Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Hi Ashworth, and welcome to the forum!

I think your English is fine.

Are you from South Korea? How long have you been learning English?

Northern English accents tend to be much broader than southern English accents. (I find the further north one travels in the British Isles, the broader the accent becomes - especially in the Highlands of Scotland.)

Here's a video I made on YT 3 years ago speaking in English, (it's my native language as I'm from southern England.) I don't have any strong regional accent.

These videos may help you too... they're made by a southern English female called Lucy, who is an English teacher. Her YT channel has lots of videos about the English language - which you may find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz4...able_polymer=1

Also music may help too... these three songs below are sung by southern English people.

American and French people have what is often called as 'nasal accents', and a lot of sounds in the American accent are made from the mouth area according to linguists so they have more of a flatter sound as they tend to talk more from the mouth, whereas British people tend to use both the mouth area and the deeper-sounding throat area, which creates a variety of tones during speech.

This song is sung by a Northern English death-doom metal band (from Yorkshire.) I love the warmth of Northern English accents, (especially Lancastrian and Mancunian accents.) Aaron Stainthorpe (the vocalist) uses his throat area a lot.

Received Pronunciation (RP) is the accent of Standard English in the United Kingdom and is defined in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary as "the standard accent of English as spoken in the south of England", although it can be heard from native speakers throughout England and Wales.Peter Trudgill estimated in 1974 that 3% of people in Britain were RP speakers, but this rough estimate has been questioned by the phonetician J. Windsor Lewis.

RP enjoys high social prestige in Britain, being thought of as the accent of those with power, money, and influence, though it may be perceived negatively by some as being associated with undeserved privilege. Since the 1960s, a greater permissiveness towards regional English varieties has taken hold in education.

The study of RP is concerned exclusively with pronunciation, whereas Standard English, the Queen's English, Oxford English, and BBC English are also concerned with matters such as grammar, vocabulary and style. An individual using RP will typically speak Standard English, although the converse or inverse is not necessarily true. The standard language may be pronounced with a regional accent and the contrapositive is usually correct. It is very unlikely that someone speaking RP would use it to speak a regional dialect.

There's a large variety of different accents across the British Isles in England, Wales, and Scotland. In addition to regional accents, there's also a variety of accents within the various social classes too.

Accents change with different eras of time. You can hear some very dated accents in old news video reports and movies from other eras of time, for example. The Queen's accent is different to the accent of her daughter, Princess Anne, for an example of different generation accents, and Prince Charle's accent and the late Princess Diana's accent sound different to Prince William and Kate Middleton's accents.

These are some Scottish men talking in the video below, (subtitles are included on the screen to help people to understand what they're saying.)

I think some of the commonest mistakes people make when typing in English, is a misunderstanding of the different meanings and spellings of the words 'They're,' 'Their', and 'There.'

Also the words your and you're are sometimes confused by people.

The different meanings, spellings, and pronunciations of the words 'loose' and 'lose' too... i.e; I've often seen non-English people incorrectly write, 'I need to loose weight.'

Another common error I've noticed is the use of 'an' before certain words that begin with a U. Usually 'an' is used if the following word begins with a vowel letter, but exceptions to the rule apply if the vowel is pronounced like the Y sound in 'you', such as 'an Ukranian' which doesn't sound correct in English;- it's 'a Ukranian'... despite the usual rule of using 'an' before a vowel.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-13-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-24-2023 @ 12:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British-Iberian
    Ancestry
    Home Counties of England, Northern Iberia, Southern Brazil
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,398
    Given: 1,472

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashworth View Post
    Thank you! Really informative response.
    Didn't know about "QI", "Would I Lie To You" and "Mock The Week". I'll give it a try definitely.
    As for "Downton Abbey", yeah, I saw 3 seasons, it's very useful in terms of pronunciation practise. And I'll read about the other stuff you mentioned.

By the way, I like David Firth, he is a very talented guy. He makes surreal, satirical and sometimes frightening animations.

David Firth is creepy AF, but I do appreciate his style.

Also, look for some audiobooks on Youtube, go for British authors because while written English doesn't change that much between General American and Standard British, the accent(s) will, and if it's written in Standard BE it will nearly always be read to you in Received Pronunciation. Then once you have the audiobook version, get ahold of a copy of the book in written form. Either paperback, or ebook etc....
    You can also find free .epub and .pdf copies around the web, but I can't tell you how here, hehe.

If you have a subscription to audible.com, then even better!

If you don't, then here's a famous example, you might have already read it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7QJB02BVU
    Now with that you can set the video speed to a slower setting and read the book along with the narrator. Just don't have the speed any lower than 0.75 because then the sound will be too distorted to discern any accent.

I hope that helps!

Last Online
    12-04-2017 @ 10:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 52

1 Not allowed!

Hi, Lily. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    Are you from South Korea? How long have you been learning English?
    Nope, I just picked a random flag. I'm from Russia. Well, we have English classes in schools and colleges so I can say I have been learning it for quite a long time. The problem is that I didn't put much effort into a learning process.

