Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 597

0 Not allowed!

Can somene ban this motherfucking retard ... Oh lord o lord, i have never met an idiot like this Laberia.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleo Haemonic
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric and Pindus mountains
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Goteborg
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean-Dinaric
    Politics
    Classic Liberal
    Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laberia View Post
    You Arab retard. This are part from traditional costumes:
    You dont wear these outside of wedding you son of a whore. Your mother maybe wear these everyday to show how much money she made from prostitution.

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipėri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilecce View Post
    Thats an old tradition, its also done in Albania. Before when all money were coins it was done much more elegantly.

I believe this is a tradition that evolved with people of higher class and prominence, your general population couldn't afford it.

When a girl reached a certain age to get married, she was to be dressed very simply and without jewelry, a veil upon her head and to not wear anything red. While during the wedding, the accessories had more prominence spiritually than aesthetically, some jewels and coins protecting the girl from ''black magic'' rather than to be used as something to show off, as it is today.

I've never heard of a money dance either, the most famous dance is ''shamija e beqarit'' and if anything, it actually burnt the fabric.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleo Haemonic
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dinaric and Pindus mountains
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    Goteborg
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean-Dinaric
    Politics
    Classic Liberal
    Hero
    Sokrates
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbėrori View Post
    I believe this is a tradition that evolved with people of higher class and prominence, your general population couldn't afford it.

When a girl reached a certain age to get married, she was to be dressed very simply and without jewelry, a veil upon her head and to not wear anything red. While during the wedding, the accessories had more prominence spiritually than aesthetically, some jewels and coins protecting the girl from ''black magic'' rather than to be used as something to show off, as it is today.

I've never heard of a money dance either, the most famous dance is ''shamija e beqarit'' and if anything, it actually burnt the fabric.
    Here yu have a link with a list of weddings, pick whichever one you like. Every single one of them shows women wearing their money (coins).

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=e+diell+dasem

I have seen in the north where the women wear so much coins that you can not see the colour of her shirt. They even wear them on their heads. And of course they are showing off, its the exact same principle that they use in this modern video with paper money.

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipėri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilecce View Post
    Here yu have a link with a list of weddings, pick whichever one you like. Every single one of them shows women wearing their money (coins).

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=e+diell+dasem

I have seen in the north where the women wear so much coins that you can not see the colour of her shirt. They even wear them on their heads. And of course they are showing off, its the exact same principle that they use in this modern video with paper money.
    I didn't deny that, but to have a money dance, no. The coins weren't just used as show off, but had spiritual meaning as well, many different parts used different coins and values, depending on their merchantry.

Coins are what replaced the facial art, such as the drawing of the blue eye for example, a tradition that has been mostly abandoned, used rarely by some Albanians or Goranis.

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Politics
    NWO Masonic Luciferianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,385
    Given: 31,174

1 Not allowed!

What's the big deal.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

This kind of "money dances" in Greece, are associated with gypsies who are fond of such things. Noone smashes dishes in Greece either, that was a 60s thing.

But apparently these exist in other parts of the world as well.

wedding traditions from other cultures

The Money Dance (Poland)
    The Money Dance or Dollar Dance first came to prominence in the early 20th Century, and is believed to have evolved from a folk dance performed by couples married during Europe’s harvest season. Traditionally, the bride wears a purpose-made apron over her wedding dress, and guests must then pin money to her in exchange for a dance. Like most traditions, there is an order of etiquette that should be observed; the groom being first, followed by the father of the bride, relatives then close friends. The Money Dance is found in many cultures and, though traditionally it involves male guests paying to dance with the bride, these days many female guests will do the same for a dance with the groom.

Polterabend (Germany)
    Plate-throwing is a custom synonymous with lively Greek wedding receptions, but they aren’t the only ones who know how to have a good time smashing plates. In fact, the German tradition of Polterabend is alleged to be older, originating in a time when it was customary to smash a clay altar immediately following a sacrifice to the Germanic gods. Traditionally, Polterabend takes place on the evening before the actual wedding, and guests are expected to bring small gifts, as well as the obligatory plate or flowerpot for throwing. The action of smashing either is thought to bring luck to the couple and while the pre-wedding party is still popular in some parts of Germany and the US, however many modern brides now incorporate the tradition into the wedding reception instead.

Blackening (Scotland)

You need to have a sense of humour to partake in the Scottish pre-wedding tradition of the Blackening which involves being covered in mud, muck and/or soot the day before your wedding. The tradition is thought to have originated in Scotland’s Orkney Islands, and involves both the bride and groom being smothered in a mixture of tar and feathers (but it could also be flour, eggs or curdled milk), then either tied to a tree or paraded through the town’s streets in humiliation. This rather messy tradition is meant to give the bride or groom a ‘taster’ of the humiliation that married life may bring.

