lakes, so there is very little 'community' amongst neighbours who barely see each other from one month to the next. They like keeping themselves to themselves.

Basically, Finland is one of the few countries where 'neighbourliness' is defined as leaving well alone, rather than seeing how you can be a good neighbour. I probably wouldn't like to live there and be in need, even if the 'need' was just a bit of social contact, because you would never get a charitable neighbour popping round for a cup of tea to ask how you were.
    If alcohol would become cheaper here, I'm sure there would be cusp in consumption....but in any longer run...I like to believe it would stable in one level. There are already today lots of people who could buy much more alcohol, but they still will not do it. Normal rythms of life puts some limits.

Yep. Average level Finns are not the hardest drinkers in Europe. But some alcholics drinks a lot. No matter how much it costs.

Yes. Goverment is worrying if comsumption of alcohol would rise. But mainly because in Nordic countries (incl. Finland) nation pays hospitality costs, treatise costs, medicins. Same goes with alcoholics (so it does't matter if you have caused your healthy problems by yourselves).

Yep. Finns are the worst people what comes to ''small talks''. Finns 'hate'' that ''theater'' (= both sides knows it doen't mean anything => waist of time/useless/meanless).
    Finns needs alot of personal space too.
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 09-10-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,759
    Given: 8,734

0 Not allowed!

Many finns take the ferry for Tallinn (Estonia) where they can buy alcool for a very cheap price. I don't think it's taken in account in the alcool consumption.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
    Many finns take the ferry for Tallinn (Estonia) where they can buy alcool for a very cheap price. I don't think it's taken in account in the alcool consumption.
    It has been calculated....but only with using estimates.
    Estonia is also rising alcohol taxes now in next 3 years time.

So the next stop/place might be Latvia (also to Estonians).

La Vecchia Guardia Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romantic
    Ethnicity
    Italicus nobilis
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Corsica
    Y-DNA
    J2 or whatever
    mtDNA
    H something
    Taxonomy
    Apenninid
    Hero
    Alan Lomax
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,744
    Given: 3,832

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Yep. Finns are the worst people what comes to ''small talks''. Finns 'hate'' that ''theater'' (= both sides knows it doen't mean anything => waist of time/useless/meanless).
    Finns needs alot of personal space too.
    An introverted Finn will look down at his shoes when talking to you. An extroverted Finn will look down at *your* shoes when talking to you.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,970
    Given: 12,774

0 Not allowed!

From the study posted by Harkonnen.

Seventeen of the 96 inmates had the gene mutation, a rate three times that of the non-incarcerated participants. On average, the prisoners had committed five violent crimes apiece, 94 percent of which occurred under the influence of alcohol. The crimes were not premeditated and were usually an overreaction to a minor incident, the researchers report. The study also revealed that 70 percent of participants with the mutation had displayed suicidal behavior.
    Alcohol is the absolute worse. I never heard of someone beating their wife, stabbing a friend, or fist fighting with a stranger over a perceived slight with smoking pot but yet there still people - such as prison guard associations in the US - who want to keep pot from being decriminalized. I've never heard of someone dying if they stop smoking pot but plenty of stories of alcoholics dying after going cold turkey.

I would be in support of taxing alcohol as they have cigarettes here.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    An introverted Finn will look down at his shoes when talking to you. An extroverted Finn will look down at *your* shoes when talking to you.
    True.
    And if you continue talking ''nonsenses''...he will finally ''silence'' you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information