I enjoy all types of British accent, I must say. And I probably understand southern ones better.

Also thanks for your tips and videos.

Speaking of accents and pronunciation, I've just remembered this great (but also depressing) film.

Spoiler!

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Hi, Lily. Thank you!

Nope, I just picked a random flag. I'm from Russia. Well, we have English classes in schools and colleges so I can say I have been learning it for quite a long time. The problem is that I didn't put much effort into a learning process.

I enjoy all types of British accent, I must say. And I probably understand southern ones better.

Also thanks for your tips and videos.

Speaking of accents and pronunciation, I've just remembered this great (but also depressing) film.

Spoiler!
    Ah, so you're Russian! That's nice! I love Russian accents. Something I like about the sheer variety of accents in the world is that it tells people where a person is from. I think it would be boring if everyone sounded the same.

I've not seen that film before.

I think you're underestimating your ability to write and understand English... I can understand your English perfectly fine. (I can't speak any Russian. I think Russian is a beautiful language.)

These are some southern English accents:

11:20

The differences between northern and southern accents (below.) Some are easier to understand than others - which requires closer listening skills. Also there can be some types of southern accents which can be tricky for some people to understand, particularly native Cornish accents and Bristolian rhotic accents in the West Country (south-west England,) for example.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 11-13-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Last Online
    03-20-2022 @ 03:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Caucasoid
    Country
    Greenland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 286

1 Not allowed!

welcome

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Hi, Lily. Thank you!
    You're welcome.

According to linguists there's 56 main ''accent types'' in the British Isles and hundreds of variations. Despite the small size of our nation, there's more variation of accents in the British Isles than in all the rest of the English speaking nations. https://www.quora.com/How-many-accen...-North-America

There are about 56 main "accent types" in the British Isles (or less controversially the "Anglo-Celtic Isles"), but within each of those accent types there are scores or even hundreds of distinctive variations.

An example would be the Yorkshire accents which are officially given only 1 entry. However, local people can hear the difference between the pronunciation and vocabulary of towns just 5-10 miles apart.

In London alone, a veritable melting-pot of a city, the 3 distinctive accents of North London, South London and Cockney are still distinguishable amid the cacophony of accents and languages brought in by commuters and immigrants.

In parts of Yorkshire, England, the 2nd person singular pronouns and adjectives "thou, thee, thy" are still used even among young people, and they have a very distinctive Viking-influenced vocabulary. For example, ta = thanks, laik = play, barns = children (List of Yorkshire dialect words of Old Norse origin)

By way of contrast, there are about 42 recognised accents in the USA and 7 in Canada with much less town-to-town variation and much more mutual comprehensibility.

Having more accents in a tiny island nation but fewer in an enormous landmass might seem strange, but the reason for this is of course historical. People first settled in Britain and Ireland thousands of years ago when there was no media which has a tendency to level accents and standardise vocabulary. There has been a lot of time for those accents to diverge. In addition, most of the accents of North America are variations and blends of accents found in Britain and Ireland. Sadly, it is estimated that we have lost about half of the regional accents that existed in Britain and Ireland about 150 years ago and as the media levels accents further, we will see even more losses in the future.

In terms of the distribution of accents in North America, the western parts of the USA were not settled by English-speakers until about 150 years ago, so it is no surprise that the accents there are not as varied as the accents in the 13 original states of the USA.

Here is a relatively comprehensive, but by no means exhaustive list of some of the main accent types in the Anglo-Celtic Isles and anglophone North America:

English English

North England
    Cheshire
    Cumbrian (Cumbria including Barrow-in-Furness)
    Geordie (Tyneside)
    Lancastrian (Lancashire)
    Mackem (Sunderland)
    Mancunian-Salfordian (Manchester & Salford)
    Northumbrian (rural Northumberland)
    Pitmatic (Durham and Northumberland)
    Scouse (Liverpool)
    Smoggie (spoken in Teesside)
    Yorkshire (also known as Broad Yorkshire) (spoken in Yorkshire)

Midlands
    East Midlands
    Black Country
    Brummie (Birmingham)
    Potteries (north Staffordshire)
    Telford (east Shropshire)

East Anglia
    Norfolk
    Suffolk

South England
    Received Pronunciation
    Cockney (working-class London and surrounding areas)
    Essex
    North London
    South London
    Estuary (Thames Estuary)
    Kentish (Kent)
    Multicultural London English (Inner London)
    Sussex

West Country
    Anglo-Cornish
    Bristolian

Scottish English

Scottish English
    Highland English
    Glaswegian

Scots (sister language originating from Middle English)
    Doric (North East of Scotland)
    Shetlandic (Shetland Islands)

Welsh English

Cardiff
    Gower

Northern Irish English

Mid Ulster English
    Belfast
    Derry
    Ulster Scots
    South Ulster
    Isle of Man
    Manx English
    Channel Islands
    Guernsey English
    Jersey English

Irish English (Republic of Ireland)