The gift of 13 coins (Spain)
    Whether pinned to an apron or sealed in a bag, there’s no mistaking the importance of monetary wedding offerings to various cultures. In Spain, it’s customary for the groom to present his bride with a bag containing thirteen gold coins on the eve of their wedding. The 13 coins represent Christ and his 12 Apostles. The bride must then carry her bag of gold coins during the ceremony. Some couples follow the older Roman custom of presenting one another with coins during the wedding ceremony; the bride a bag of silver, and the groom a bag of gold as a pledge of commitment and support to his bride.

Throwing a wine glass (Italy)

Italian weddings tend to be lavish affairs guided by religious customs and rites and several of these traditions are seeping into non Italian weddings, including the traditional coffee-laden wedding cake. Many Italian grooms uphold their tradition of throwing a wine glass at the wedding reception. The number of shattered glass shards is said to foretell the number of years the couple will remain happily wed and prosperous.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,179
    Given: 12,243

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brennus dux gallorum View Post
    For the most part, there were neither mosques (only in administration centers), nor architecture, (in 2/3 of the country architecture is more similar to Southern European countries than to Anything turkish, but at least mosques can't be considered influence, as it was not for Greeks.

Cusine on the other hand had some 10% overlap, with most of it being either persian/levantine originated dishes that were adopted by Greeks, or dishes of Greek origins, common in the rest of mediterranean Europe, which were adopted by turks. 2-3 turkish-ottoman originated dishes and drinks also existed, like turkish coffee, trahana, and yoghurt (i can't think of anything else) long before anatolian Greeks.

anyway, the only sure is that 90% of Greek cusine is different from turkish and mostly related to Southern European, meanwhile Turkish has no difference from the rest of mena cuisines, so what the autistic turkish member does is cherry-picking
    You all forget that people of different ethnicities lived in the same place around for 400+ years. Some foods could be Greek, some Armenian, some Turkish, some Persian adopted, it doesn't matter. And the naming is irrelevant. If a food is as old as Ottoman empire, most likely that will have a name that is Turkified. Duh

Anyway, I agree with brennus. There is a 10% overlap or something, so stop twisting your panties over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandfriendship View Post
    BTW - you having a picture of Pyrrhus as your avatar is the Albanian equivalent of Michael Jackson bleaching his skin white.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 998
    Given: 821

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen B View Post
    You all forget that people of different ethnicities lived in the same place around for 400+ years. Some foods could be Greek, some Armenian, some Turkish, some Persian adopted, it doesn't matter. And the naming is irrelevant. If a food is as old as Ottoman empire, most likely that will have a name that is Turkified. Duh

Anyway, I agree with brennus. There is a 10% overlap or something, so stop twisting your panties over this.
    Probably much higher than 10%. Many of the dishes called "traditional Greek food" are actually Turkish or Arabic origin , for example, in this page i came accross during search.
    https://bucketlistjourney.net/tradit...eat-in-greece/
    But, by the third trip to the Mediterranean country there was a deep love fest forming for the tasty traditional Greek food. My days (and nights) were filled with moussaka, tzatziki and frappes.
    I agree that cultural interaction is inevitable for people who live together for long time. But it is funny to refuse your own culture, the food you eat every day, for the sake of being european.

I think some Greek members of TA stuck in between irresistable taste of the ME dishes and being european. Make a choise, Baklava or EU?

Nightrider approaches the subject logically. There was not any invisible wall before 1923.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,179
    Given: 12,243

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by adsız View Post
    Probably much higher than 10%. Many of the dishes called "traditional Greek food" are actually Turkish or Arabic origin , for example, in this page i came accross during search.
    https://bucketlistjourney.net/tradit...eat-in-greece/
    Having a Turkish name, doesn't make it Turkish.And many of them aren't even Turkish or Arabic.
    Plus, the list is missing some great popular foods that are important in the Greek cuisine.

I agree that cultural interaction is inevitable for people who live together for long time. But it is funny to refuse your own culture, the food you eat every day, for the sake of being european.
    As long as it enters my stomach and I like it , I don't care. I'd eat some of the pastries every day, I couldn't care less if they are Turkish or French or whatever

What is funny is that you are trying so hard to associate Greece as much as possible, with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandfriendship View Post
    BTW - you having a picture of Pyrrhus as your avatar is the Albanian equivalent of Michael Jackson bleaching his skin white.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information