Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Default Aspirin 'can re-grow rotting teeth by being used to fill cavities'

Aspirin 'can RE-GROW rotting teeth by being used to fill cavities'

DENTAL experts will today outline a revolutionary plan to “re-grow” rotten teeth by using aspirin to fill cavities.

By CYRIL DIXON
    PUBLISHED: 00:01, Thu, Sep 7, 2017 |

Aspirin 'can RE-GROW rotting teeth by being used to fill cavities'

Researchers believe their breakthrough could spare dental patients years of agonising toothache and save the NHS thousands of pounds in treatment costs.

The team from Queen’s University, Belfast, have discovered that aspirin could reverse the effects of decay by stimulating stem growth in teeth.

They say that by replacing the synthetic material used for fillings with the everyday painkiller, they would encourage the tooth to “self-repair”.

“There is huge potential to change our approach to one of the biggest dental challenges we face.

“Our initial research findings in the laboratory suggest that the use of aspirin, a drug already licensed for human use, could offer an immediate innovative solution enabling our teeth to repair themselves.”

By analysing tooth genetics, they concluded that aspirin has properties which stimulates stem cell growth and regenerates the damaged tooth structure.

Treating the stem cells with a low dose of the painkiller “significantly increased” the formation of dentine - the hard bony material ofwhich teeth are made.

Dr El Karim said: “Aspirin can enhance the function of stem cells found in the teeth, thus helping self-repair by regenerating lost tooth structure.

“This novel discovery, coupled with the known anti-inflammatory and pain relieving effects of aspirin could provide a unique solution for controlling nerve inflammation and pain awhile promoting natural tooth repair.”

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...cavities-teeth

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Contrary to what your dentist may tell you, you CAN reverse tooth decay, new research finds
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 by: Jhoanna Robinson

A recent study brings good news to people who have a sweet tooth and those who neglect to properly brush their teeth. Scientists were able to discover that teeth have the ability to reverse tooth decay; meaning, traces of such tooth damage can be totally gone, thus doing away with the necessity to undergo oral surgeries or have tooth fillings.

What would this miracle entail? Simple, researchers said. Just take a single aspirin.

“Our initial research findings in the laboratory suggest that the use of aspirin, a drug already licensed for human use, could offer an immediate innovative solution enabling our teeth to repair themselves,” principal investigator, Professor Ikhlas El Karim, a senior lecturer in the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences at Queen’s University Belfast (QUB), said.

“Ideally, what we’re reporting here is that we’re hoping to be able to develop a therapy [so] that the teeth could repair themselves,” Karim added. (Related: Stop gum pain and tooth decay with sustainable dentistry.)

What the researchers did was collate previous research data to be able to point to aspirin as a compound that can induce the gene signature that is needed to make new dentine. Having done so, the QUB scientists treated stem cells in a Petri dish and identified “genetic and also material evidence that it can produce dentine”.

“The next step is to go and try and figure out how you are going to apply the aspirin to the teeth, to regenerate the dentine, and to replace the need for fillings. You need to put it [on the tooth] in a way that bit can be easily released over a long period of time, if you put an aspirin now on a cavity, it’s going to be washed away.

We are not encouraging that, there is a scientific way to go about this, so that we produce a final product that can be used by a dentist, not by a patient. The next step is to work with our pharmacy colleagues to try to develop a vehicle to put it in to the teeth, after the clinical trials,” Karim said.

The fact that aspirin is already a commercially-manufactured product is a boon to the dental industry’s longing to have this endeavor materialize.

“We are not really talking about 10 or 20 years time, it will probably be in the near future that it could be tried in a clinical trial with patients. This novel approach could not only increase the long-term survival of teeth, but could also result in huge savings for the [National Health Service] and other healthcare systems worldwide,” Karim concluded.

Aspirin, which is also called acetylsalicylic acid, is a drug that has been popular for many years now as an effective painkiller. It has anti-inflammatory properties, and is used to soothe headaches, menstrual cramps, and muscle pain. People can get it for merely a penny a tablet.

According to recent data, tooth decay is one among the most common tooth ailments in the world today; it affects a third of adults the world over. Also, it is the number one problem in the teeth of children who are residing in the United Kingdom.

Tooth decay happens when oral acids dissolve the enamel and dentine of the teeth, causing black holes or cavities to form within, around, or on the teeth. The oral acids are caused by bacteria that are found within the plaque – a sticky and thin film – that gets deposited in and around our teeth.

Fillings are usually used to prevent bacteria from totally ruining a single tooth by hindering the cavity from reaching the tooth’s most critical component: the pulp.

Normally, our teeth do not recuperate from the onset of cavities. If worse comes to worst, they can produce a thin band of dentine – the layer just below the enamel – if the inner dental pulp becomes exposed, but other than that they can do nothing: a large cavity cannot possibly be repaired.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

I'm rubbing Aspirin all over my teeth as I type this message.

Last Online
    12-26-2023 @ 08:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Bog
    Ancestry
    North Sea
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Boginator
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Yes
    Relationship Status
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 372

1 Not allowed!

I've read similar things about a combination of vitamins A,D & K2 (must be taken together, preferably from natural sources), and Comfrey Root. Bone broths and egg shells are supposed to help too. It is also important what you DON'T eat/drink.

This aspirin claim surprises me a little, as it's calling for applying an acid onto the tooth for long periods of time, though I'm not sure how strong of an acid salycylic acid is. I'd have thought that to be a bad idea in general, but I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Are your gums going numb?
    https://i.imgur.com/Wpjac1i.png

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,922
    Given: 18,998

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Better stop multitasking like that.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

My teeth are better, root canal avoided, but I'm out of Aspirin

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Bye, bye dentist. Hello Aspirin!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-03-2020 @ 06:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Tronder, KN, NW
    Politics
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 44

0 Not allowed!

Do other NSAIDs also work?

I damaged my stomach when I was treating a foot injury with ibuprofen.

Thread Information