European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by S._Mikal View Post

This satellite photo shows the haze (industrial pollution) coming upr from China, being captured in the Jet Stream, passing over Japan into the Arctic Circle. I then comes back down to Slaska / Canada, eastward to the Northeast coast, out over the Atlantic, into the Arctic again, over the Isles of the Brits, and on into the Eurasia continent.

China has, to date, no industrial pollution regulations. These pollutants come out of China daily, steadily circling the Northern Hemisphere. I daresay this is the main contributing factor for the Arctic glaciers melting and breaking up at a much faster rate than the Antarctica continent.
    Now we know where the causes of Asthma come from...

Proud descendent of the Northmen S._Mikal's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-06-2011 @ 04:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Juteland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Missouri
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Way of Being..Age: Middle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by celtabria View Post
    Now we know where the causes of Asthma come from...
    Yes, and it gets worse. Because there are no industrial regulations in China, the world sends their refuse there for disposal. For example plastics and old cell phones. Paper and aluminum cans. Not all but the vast majority of it goes there. One of China's "new" booming industries.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by S._Mikal View Post
    Yes, and it gets worse. Because there are no industrial regulations in China, the world sends their refuse there for disposal. For example plastics and old cell phones. Paper and aluminum cans. Not all but the vast majority of it goes there. One of China's "new" booming industries.

Yes, so basically they're getting around our regulations to protect the earth by shipping junk to China. Yes it is a bad situation, we need to stop it happening somehow. I'm surprised the EU hasn't done anything about it for Europe, they usually love a project like this.

Proud descendent of the Northmen S._Mikal's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-06-2011 @ 04:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Juteland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Missouri
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Way of Being..Age: Middle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

I found this from January of 2009. Not aware of what has happened since other than a big crunch to get China in step with Globalism.

Last Online
    11-16-2014 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sex Panther
    Taxonomy
    Nordid/DaloFaelid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

I think the Dutch are the experts par excellence on this issue, what with their elaborate, 3,500 miles worth of "dijks". From what I understand, the Dutch have developed a very safe and reliable system, which hopefully can be copied by other European nations in need. The Fens of England could benefit the most from consultation with the Dutch, as Eastern English land has much in common with that of their neighbors on the other side of the Channel.

Apparently, the Dutch rely more on creative manipulation of natural land features to control the water instead of building towering, unsightly flood walls. For instance, Dutch engineers absorb water into purpose-built wetlands, rivers, and canals. As you can see, this whole system has resulted in some very beautiful enhancements of the landscape:

Actually, the Dutch have not only prevented further encroachment upon their land from the sea, but have actually reclaimed land long covered in water. In 1986, they founded the new province of Flevoland upon land which used to be covered by the IJsselmeer.

Some of us have raised concerns about cost; perhaps we could instead look at this as an opportunity for economic and industrial growth. There would be new sources of work for engineers, construction firms, maintenance crews, marine biologists, hydrologists, municipal planners, etc., and perhaps even new businesses could begin on lands reclaimed from the sea.

Interestingly, while some areas face concerns about progressive flooding, other coastal areas are growing due to sediment deposits over the centuries. When I was in England I remember visiting various towns and castles in Sussex where I learned of the medieval "Cinque Ports," which were royal port towns during the Plantagenet period. Some of these "ports" are now several miles inland, and I was shocked to learn that they used to be on the sea.

Then there's Venice, which, in my opinion, needs to be saved at all costs due to its sheer beauty and historical significance. Currently they're building a system of floodgates designed to keep out water up to 3 meters high, called the MOSE Project (Modulo Sperimentale Elettromeccanico). It started in 2003 and is projected to be complete in 2014. The MOSE Wiki page says that it's being built to withstand even the most pessimistic figures of potential rise in sea level (60 cm). It costs a hefty 3 billion Euros It also seems that environmental groups are opposed to it. With all due respect, they can shove it: I'd rather save and than . The government isn't thrilled about it either since it costs so much.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...of-Venice.html

Building erosion is another issue in Venice. One interesting idea is to foster the development of coral on the underwater foundations of buildings in order to safeguard them in a strong, rock-hard encasement of coral.

Another idea is to inject water underneath the city in order to raise it up 30cm, which would bring it back to the height it was 300 years ago. This project also has its critics, who say the plan in only speculative and might not work at all.

Hopefully it will work out for the best and Venezia will remain in place for the next 1,000 years.
    þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think the Dutch are the experts par excellence on this issue, what with their elaborate, 3,500 miles worth of "dijks". From what I understand, the Dutch have developed a very safe and reliable system, which hopefully can be copied by other European nations in need.
    Well with a quarter of their country below sea level I would hope so, its good that they're already prepared.

