W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

1 Not allowed!

Question Are Western men oppressed?

I found this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...g-sex-feminism

"Something interesting happens every time I write a story about gender issues. Men I know, and many more I do not, reach out to me to tell me they feel wronged – silenced, even.

Under a recent article of mine, a Guardian commenter wrote that nowadays he avoided saying much at all to progressive women, but that around conservative women he felt he could talk about “everything and anything – the same as I would most males”. I raised an eyebrow and moved on.

It finally took an email from a well-educated, professionally successful and mostly very progressive male friend of mine featuring a link to a video of women beating up men to make me fully take notice. The video served as an illustration of the ills of the “post-feminist” world it claimed we lived in.

“Come on,” I replied, taking the provocation, and citing statistics showing women are still socially, economically and politically at a clear disadvantage. “You and I both know we do not live in such a world.”

The friend retorted quite seriously that while that may be the case, he believed women were still “having their cake and eating it too”. Feminist advancements had led to double standards, meaning that women were now getting away with stuff men never would, and it wasn’t fair.

Now, a lot of guys have to watch what they say. That’s got to be hard
    I had previously dismissed those arguing that an increasingly equal society had made men the suffering sex. I had thought these views to be marginal – the kinds of things men’s rights activists or dyed-in-the-wool misogynists would chant. But as frustrating as the pushback felt, it became increasingly obvious that there was no denying the consistency, and therefore validity, of the feelings that were being thrown at me.

Acknowledging the validity of this sentiment, I began to wonder if silencing was legitimately what was going on. So I thought to really understand how misunderstood, robbed, wronged and silenced men felt, I should hand over the microphone to them.

(...)

“If the whole world used to be our locker room, then we could say what we wanted with complete impunity. Now a lot of guys have to watch what they say. That’s got to be hard.”

But for many men I spoke to – chosen because of their diversity, openness to dialogue, honesty and lack of overt disrespect towards women – it went beyond no longer speaking freely. Frustrations seemed to run quite deep.

Tom Coss, a 32-year-old butcher based in Seattle, says he is grateful for the opportunity to be silent and learn about some gender issues women face (like catcalling, a reality that he says he was “oblivious” to until recently). Such behavior makes him “embarrassed to be male, and mad”, he says.

But he fails to see why he should be held accountable for problems that are systemic, and to which he did not necessarily contribute to.

“I might be more comfortable walking home at night down a dark city street. I might be more likely to get a job, but I am not necessarily the cause for any of those things. You’re born into that privilege, but you didn’t do anything to expedite that privilege.”

Coss says that in conversations with friends and potential female romantic partners, his experience has sometimes felt disregarded and he has felt misunderstood.

“We talk about accepting people – that someone didn’t choose to be trans, or gay, so don’t judge me for that either: I didn’t choose to be straight, white and male.”

Coss expresses frustration that people seem to be paying attention to gender and race as forms of oppression, something he keeps on being told he doesn’t understand. “If you want to talk about privilege, I feel class is the big divider, much more than race and gender.”

(...)

Treva Lindsey, a professor at Ohio State University in the department of women’s, gender and sexuality studies, says the big question here is: what does it mean to move outside of privilege when privilege is normalized?

“This is a hard unlearning process that has to happen, but feeling silenced and learning how to be quiet is a different thing,” she says.

Lindsey says this is more of a question of learning to create space for other people, and understanding that your thoughts and ideas do not automatically get to be at the center of all conversations.

John Acosta, a 31-year-old design student who grew up in what he describes as a small, conservative town, says that as he has traveled and lived in different cities across the US, he has had to learn to repress some of the behaviors he was taught were right, or polite, growing up.

“The way I was brought up, I would give up my seat to women in the subway – young or old. Now I don’t. I think, OK we are equal. But I still worry. Does she realize that I am not giving her my seat because I think she is as capable as I am of going that one stop?”

When he was an installer at a furniture store, he would go out of his way to help his female bosses, but he quickly had to revisit his approach.

The way I was brought up, I would give up my seat to women in the subway – young or old. Now I don’t
    John Acosta
    “We [men] can be annoying while trying to be helpful. You have to shift your questioning – and instead of saying ‘let me help’, you have to say ‘OK, you’re in charge, what can I do?’”

Jose Oliveras, a 26-year-old bike messenger and independent contractor, says it is hard to know how to talk to or approach women nowadays. Feminism has made him unsure about courting rituals, and driven him to silence.