Cork
    Dublin 4 (D4)
    Inner city Dublin
    Donegal
    Kerry
    Louth
    Limerick city
    Midlands
    Sligo town
    Waterford city
    West
    Wexford town

American English

General American

New England English

Boston accent
    Boston Brahmin accent
    Hudson Valley English
    Lake Dialect or Lake Talk
    Vermont English

Inland Northern American English
    (includes western, central and upstate New York)

Northeast Pennsylvania English

Mid-Atlantic dialects

Baltimore dialect
    Philadelphia dialect
    Pittsburgh English
    New York dialect
    New Jersey English dialects

Inland Northern American English
    (Lower peninsula of Michigan, northern Ohio and Indiana, Chicago, part of eastern Wisconsin and upstate New York)

North–Central American English
    (primarily Minnesota, but also most of Wisconsin, the Upper peninsula of Michigan, and parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, and Iowa)

Yooper dialect (Upper Peninsula of Michigan and some neighboring areas)

Midland American English

North Midlands English (thin swath from Nebraska to Ohio)
    St. Louis
    South Midland (thin swath from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania)

Miami English

Southern English

Appalachian English
    Tidewater accent
    Virginia Piedmont
    Coastal Southeastern (Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia area)
    Cajun English
    Harkers Island English (North Carolina)
    Ozark English
    Southern Highland English
    Gullah or Geechee
    Texan
    Yat dialect (New Orleans)
    Ocracoke
    Florida Cracker

Western English

California English
    Boontling
    Pacific Northwest English

Hawaiian Pidgin

Cultural Dialects
    African-American Vernacular English (AAVE)
    Chicano English
    New York Latino English
    Pennsylvania Dutch English
    Yeshivish
    Yinglish

Canadian English

Newfoundland English
    Cape Breton accent
    Lunenburg English

West–Central Canadian English
    Northern Ontario English
    Quebec English
    Ottawa Valley Twang
    Pacific Northwest English

Last Online
    12-04-2017 @ 10:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 52

1 Not allowed!

Ah, so you're Russian! That's nice! I love Russian accents. Something I like about the sheer variety of accents in the world is that it tells people where a person is from. I think it would be boring if everyone sounded the same.
    Perhaps some people in the UK like Russian accent, but I'd like to get rid of it (of course after reaching good level of English, grammar and vocabulary above all). It's kinda boring to have your native accent of foreign language, you know. By the way, can you always tell where is a person from judging by an accent? I mean from what part of the UK. It's not that simple in Russia, I guess.

think you're underestimating your ability to write and understand English... I can understand your English perfectly fine. (I can't speak any Russian. I think Russian is a beautiful language.)
    Well, unfortunately, I'm not. It's really hard to express my thoughts with such poor skills of writing and speaking. Even replying to your message is not so easy. But it's fine, I will improve it.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Euromongrel View Post
    David Firth is creepy AF, but I do appreciate his style.

Also, look for some audiobooks on Youtube, go for British authors because while written English doesn't change that much between General American and Standard British, the accent(s) will, and if it's written in Standard BE it will nearly always be read to you in Received Pronunciation. Then once you have the audiobook version, get ahold of a copy of the book in written form. Either paperback, or ebook etc....
    You can also find free .epub and .pdf copies around the web, but I can't tell you how here, hehe.

If you have a subscription to audible.com, then even better!

If you don't, then here's a famous example, you might have already read it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7QJB02BVU
    Now with that you can set the video speed to a slower setting and read the book along with the narrator. Just don't have the speed any lower than 0.75 because then the sound will be too distorted to discern any accent.

I hope that helps!
    Thanks, mate, it's helpful.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Perhaps some people in the UK like Russian accent, but I'd like to get rid of it (of course after reaching good level of English, grammar and vocabulary above all). It's kinda boring to have your native accent of foreign language, you know. By the way, can you always tell where is a person from judging by an accent? I mean from what part of the UK. It's not that simple in Russia, I guess.

Well, unfortunately, I'm not. It's really hard to express my thoughts with such poor skills of writing and speaking. Even replying to your message is not so easy. But it's fine, I will improve it.

Thanks again.
    Hi Ashworth.

Yes, people can often tell which region where someone is from in the UK by their accent.

For example, most people can tell if a person is from Scotland, England, Wales, or if they're northern or southern English, for examples.

Accents are so varied that they can't always be pinpointed to an exact and precise location, (unless somebody has a distinct West Country, Cockney, Scouse, Geordie, Brummie, or Mancunian accent, for examples,) but people can still get a general gist and idea of an approximate location of where someone is from by their accent.

Although if a person has lived in different areas during their childhood and formative years, (which is a time when an accent is being formed and developed,) it can be more difficult to locate where a person is from.

Even if you don't find it easy to reply in English - I admire your effort, determination, and perseverance. (I don't know how to form a single sentence in Russian!)

A lot of things in life can seem difficult at first, (such as when a person first begins to learn to play the piano or violin, or learns and practices a new sport, etc,) but with study, practice, exposure, patience, and determination, it will become easier.... like learning a new language.

Wishing you a pleasant evening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information