The Fens of England could benefit the most from consultation with the Dutch, as Eastern English land has much in common with that of their neighbors on the other side of the Channel.
    A Dutchman was instrumental in draining the Fens in the first place, there are some flood protection measures but they need updating. On the other hand though a lot of salt marshes are being recreated or allowed to flood in The Wash, this helps absorb some of the surge waters in the event of a storm and is great for wildlife, especially wading birds. The Wash is similar to the Wadden Sea but much of it has been drained.

Apparently, the Dutch rely more on creative manipulation of natural land features to control the water instead of building towering, unsightly flood walls. For instance, Dutch engineers absorb water into purpose-built wetlands, rivers, and canals. As you can see, this whole system has resulted in some very beautiful enhancements of the landscape:
    That is happening in East Anglia too, areas of wetlands are being allowed to revert to their natural state or expanded to their former range. Much of lowland England used to be a mix of wetlands and woodlands along with the Netherlands before both drained most of it for farmland.
    Wetlands are some of the richest habitats there are for wildlife and in my opinion amongst the easiest to recreate. A lot of "drained" fields in England are in fact very boggy and the drains have fallen into disrepair, I know of many places like this and they eventually get wetter and wetter and get colonized by Willow trees and Downy Birch.
    The UK's upland wetlands fared better than the lowland one's and there's growing interest in expanding the wetland areas, here's a map of former and potential wetland areas, of course not all these areas would be turned over to wetlands, most would probably stay as farmland:

And when you think about it, wetlands create two habitats - a deciduous woodland one and an aquatic one.

Actually, the Dutch have not only prevented further encroachment upon their land from the sea, but have actually reclaimed land long covered in water. In 1986, they founded the new province of Flevoland upon land which used to be covered by the IJsselmeer.

Some of us have raised concerns about cost; perhaps we could instead look at this as an opportunity for economic and industrial growth. There would be new sources of work for engineers, construction firms, maintenance crews, marine biologists, hydrologists, municipal planners, etc., and perhaps even new businesses could begin on lands reclaimed from the sea.
    Yes, I've read about Flevoland, I support it being reclaimed even though it did have an affect on the nature of the area for pretty much the same reasons you highlighted above.

Interestingly, while some areas face concerns about progressive flooding, other coastal areas are growing due to sediment deposits over the centuries. When I was in England I remember visiting various towns and castles in Sussex where I learned of the medieval "Cinque Ports," which were royal port towns during the Plantagenet period. Some of these "ports" are now several miles inland, and I was shocked to learn that they used to be on the sea.
    Yes, I've seen a few examples of places being "stranded" inland which formerly used to be part of the sea. Much of the Holderness coast and coast of Norfolk is being eroded into the sea, people worry about it, but apart for the people who's houses face being swept away I don't think people should threat about it too much because as you say longshore drift carries it elsewhere anyway.

Most of the sediments from Holderness are being deposited further down from it along the Lincolnshire coast and slowly forming new land, this place is a good example:

And Dungeness didn't exist until the middle ages I don;t think.

Then there's Venice, which, in my opinion, needs to be saved at all costs due to its sheer beauty and historical significance. Currently they're building a system of floodgates designed to keep out water up to 3 meters high, called the MOSE Project (Modulo Sperimentale Elettromeccanico). It started in 2003 and is projected to be complete in 2014. The MOSE Wiki page says that it's being built to withstand even the most pessimistic figures of potential rise in sea level (60 cm). It costs a hefty 3 billion Euros It also seems that environmental groups are opposed to it. With all due respect, they can shove it: I'd rather save and than . The government isn't thrilled about it either since it costs so much.
    Yes, Venice is a different matter because its a important city with few areas really for wildlife. Venice, Amsterdam and London must be saved from rising sea levels, they're not the sort of places that can just be abandoned.

We don't want London looking like this...

I've heard that can take a long time when reading about artificial reef formation using electrolysis, you'd be waiting a few decades for any real effects.
    Last edited by Albion; 12-28-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: mistake

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

This is nothing new, of course. The North Sea was once dry land, known today as Doggerland, but called Atland in the ancient legends.

Last Online
    11-16-2014 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sex Panther
    Taxonomy
    Nordid/DaloFaelid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post

Too bad this land formation didn't last longer...would've made the Anglo-Saxon conquest a lot more convenient.
    þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    Too bad this land formation didn't last longer...would've made the Anglo-Saxon conquest a lot more convenient.
    Indeed. And in fact, since the island was inhabited by the ancestors of the Anglo-Frisian tribes, it's quite likely that the eastern part of Britain was already settled by them anyway.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    Yeah, it'd be interesting to see if it would have been absorbed into England or been a very different Germanic nation, I suppose Frisians probably would have settled it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information