“You can’t say hello, you can’t compliment, you got to have some prince charming stuff up your sleeve.”

Oliveras recounts simply saying “excuse me” to a woman and being met by a hissing sound through teeth.

“Women aren’t giving it a chance anymore. They are saying I don’t have to do that, make an effort for men. You are removing the men who are trying to create a bond with you. It’s like, OK fine, but it sucks, you know.”

This was echoed by Burton Williams, a 35-year-old senior data engineer who says many women still expect men to be chivalrous, carry bags for them and open doors, but others take offense for the exact same behavior, screaming “woman power” at “almost everything”.

It is confusing, and the mixed messaging can leave men feeling portrayed in the wrong way just for trying to do the right thing.

“I am all for women empowerment but it’s like they want to empower themselves so much that they want to eliminate men from the equation,” Oliveras says, speculating that women these days are no longer interested in creating intimate ties now that they’re less economically dependent on men.

Kimmel, the sociologist, says that the changes that have happened on a gender level within society over the past two generations have been “dizzyingly fast”.

(...)

But it is the other banner so often seen at Trump rallies that resonates even more clearly in this context: “The silent majority stands with Trump.”

“I don’t think they have been very silent,” Lindsey says of Trump supporters."

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

0 Not allowed!

American men marrying a woman from abroad, which accounts for 84% of applications filed. The top ten countries for sending fiancés are the Philippines (17.34 percent), China, Vietnam, Mexico, Colombia, Russia, Dominican Republic, United Kingdom, Thailand and Canada. These top 10 countries are responsible for 53 percent of all K-1 visas issued

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Ethnicity
    Mexican Mestizo
    Ancestry
    Mexico
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Politics
    Center-Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,874
    Given: 12,909

0 Not allowed!

LMAOOOOOOO What a whimp

" Tom Coss, a 32-year-old butcher based in Seattle, says he is grateful for the opportunity to be silent and learn about some gender issues women face (like catcalling, a reality that he says he was “oblivious” to until recently). Such behavior makes him “embarrassed to be male, and mad”, he says.
    "

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

Much more so than females are.

Drunkard of high degree Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-09-2022 @ 09:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Brünn + Nordid
    Politics
    None
    Hero
    My better half
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 84

1 Not allowed!

Overdramatised.

“You can’t say hello, you can’t compliment, you got to have some prince charming stuff up your sleeve.”

Seriously? I'm sure the vast majority of women do not object to being greeted, unless you're being a creep. Also, I have yet to meet a girl that couldn't accept a compliment, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that many men give unncessary and unwanted compliments in awkward situations and expect to be appreciated for the 'effort'. But then again, it seems that it is only in America. Virtually every person I hear complaining about female empowerment happen to be American.

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

0 Not allowed!

Yes
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

Protagonist of Persona 3 Reload Comealongwithme's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 07:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Persona User
    Country
    Japan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 516

0 Not allowed!

Compared to how men live in Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. The West is a paradise and Western men are spoiled brats.

White-Brazilian Pride Worldwide bvnny's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese (Celtic), Italian, African, Native-American...
    Ethnicity
    BR
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L151
    mtDNA
    L3e3b
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-med + Mutt
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Comealongwithme View Post
    Compared to how men live in Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. The West is a paradise and Western men are spoiled brats.
    Both western men and women are spoiled
    Me after My Heritage estimated me to be 1/8 anglo:

Protagonist of Persona 3 Reload Comealongwithme's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 07:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Persona User
    Country
    Japan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 516

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bvnny View Post
    Both western men and women are spoiled
    True.

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,095
    Given: 24,273

2 Not allowed!

There are no concrete examples of oppression or double standards in this Guardian article. The only first hand experiences relayed were of women being super rude, not oppressive. The rest of the article was about a general sense of butthurt that these men have to stoop so low as to, what, be considerate of other people's feelings?

I'm not saying these guys can't feel hurt when a woman is super mean or rude to them, they're entitled to that, and I definitely don't approve of super rude and mean behaviour. That being said, it's not "male oppression" when you're expected to act in a polite and respectful way.

But I think new double standards have absolutely been created that are causing men to be oppressed, in some ways. Sweden actually outlawed their own affirmative action program when it started benefiting men over women, as apparently when it's guys getting the help it is no longer a useful tool to balance things and instead "pure patriarchy". The Duluth model of domestic violence has sent untold numbers of men to prison, even if they're the ones who were getting beat up.

Anyway, I've never had a woman expect me to carry her bags lel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

Thread Information